“Good Choice”

Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre
Ranked #14 of 3,517 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I often stay here when visiting Guangzhou on business. You enter a large lovely busy-ish lobby. Check in very pleasantly and speedily handled which is a vast improvement from my previous visits. Being a platinum member I got an upgrade. The room is very spacious and very modern. On my floor I couldn't notice anything but my associates were a couple of floors below and as you get off the lift there is a stale smell lingering in the background. When you enter the room, it's gone so that's a blessing. Decent enough TV channels but being in China any additional channels are always appreciated. Breakfast also seems to be getting better with their variety starting to cater for the foreigners. Overall a huge improvement in service and also I noticed that many staff had started understanding English which is such a pleasure. Hats off to you guys... Well done! Will definitely return to this establishment God Willing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
CPCityCentreGZ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear AzTee,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre. As an IHG Rewards Platinum member (formerly PCR) we appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back time and time again. Please let me know if I can offer any assistance for any future bookings.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Location : 10/10

Rooms : 10/10 ( very spacious rooms). Bit old furniture but....its..OK.

Room charges : 8/10 Bit pricy but you get excellent service

Bed/ Comfort : 9/10

Staff : 10/10 ( Extremely helpful staff) 95% of them are english speaking.

Concierge : 10/10 ( very very helpful)

Amenities in the room : 10/10, Upto the mark & standard

Breakfast : 10/10 ( Lot of variety)

Lunch/Dinner : All time dining provides almost everything ( Chinese, Western, Arabic,Asian etc). Once, I ordered Butter Chicken in the lunch which tasted very good.

Pool : Good small pool with very friendly staff.

Near by : Across the road a good mall (bit pricy) with a good super market & and many restaurants like KFC, Chinese, Tandoor (Indian), lot many arabic restaurants can be found within a walking distance of 0-500 meters.

Bus Service- Shuttle service for Airport is at every 30 min which starts at 5am. It charges less than 20 RMB

Metro Station - 5 min walking to left of your hotel.

Lobby - Sitting arrangement is limited in lobby but they have bar on same floor which is quite spacious.

What I paid : Around 145 US$ per night including BF with a welcome drink

Special : They have ATM as well as currency exchange machine in the hotel premises. They have staff every where for your attention. I have never seen such service.

Suggestion- If you are in Guangzhou, please be careful for counterfeit currency especially from Taxi Drivers or road side vendors. Do not take 100 RMB note from them. Always carry small denominations with you. I suggest to draw money from ATM rather then getting exchanged in the market.

Recommendation - Very good for singles and excellent for families.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms at higher level to have good view of the downtown.
1  Thank rsoodmail

Dear roodmail,

We are so pleased to receive your comment, I think that many future guests will find your feedback very helpful and informative! Thank you for taking the time to offer this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel many a times since 2009. The ever smiling and caring staff at your service every minute. The restaurant serves one of the best continental and international flavors of delicious delicacies. You are provided with local shuttle service to nearby downtown by the Hotel. There are many parks and sports auditoriums around. Many Industrial belts make the business trip with comfort. The hotel is equipped with both hot and warm pools and high tech Gym. The rooms are pleasant and luxurious of typical Crowne plaza international standard. I enjoyed my stay of 3 weeks recently and this one of the best hotel experience in southern part of China.

Room Tip: Chose a room facing forest and hilly side, take the top floors for better view...!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Rajesh_International

Dear Mithare,

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback! I see from the details in your response and the photos that you in fact enjoyed your stay at our sister hotel Crowne Plaza Guangzhou Science City! I will be sure to pass on your high praise to them. On behalf of the entire IHG Group, we look forward to welcoming you back to any of our locations worldwide.

Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel has big, spacious rooms and bathroom.
The rooms are nice, quite and they have a very comfort bed.
Although the nice rooms, I have been quite disappointed. First of all from the dirty closet and from the fact that, during my stay there for one week, they have never change the sheets!The wall to wall carpet was also very very dirty, full of stains!
Furthermore, the first night i've been there, i tried to close the sliding door that separates the bathroom from the main room, and the wallpaper collapsed, leaving a black dirty wall.
I had to ask to change room, that was not very easy to achieve, not beacause they didn't want to help me but because it was impossible to communicate in there.
Infact, it was only when a non-chinese person appeared that i've resolved the problem.
But the language problem existed in every part of the hotel: to the breakfast and the restaurants (we received different things that the ones we'd asked for and the only thing the waitress said was "sorry. mistake"! ), the reception and of course the room service (it took me 20 minutes to make my self clear for asking a plate of rice and not...ice!)
It is really a pity because the hotellooked so nice and comfort.
But i think they really need to take care of cleanliness and to assume people who can really speak english (at least!).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear katerunz,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am so disappointed to learn of the issues and frustrations you encountered during your stay with us. In regards to the cleanliness, this has been brought to the attention of our management and they are reviewing with our housekeeping. My apologies about the struggle with some of the staff's English abilities. Please be rest assured that we are always trying to improve, offering classes and the team is putting high importance on this issue. I thank you for your patience as we continually work on this. I do hope that you will trust to return to our hotel in the future and I will be happy to offer my personal assistance in any way possible.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Each time we stayed in the club floor. The bellboys are really efficient and friendly and speak good english.

We enjoy the breakfast buffet, and the chinese chef from canada is really cool too. They have fresh vegetable juice!

The first time we stayed we enjoyed the spa on the 5th floor but lately they've been under renovation so the way there is dusty.
They have a good heated pool.

Sometimes the internet in the room is hit or miss but at least it's included in the price.

The location isn't that important as we took cabs everywhere!

Room Tip: Club floor is pretty good so you can avail of the cocktails when you're too lazy to go out to ea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
CPCityCentreGZ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear halaka,

It is always so great to hear the feedback of our valued guests. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our Canadian Western Chef David Chow, he will be delighted to hear he could make an impression on your stay. I am sorry you experienced some difficulty with your WiFi, next time please notify us right away and we can have our IT check the connection in your room. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay in Guangzhou!

Jenny MacDonald - Guest Services Manger

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Crowne Plaza is quite strategically located amidst the hustle and bustle within the Guangzhou city center. This is where all the action is and the hotel has an impressive building with some amazing views of Guangzhou downtown. This was one of the reasons for us to choose a 5 star property right in the city center.

We had a very late check-in at 2.00 am in the night (a late flight) and above that being a Friday night I figured most of the regular staff at the reception was replaced my more inexperienced ones. The check-in was no doubt simple and fast but we had booked 2 rooms and had specifically asked them to be on the same floor (even had an email letting them know that we would be checking in very late) which the staff at the reception refused stating that they did not have any free rooms. We did ask him to get back to us if a room was vacated and if he could move us the next day but I don't think that request was paid any heed too. Generally, whenever I check into a 5 star or a hotel of this stature, a staff is sent along to walk us through the room and the controls but surprisingly there was no one and we walked up to the room ourselves and figured most of the things inside on our own. English though is a problem in the country, I had expected much better standards at the front desk because they would be getting travelers from all over the world. We were also told that breakfast is not included and we can take an upgrade of RMB 300 (plus taxes) which we didn't feel was worth it unless we were spending a lot of time in the hotel.

The room was the best part of the hotel, designed well with simple lines and very practically. It was very spacious and impeccably clean with a large toilet which had a Jacuzzi and a separate shower area. The bed was comfortable and I slept well on it. The television though left much to be desired with hardly any channels and as a result I didn't switch it on at all. I love to watch TV in my room and that was a dampener for me. The mini bar was well stocked and the housekeeping did a great job keeping the room clean and tidy with the amenities replenished in time. I did not order much from housekeeping or room service but my fellow traveler did complain about the staff's failure to understand request and the long time taken to deliver stuff.
I tried the buffet breakfast at the coffee shop once and the spread was good. The selection was well done with a good mix of International and Chinese cuisines. The service at the buffet was a little slow though and sometimes I felt they mixed up the diners. The top floor lounge was a nice place to unwind and have a drink with some amazing views of the downtown.

