“Great Hotel for Canton Fair”

Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre
Ranked #12 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Weston, Florida
“Great Hotel for Canton Fair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great hotel for the money and super convenient if you are going to Canton Fair. Rooms are large, beds are great, A/C is not restricted like in some other hotels. Staff is outstanding and very helpful with a pretty good knowledge of surrounding area. Most of the front desk staff speaks very good English. There are really good restaurants within a 5 min walk of the hotel and some good pubs. The night club just outside the front door is one of the oddest I have ever seen, there is no bar, only VIP table service and bottles only, at ridiculous prices

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Joe S
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear guest,
Our team strives to exceed the expectations of our guests and provide the true hospitality of a 5 star hotel. Next time you come to Guangzhou, welcome to explore more about Guangzhou as well as our hotel.
By the way, if you felt uncomfortable in the night club outside the front door, you can have a try in out Lobby Lounge where you can enjoy various drinks, cocktails and, an excellent live band singing and performing! Many guests love them! I'm sure you will enjoy your night there.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre in the near future.

cynthia.xia@gz63.cn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was looking for my friend who was a hotel guest at the hotel. She travelled all the way from the other side of the world and I came from Hong Kong and we both did not have a local mobile number.

On evening of 27 October/morning of 28 October, I was waiting for my friend who was supposed to be waiting the lobby. She wasn't there yet, so I approached the reception asking nicely for help so that I could try contact my friend at her room. For some reason, the male receptionist was very defensive and told me to call the guest's mobile and because it was "sleeping time" he cannot help me connect to the room and there is absolutely NOTHING he can do about it. I asked him, if I rang the hotel now what would they do - "your call would not be connected," he bluntly said. He did not apologise for the inconvenience nor offered any ways he could help and just sat down and continued to look at the computer monitor and ignored me.

With my experience of calling guests at various international hotel chains, I was pretty sure that there is no such thing as "sleeping time" unless the guest specifically requested DND and no calls are to be connected to the room. In this case, he did not even try to ask for the guest's name and check whether such request was placed.

Regardless of whether there is an actual "sleeping time" policy when no calls can be connected to any guest's rooms, I am extremely disappointed with the attitude of your staff, Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre. Sorry, I will not recommend this hotel to my friends visiting GZ anymore, like I did this time - simply for the reason that your staff was rude and that being a guest there would therefore become non contactable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nodnarb0312
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write the review during your short stay at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.
We are concerned to hear about your unhappy experience with the service of our front desk staff and would like to further clarify this matter with you, all the FO staff wanted to do was to ensure the guest(your friend) had a good, undisturbed rest in our hotel, which is also our promise to all guests. We are very sorry that his manner annoyed you and please accept our apology. The training of our colleagues is a vital part of our operation and we do apologies if they have not been attentive and focused, this has been addressed to the concern departments. If time allows please do contact me and I would be more than happy to address this concerns with you.
Whilst I certainly regret that your recent experience at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre left you feeling disappointed, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our service standards.
I hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future and do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.
Thanks with best regards.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here for a night at the weekend (leisure trip), the hotel was fine, nothing to complain about in terms of:
* cleanliness
* service

However, I would advise leisure travellers to look elsewhere, the location is not very good.
The surrounding area is a ghost-town, nothing happening at the weekend.

Breakfast was OK, not really up to the level for a Crowne, but I suppose it's tailored to the place it's in.

I was on the 53rd floor, nice view of the city, you can certainly begin to comprehend the scale of GZ from up there.

Hotel bar was dead, not even a pianist in sight.

Room was fine, nice shower and bath, comfortable bed, if I had to complain, I'd say the TV was too small (but no big deal).

in short, choose this hotel if and only if you have business in the vicinity, else you're going to get to know the metro (very good) very well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking your time to write your review on your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre.
After reading your review I was very concerned to learn that your experience was far from satisfactory, please accept our sincere apology for not being able to meet up to your expectation.
However, I ensure that the surroundings has much more to offer if you would like to explore. Actually the area our hotel is located is a top night life district in Guangzhou recommended by many guide books and magazines. There is a club "LiliMarleen" just beside the hotel. If you go further(not far really, within a few minutes's walking distance), you will find Jianshe Road Six is a hotspot of exotic bars, coffee shops, restaurants and book stores. Among them "Peoples Cafe"
"No. 9 Garden""1920 Restaurant and Bar" "37º2 Paradise""Pandan Indonesian Restaurant" "Yazhuang Vietnamese Restaurant""Amber Cantonese Restaurant""Buongiorno Italian Restaurant""Tomatoes Pizzeria""Sabah Malaysian Restaurant""Latin Mexican Restaurant""Tekila Authentic Mexican Bar&Restaurant""La Colonial Shanghai Restaurant""Bellagio Taiwan Cafe"“Brothers Hong Kong Cafe""Happy Monk Bar""Vincent Bar" and also two exclusive art stores "The Benshop" and "Tangning Bookstore". They are most popular among the young and I am sure you will enjoy them!
Our new appointed Western Executive Chef from Vancouver has been improving our breakfast in Fresh All Day Dining Restaurant and now we have much more delicious specialties to offer. Next time you stay with us, Fresh will present you a surprise!
We have a band performing at the hotel Lobby Lounge every night from 19:15 to 22:15. There is pianist, guitarist and vocalist in the band and the band has been much loved since they performed at our hotel this year. You can have good rest just listening to their music and enjoying drinks and snacks in the Lobby Lounge.
Most of the hotel rooms offer excellent views for guests, You can enjoy the view of Baiyun Mountain and Guangzhou's city view.

