“Not Bad”

Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #39 of 3,503 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Service was ok, food was ok. The room was clean and the room is tidy but it's needing improvement. We've stayed for around 5 -6 nights, not all together. We've stayed 2 days, then left for Hong Kong then returned back to Guangzhou for a bit before heading out to Beijing and Shanghai. We only stayed because we had a very big discount. So the value was very good for us and it was worth it. Overall it's not a bad hotel though the staff don't really know what to do half the time especially when it gets busy. Most the restaurants were alright, but the one at the lobby closest to the entrance was awful. The restaurant staff there was rude and inpatient, could not go back there. But location was good, it's next to a few shopping centres and it's close to many places. The renovation was 100% complete during my stay, so it'll probably be better now since I went when it was near completion.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WilsonLin

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had stayed there twice on my business trips. Excellent location as it's only a few minutes walk to the Taojin metro station. Rooms are clean and comfortable. However, services need to be improved a bit. Check-in was always slow and last time it took 15-20 mins... At my last stay, standard rooms were full and we got upgraded to huge rooms on upper levels (rooms are huge only, nothing special, but we appreciated the arrangements). Then I discovered the lock of my room was broken down. Some staff came to try fixing that although it wasn't progressing. They spent almost half an hour and it was almost mid-night. I was surprised none of them (not even the house-keeping staff holding the walkie-talkie) offered to change the room for me and finally I had to call the front desk myself for arrangements. Luckily the new room in middle levels was far much better than the huge room upstairs, which had cheer me up in the middle of the night. Other than these, I would still recommend staying here and will stay again in my next trips.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2012

It's more like 3 star hotel than the 5 star rating would suggest. The service was rude and totally unhelpful. Plus it's expensive for what it is. It's not the worst hotel I've stayed at, but it's the worst claiming to be a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Have been staying in this hotel for past business visits to GuangZhou.

Hotel Room (7/10)
Well furnished and Furbished.

Breakfast (6/10)
Acceptable variety and food quality. Should improve on the quality of the noodles section-Tasteless. Should improve varieties. Nice coffee for breakfast.

Staff (5.5/10)
Most of the Staff are rather polite and professional. However, it takes a few to spolit the overall image of the hotel staff from the Guests. Personally, I had experienced it.

During a recent stay, there was some problems with the room booking and as a result, my room was not booked. I arrived at the hotel at 2:30 am due to late night flight to GZ. I wanted to speak to the Hotel Duty Manager as the front office staff was adamant that there was no rooms for me and colleague except for Suite Room which cost 3000 RMB. Its either take the Suite Room or leave. The hotel Duty Manager was reluctant to appear and to speak to me over the phone. After much persistent and repeated requests, the hotel duty manager finally agreed to speak to me over the phone.
In the end, we were given rooms which was one grade below our requested rooms. But at least, rooms were given instead of insisting us to take the Suite Rooms or Nothing.
Very disappointing in the way the incident was managed... and at the wee hours of 2:30am.

Location (8/10)
good location with a shopping mall annexed to the hotel. The environment is also clean and appears to be safe.

Cleanliness (7/10)
Generally, very clean room, hotel etc.

Sleep Quality (8/10)
very comfortable rest especially well deserved rest is needed after a day work.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Robin-Sngapore
Reviewed December 10, 2011

big rooms,fantastic pillows,big bathroom,very clean and very very cheap for all these.next to the hotel a shopping center with brands,a good traditional Turkish restaurant. i think is really value for money!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank george02
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Comfortable, clean, fresh spacious rooms. Everything worked perfectly well. Free Internet connection everywhere, from the hotel room to the meeting room. Dedicated staff, with good level of English. One of the best hotels I've stayed at in China.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business