I would however commend the staff the day we checked out in helping us find our iPhone chargers which we forgot in the room. They took pains to locate it and deliver it to us before we left. It was a great effort by the manager and even if he had not done it we would have not complained about it.

Overall I loved the property and its location, but I would suggest that the staff is trained to become more responsive to the guest which would enhance the traveler's experience manifold.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 39 and above have direct access to the top floor lounge, other floors need to change...
1  Thank EMM_KAYY
CPCityCentreGZ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear EMM_KAYY,

Thank you you for choosing Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre as your hotel of choice. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some inconveniences during your check in. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can review our servcie standards with our late night team. I have brought this to the attention of the manager. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and the breakfast. I do hope that you will choose to return to our hotel for your future travels to Guangzhou. Please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help make arrangements for any special requests!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was the site of a conference we attended, and I make it a habit to always stay at the conference hotel as a matter of convenience. Since I have a Priority Plus membership I had a second reason to stay here. For this stay, rather than take standard conference accommodation, I decided to choose a "deluxe" room.

On arrival at about 6:00 p.m. there was no lineup at the check-in counter. Check-in was quick and I found all employees, from the door onward had a decent command of English. The room rate as booked did not include breakfast which, on its own, is quite expensive. We opted for a package upgrade that included breakfast and a daily allowance of items from the mini-bar and cleaning services (which I used). The upgrade was 400 RMB, but this was still less than the items would have cost individually.

Now for the room. In size it would be about equivalent to two standard rooms in any other hotel. It would have been a suite except for the fact that the sleeping area only had a partition as opposed to a wall and door. There was a seating area with a little table in front of the TV and a separate desk/work area. Because of the size there were separate air conditioning controls for the sitting and sleeping areas.

The bathroom was enormous! The bathtub was deep and totally square, so no problem fitting wide shoulders. The tub could easily accommodate two people. Unfortunately it was just a tub and not a Jacuzzi. The separate shower stall was very large and water pressure was impressive. Standard soap, shampoo and conditioner were provided in the shower and bath salts in the bathtub. The bath towels were the size of beach towels - thick and fluffy - and I noticed they had a manufacturing date which was just one month ago.

Now for the bed. At home I usually sleep no more than 4 to 5 hours. Here I managed a full 8 hours. The bed was somewhere between firm and soft (I suspect a firm mattress with a pillow top). There was no noise, either from the hall or outside. The one strange thing that disturbed me was the way the A/C unit turned on and activated the light in the walk-in closet. I fixed this by leaving the fan set to low, rather than auto.

Both wired and wireless internet are provided and included in the room fee.

On check-out, once again there was no line-up, even though it was peak time. They had our receipt already printed, so no waiting. That's very efficient!

Breakfast in "Fresh", which is the restaurant on the 5th floor was quite good. I've had better in some places, but I've had far worse in far too many places. Although it was good I did feel it was overpriced.

We also dined a few times at the Cantonese style restaurant on the 4th floor. Again, not cheap, but the food quality and service were excellent (which is why we dined there more than once).

Finally, there is a McDonald's in the building for quick lunches and snacks. In addition to two bank machines at the back of the lobby, there is also a full branch of the Bank of China in the complex, with 5 more ATMs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AllanPage
CPCityCentreGZ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear AllanPage,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I think many readers will find your information very helpful as I have also. I am so happy to hear that there was so many great points during your stay and it sounds like you would be confident in choosing Crowne Plaza Guanghzhou City Centre as your hotel destination for travel in Guangzhou. Your comments are very informative and thank you for mentioning about your closet light sensor. I have never received this feedback before but I will have our rooms department look into this right away! We are so looking forward to welcoming you back and if there is any assistance I can offer I would be delighted to do so.

mt@gz63.cn