Whilst I certainly regret that your recent experience at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre left you feeling disappointed, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.
We all are looking forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to further discuss your stay or any other assistance required.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've visited Guangzhou for several times and taken metro and bus so often. This time, I came to go up to Canton Tower (600m, observation deck:433.2m), look Guangzhou International Finance Center (437m) and go to Foshan (about 30km south west of Guangzhou). The reason why I stayed at this hotel was to take a higher floor room and look them through south faced window.
I could take a room at 50th floor (the hotel has 63 floors), but unfortunately it was a rainy day (next day too), I couldn't. I asked how to get there and got a small fold type map where the Tower and the Center were shown. And I was taught that now metro was extended to Foshan (Zumiao station). On the first day, I visited the Center and looked the Tower, and on the second day, I went up the top of the Tower and looked the Center from there. After that, I went to Foshan by metro. When I came back, I dropped at Gongyuanqian station and walked Beijinglu (busiest street) for the third time.
The reception people were all kind and the map was very convenient. And there was a big study desk in the room different from Ambassador hotel, Vienna. I took lunch and dinner at Japanese restaurant every day. I was fully satisfied during the stay at this hotel and in Guangzhou.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tadahiro H
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Tadahiro,
Thank you so much for choosing Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre while you are travelling to Guangzhou! It was such an honor that we could have your comments and high valuation regarding to our service. We are delight that you enjoyed our facilities and service. Most of our guests rooms offers you the best view and scenery of Guangzhou including Luhu Lake Park, Baiyun Mountain and Tianhe Downtown.
Next time you come to Guangzhou, please do contact our colleagues for more local information and I am sure that they are happy to show you the nice scenery and facility in Guangzhou.
Thank you for choosing our hotel while you back to Guangzhou, We are looking forward to welcoming you again for a renewing experience at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre and wish you all the best!

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our hotel was arranged by the vendor of my sister’s institute. It is very new and modern. There is beautiful colour changing laser light in the hotel lobby.

Our room is huge with an area outside the washroom for putting iron board and clothing. There is also desk with internet access connection.

The outdoors swimming pool is much smaller than the standardized pool. Yet I did enjoy swimming there in early morning when it was not crowded.

We had a full and satisfied breakfast. There were a variety of choices. There was delicate tea set with several different kinds of Chinese tea leaves provided. Fresh yogurt was supplied as well.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nemo_aussie
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write the review and we are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre. Thanks very much for sharing the beautiful pictures you took of our hotel.

Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hotel in downtown close to anywhere you may want to go. Rooms are just OK, nothing special , good price for thi sstandard hotel, staff very friendly . Will be good to ask for higher floors of course for better view .Recommended

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank keserhus
CPCityCentreGZ, Public Relations at Crowne Plaza Guangzhou City Centre, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us.
We appreciate to hear that you truly enjoyed our service and your experience has been positive.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back again if you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed 3 nights here in a very spactious Club room on the 55th floor and benefitted from the Club lounge which offered peace and complimentary food and drink at the end of the day in light, calm surroundings. In contrast, the hallways seemed rather dark had a musty smell. My room and bathroom (with bath) was enormous although again, a little dark. The staff were all very attentive and eager to please but not always quite on the ball language wise (a request for tape resulted in them bringing in the engineer with ropes! but we got there in the end). This said, the lobby staff were kind enough to help me with my bad Chinese.
The Fresh all-day dining restaurant offered a satisfactory breakfast (nothing special) and I had the buffet there one evening but it was quite empty which was off-putting as it's a very large room and there are lots of staff watching my every move. As a lone traveller, I preferred the club lounge which was more intimate. The lobby bar was also nearly alwatys empty and I was refused my voucher there for a welcome soft drink when I ordered iced tea.
Location wise, this hotel was very close to my meetings and not too far from Guanggzhou East station (by taxi) and there is an large luxury shopping centre a 3 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Worth chosing a Club floor room