“large room but old furniture”

Gangrun Xi'erbin Hotel
Ranked #996 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed August 16, 2012

the hotel its seem old hotel , when you enter the room you will be happy as its too large but then become not happye becuase the furnture old style and the carpets not clean .
bathroom not large as the room
,resturant is ok and there is section for the westren food , the staff on the reception was helpful with me .area of the hote also ok you can walk to big mall near
during my stay its was the cantoon fair and usually the hotels increase there price very much during cantoon fair ,alo most of the hotel was fully booked I choose this hotel but I will not come agin I dont like it at all and its better pay more money and go to better hotel if you can ,always money talk .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank moh-alshakah

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Well on the plus side the hotel has clean rooms.

The front desk service is disorganized and incompetent taking over 15 minutes to process my check-in.

The hotel is part of a China Mobile Office block so you have to wait a long time for an elevator at the start and end of office hours.

The western restaurant is not - I think it means that they have menus in English.

One plus point is that there are no ladies of the night hanging around so suitable for kids.

No room safe or English TV stations. The Internet was intermittent but free.

Average for business but would not pay personally for a room.

Room Tip: Have stayed in 2 rooms both OK.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I would recommend that if you are planning on staying at this hotel, don't stay at this hotel. I recently stayed at this hotel with my Family. We had 2 rooms. This hotel has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at.

When we first arrived at the hotel the first thing we noticed was the hotel lobby smelled like the bottom of dirty lake. This is probably the result of the fact the hotel is located near a river, and there is a small fish pond in the lobby. In addition we had to leave a 500 RMB cash deposit, no credit cards accepted.

This hotel is a terminus point for an airport shuttle service. The airport shuttle service did not help with bags in anyway shape or form. The attendant gave us some stickers to get our bags from the hold, but I ended up loaded the bags in the hold. Also the bus had no over head storage for large bags, had to hold a carry on suitecase in our lap along with a back pack. In addition we were expected to seat our son on our lap, after a 5 hour plane ride for hour long bus ride from the airport. The attendant on the bus also had zero customer service skills, I think she didn't know what a smile was. Perhaps maybe someone forget to tell these people that customers come first. This is not the hotels fault directly, however this shuttle service operates out of this hotel and this is one of the recommend ways to transfer to this hotel from the airport.

The room was clean visually, I didn't look to hard. The carpet and furniture had cigarette burns in random places. Like most of China it also smelled like cigarette smoke, even though this was supposed to be a non smoking room. Some of the lights in the room were burned out and not working. The wall paper in the room was discoloured and peeling. One of the lamps in the room also had exposed wires. The A/C in the room worked very well, infact too well for some reason it made the room too cold, we never did figure out how to adjust the temp, we just resorted to turning it on and off as needed. The phone in our second room did not work and it was a serious head ache to get it fixed. The phone system used by the hotel is a ancient 10 year old analogue Nortel phone system. I would say the rooms on the hotel are in a serious need of a remodel job.

The lady that made the rooms was very nice too us, we tipped her and asked her not to clean our rooms, we saw her everyday and just gave her the trash bins and asked for some Toilet paper. I would say that she does the best job she can with what she has, but most of the rooms in the hotel are of lost cause. I saw the hotel repair man one too many times fixing a room in the hotel.

The hotel does not have WiFi in the room, you have to ask for a wireless router from the front desk. With the WiFi router we were able to get on with our mobile phones and Ipad.

The hotel has a dim sum restaurant in it that is supposed to be highly rated, but frankly it reeked of smoke and the quality of the food was substandard. The restroom in the lobby was gross and made me wonder how well everything else in the common areas in the hotel were looked after.

There is no Doorman working the door at this hotel, as such obtaining a cab at the hotel requires one to go and stand out on the street and try and flag one down. This is not particular fun in a foreign place where cabby's tend to take advantage foreigners as much as they can. The front of the hotel has a small parking lot, filled with people parking cars that would be more like those of a western country. Generally most hotels I have been to in North America would make the front entrance a drop off area. I believe the cars being parked here were people going to the terrible restaurant. There was someone making sure that the parking fee was being collected. This hotel also had an alternative parking in the back and underground for the restaurant and hotel, probably would have been better to not allow parking in the front and make the front a drop off zone.

This hotel shares the building with China Mobile, the building only has 4 elevators. During the Morning, Lunch, and around 5pm the hotel elevators are crammed with China Mobile employees gaming the elevator system. The basically walk down using the emergency stairs to one of the floors in the hotel to take the elevators for the hotel guests. This building needed about 10 elevators to handle the traffic during the day. At one point we had to wait for 15 minutes and 3 different elevators before being able to take an elevator down. In addition the elevators were stupid and unable to detect that the elevators were full of people and should just unload before coming back up.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Locutus233
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I was staying in Guangzhou for a week on business. I booked one of their business suites which was on the 15th floor. Really, the only criticism of this room was that the plain light-colour carpet was in need of a good clean (various stains, including what looks like a full cup of coffee having been spilt in the middle of the room). Apart from that it was very clean and comfortable, air conditioning was great (sweltering heat outside, quite chilly in the room!), included kettle, fridge with mini bar, clean bathroom with good shower and various toiletries supplied, various sofas, chairs and tables. There was a LAN cable in the room but I didn't have the facility to connect to that. I connected ok to their free wifi service on the first day but could barely get on (or even see the network) the rest of the week. It's about a 15 min walk to the Beijing Lu where all the shops and restaurants are (altho there are others en route). View from the window was looking down on other apartment-type buildings and a motorway network. There's no spa at the hotel but there is one literally about 20 seconds away if that's important to you.

They say rooms are available for check-in from midday, but I arrived at 7.30am and asked if my room was ready which it was which I was very grateful for.

I like to try different hotels each time I go to Guangzhou, but if nothing else takes my fancy I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JonWolves
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Earlier known as Globelink Hotel, this is an excellent choice for business travelers to Guangzhou. Bus route no. 5 from the airport takes you directly to this hotel in about 45 minutes to an hour. Rooms are clean and nice. A govt. rated 4 star hotel with all amenities including restaurants, some shopping, good clean rooms, and free internet in all rooms. Few people speak English but that is not a very big concern. Only 1 Km by walk to the most happening shopping area in Guangzhou - Beijing road. During off seasons, a very good value for money hotel. Have paid around USD 60/night mostly unless visiting during canton fair. Perfect if only for business.

Room Tip: No room with a view in particular.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Kamal_Narang
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was probably a 5 star hotel 10 years ago so it's great value at around $60 a night (8 days) It's clean, good air con, and has free Internet in rooms. Central to city, coach service to HK and airport.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Ian_List
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night whilst visiting relatives in the city.
The service in the hotel is good. The room is very big for what you pay for and very comfortable. Only thing is that the beds were quite hard but it seemed like the hard bed is a common thing for all China hotels so maybe it was the norm.

There is a direct bus service to the airport right in front of the hotel for RMB190, which was very helpful if you are lugging luggages around.

Step out of the hotel on the street to the left of the hotel are plenty of food stalls that sell really good street food. Ask at the reception and you'll probably be given directions.

Only thing about the hotel is that there is only 1 floor of the hotel that is non-smoking. So do remember to ask if you do not like smoking rooms for a non-smoking room.

Other than that, we will definitely be back to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo