“An older 5-star hotel with mediocre location”

China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
Ranked #22 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
San Francisco
“An older 5-star hotel with mediocre location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

I normally stay at hotels on the other side of Yuexiu area in Guangzhou but due to a conference right next door at the Dongfang Hotel, I decided to give this hotel a try and the experience is a mix bag.

Location wise, although it is right in front of the subway station where underground trains can easily take you anywhere in town, hotel is just not conveniently located near anything except an adjacent small shopping arcade where price is ridiculously high. Also, if you are not keen on spending big money eating inside hotel, you will have to walk at least 15 minutes to find some local eateries. I happened to stay in this area once from past visits so I know what to look for but can certainly imagine people having difficulties finding things around if it is their first time here. Luckily (or not), there are convenience stores/shops like Starbucks, 7-Eleven etc. on premise and McDonald is right next to the hotel if you are really in dire need of food or drinks. Having said so, If you prefer a more quiet location with a park nearby and not much business activities going on, then this hotel could be quite ideal.

Hotel facility. Typically speaking, hotels in Yuexiu area of Guangzhou tend to be older premises and there is no exception to this 5-star hotel as well. While the rooms are spacious, comfortable and tastefully decorated, the facility does show a little bit age but overall it does live up to the "Marriott" reputation: large comfortable bed, large work desk with a lounge chair/ottoman, flat screen TV and large walk-in shower/tub yet the price can be extremely high if you don't book early or have any discount. I had a huge discount (thanks to the early bird rate) and still ended up paying 900RMB just for the room, which is considered high in Guangzhou. Internet is additional 15USD daily and if you want breakfast, be prepared to add at least another 20USD per day, very expensive.

Hotel guests should also be aware there are a lot of "working" girls inside and out of the hotel ground, which I found to be quite common at almost all 5-star hotels that cater to foreign travelers in Guangzhou.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at this hotel and would recommend it to business travelers especially if you have conferences or business meetings to attend in this area (Dongfang Hotel next hotel is famously known for hosting large business events). However personally, I will probably choose another hotel in my next trip to Guangzhou.

1 Thank SanFranExplorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

This was my second visit. Still love the location with the Metro just underneath, the fantastic museum around the corner, and the park across the street, convenient shopping next door - BUT when you are dying for some Chinese food - one side of the restaurant is not very welcoming. The lighting is hard, cold, screaming, cheap florescent, while the furniture is beautifully carved wood.

I CAN HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to the Macau house restaurant around the corner from Dong Feng Hotel next door. Their crab curry is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

P.S. VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT for a 5 * hotel, internet = 100 rmb a day??? It should be included in the room charge.

2 Thank SINFULiving
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,761 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

One of the worst 5 star hotels I have been. But nothing can top this hotel. Stayed there for 7 nights and everyday is like waging a war with the hotel. Upon checking in, I am being asked for what I have requested in the room (non smoking, king bed with extra feather pillows), when they have sent me a confirmation letter confirming all the requirements. Why wasting time asking all these things when you fill up the booking form, you have stated everything clearly?? That's not the best part. The level of cleanliness is terrible and I have written a "feedback form". It was returned to me the next day. It was like a slap to my face saying that my opinions are not appreciated. Sent it again, and this time I got a call from the manager. Offered me a breakfast meal for me and my wife and complimentary usage of the executive lounge. But it's already on my 6th night there. Too little too late. No internet connection, and extremely expensive internet rate. Not business friendly. Do be careful with where you walk into in lobby, or the staff will ushered you out as if you are a pest. Very rude staff. For a 5 star hotel, this is really the worst. Room is expensive, and you pay for the service charge that you can't help yourself but wonder, what service have they given you? The side tables are dusty, carpets are dusty. They only vacuumed it thoroughly after received my complaint on the 6th night. What does that make you think? I have doubts if they did change the sheets even if I told them so, base on the quality of cleanliness they show me. Amenities are not up to the 5 star standard. You don't feel the money you paid is worth for what you get. You have to enquire everything yourself, from newspaper location to complimentary bottled water. Before you check in to the hotel, you will feel so well taken care of because they will send you 2 letters confirming all the requirements that you asked for, and you will encounter the reality once you step in to the lobby to do your checking in. I will definitely not stay there again for the upcoming Canton Fair 2010.

