“Great/clean/convenient hotel, as described!”

Landmark Canton Hotel
Ranked #48 of 3,466 Hotels in Guangzhou
Canada
“Great/clean/convenient hotel, as described!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked a Deluxe Twin Room with River View which said it was between 13th-19th floor, and features modern Chinese-style furnishings and flatscreen tv. Luckily, it was exactly as described. I had read some reviews that got me worried. We had a room on the 17th floor and had an amazing view of the River. Everything seemed new, and most importantly, clean!! The beds were comfy and had no troubles sleeping. The bathroom came with a rain-shower head, which felt extra luxurious. Fitness facility had limited equipment, but it was good enough for a quick workout. Location was great! Very close to the Haizhu Square train station. There's also a 24hr (I think..it was open even at 4am, so I'm assuming its 24/7) seafood restaurant for dim sum around the corner. There's a convenient store in the lobby, and a 7-11 a block away. There's also a night club (Hei Hei Club) next door - Hiphop/house/top40. The staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

We saw a floor from the elevator that wasn't renovated and it did seem very dated, and that's how I feel some of the reviews were based on. So the key is to make sure you were on renovated floor!

I also stayed at Guangzhou Hotel, which was a few blocks away from Landmark Hotel. That hotel felt very dated compared to this. So if you were comparing which of the 2 to stay at...choose Landmark!

I had absolutely no issues. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get yourself a renovated room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank enku

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I go to Guangzhou as many as 5 times a year. The first time I went to Guangzhou (2006) I didn't know where to stay. I browsed through internet and found that Landmark Canton Hotel is the nearest to my supplier's office. I never stayed at the Landmark Canton so I didn't know what to expect. But according to my friends who have stayed there before the hotel is relatively clean and has an easy access to the surrounding area. The recommendation turned out to be a true one. I found the hotel clean (despite the hygiene situation in China). From that moment on I always stay there. And I have recommended the hotel to my friends and colleagues. But my last experience has changed my opinion about the hotel.

Last time I stayed there was during my quick trip to Guangzhou (September 1 - September 4). I entered the room and found the room dirty. I can tell the carpet hasn't been vacuumed. And to my horror when I went inside the bathroom I found the bath mat was dirty (black-ish and it seemed like it has mold all over it), the bath curtain was also dirty. To top all of that the toilet was unable to be flushed. I have complained several times to the front desk and to room service but to no avail. I told them that the safe deposit box was not working either. The room service came to my room and to my horror just take the safe deposit box and changed into a new one. It left me fearing that if someone decided to steal my safe deposit box they could just take mine and replaced with a new (and empty) one. So I felt disappointed with how they responded to my complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank MikieMikey

Travelers are raving about these Guangzhou hotels

SG City
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We have stayed five nights with this hotel. We were given a newly renovated room. Everything is good and very comfortable. Location is good. Right smack at down town and near MTR. In the evening, they will place hotel slippers to ready the masters. Good service and very comfortable stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SGCity
paraguay
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel has a nice location with a nice view of the pearl river, there are plenty of good restaurants around and about but the hotels 2nd floor restaurant has great value for money and a good assortment of dishes, the business center has plenty of options for booking activities should you find yourself with free time. Not all the staff in the hotel speak English, but those that do are very friendly.

The hotel has a number of shops inside from jewelry, tea shop and a mini supermarket that can come in handy. The breakfast buffet has a broad selection of varied items, some of the local cuisine dishes are available in between days. Rooms are clean, spacious, and beds are comfortable, laundry is fast and reliable, but the gym could use a total make over as its old and not very well equipped.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nicolasgoddone
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Renovated rooms are great. Really clean and comfy. We have been in old rooms as well, can not compare! Breakfast is nice, big selection of cantonese and western food. Love the location of this hotel! This is the main thing why we are back in this hotel. Be aware that staff speak poor english, although it is better than last year. Def try the 1920 restaurant, that offers german food. It is about 5min walk by pearl river.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel is located near the metro station, with a nice park at the entrance and has a bus transfer terminal for Hong Kong, Macau and other mainland cities.
Reception staff have excellent English language skills.
Originally booked two non-smoking rooms however were given two smoking rooms on a floor where renovations and painting were happening.
A quick call to reception by my travelling companion and we were allocated two older non-smoking rooms on a lower floor. All was good after that - I'm becoming used to harder beds in Chinese hotels and slept very well for the three nights (28/7, 29/7 and 30/7) we were there.
Only had breakfast one morning in the hotel - on 39th floor - try the asian cusine - far better than the English breakfast. I liked the wide selection and different tastes.

Room Tip: Try the restaurant on the second floor - it's very busy at peak times - the food is excellent...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PAC6917
Desenzano Del Garda, Italy
Reviewed July 30, 2012

well ... if you don't mind a bat flying around the corridors and a cockroach as a room mate ... and the staff that promisses you they will clean the room better when you complain about the cockroach ...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business