9 Thank Danish H
denzelwong123, Front Office Manager at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
On behalf of the hotel management, I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback posted on trip advisor. Please accept my sincerest apology for all the unpleasant experiences and inconveniences you encountered. I was truly mortified and disappointed to learn about the service failures and multiple housekeeping related issues that you encountered during your stay. Rest assured that this is not the norm or the Marriott standards. I have also shared your unpleasant experience with the related department and management team. We are committed to prevent such incident from recurring.

I do hope you received my reply and contact me directly so that I can personally offer my apology and obtain additional feedback. Again, we appreciate your business and thank you for choosing China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel.

Kind Regards
Denzel Wong- Front Office Manager
UK-
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

The hotel is in a pleasant area with the metro station right outside. The metro station is efficient for travelling around and connecting to other lines. The popular tourist areas are within good proximity and the staff were friendly. The hotel provides free shuttle transfer from the hotel to/from GuangZhou EAST station, around 20 mins drive (for trains to Hong Kong) and the hotel is also next to the GuangZhou Train Station (other destinations).

The bedroom and bathroom were modern, clean, relaxing and comfortable. They provide ample pillows, huge bed and the other amenities expected in a 5 star. The restaurants in the hotel (4 Seasons and Food Street) served fresh food for good value. There is a mini-mart and Starbucks in the hotel lobby/ground floor and a 24hr McDonalds next door.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Msfeefee
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

We recently stayed at the China Hotel while we were adopting our daughter. We stayed in a regular room which was quite spacious and the beds were actually double/full sized beds not single/twin sized. As others have mentioned, the showers were amazing. The staff was wonderful and helpful. They actually sent up a Chinese remedy of black vinegar up to our room when a staffer noticed my husband was developing a chest cold. It helped! There were several beautiful parks within walking distance. One park had paddle boat rentals and actual carnival rides. We also found the Guangzhou Orchid Park nearby which was beautiful. There is also a Starbucks on the premises with free wifi access. Do not forget to check out the beautiful garden located on the 4th floor.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

I booked Non-smoking room.
Room smelled something old... something it was not pleasant .
So I asked them to change a room.
New room was OK.
Breakfast quality went down compare with before.
It seems they cut workers(waiter and waitress) and their service was really poor.
I went to get coffee by myself so many times because I didn't have time to wait for 15 min. to just to get a cup of coffee.
Many empty plates were not taken here and there...
I had much better impression before.
This time.. I was little disappointed with their service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank kay0904
denzelwong, Denzel Wong- Front Office Manager at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, February 10, 2010
Dear Ms Kay from Los Angeles,

Thank you so much for choosing China Hotel, A Marriott hotel. We appreciate your valuable feedback in regards to your recent stay with us.

We would like to ensure you that we are taking your feedback very seriously . Rest assured that it is not our standards to reduce the number of associates as we believe this would affect our high level of service negatively. I have also shared your experience with our higher management and as well as with our team members in the restaurant. We have recently conducted additional training for our associates as well as revising our breakfast service procedures in order to uphold highest standards Marriott has to offer for its guests. We are committed to ensure continuous improvement in these areas and our ultimate goal is to prevent such incidents from recurring.

Once again, we appreciate your business and we look forward to welcoming you back to China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel.
Monaco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

Had a very pleasant stay at the Marriott China Hotel, the location is great, situated somewhat within a shopping complex with everything conveniently placed within footsteps (Metro, Western restaurants and cafés, etc…)

The room was unparalleled: over 65sqm. 2 huge flat TV, phenomenal bathroom, comfy bed, tons of complimentary services, Nintendo WII access, business center, Exec. Lounge a true Gem!

The only comment would be the scent used in the lobby: there is an unusually strange fragrance all over the lobby area, I believe its some sort of Chinese air freshener however it was rather nauseating.

Overall: Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LifeStyle-Guru
iamhelen, Director of Rooms at China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou, responded to this review, December 24, 2009
Dear LifeStyle-Guru from phuket,

Thank you very much for your time to post a review. We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us and gave us positive comment. We will review our lobby fragrance and continue to find better way to make our guests' stays more comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you again in Guangzhou!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

Best Regards,