“really good hotel in china”

China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou
Ranked #25 of 3,503 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed April 7, 2013

There are a lot good hotels in Guangzhou but I think China Hotel is among the top 5. The staff is really friendly, helpful and the steak restaurant and japanese restaurant are very delicious. the rooms are big, clean, comfy, well-equipped. If you can stay in the upper floors you will really like it. the small suites are fantastic!
never forget to bring your passport at check-in.
only the location can be better but taxis are cheap.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Frank C

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here on business trip for 4 nights in April and had no complaints, friendly staff, very comfortable bed. Location is good with metro across the road.
Have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank bell10_63
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here January 11-13 with my girlfriend and booked the room via Ctrip. I arrived in the evening and check in was very smooth. As it was kind of late, I also was in a rush to get some contact lens solution before the stores closed and they were excellent and helping me find a shop.

The room was very clean and nice. The lighting was very good and just perfect. The bathroom door however had no lock. At first I thought it was broken but after a call to the front desk, they informed me they removed the lock because guests had trouble operating it. The bathroom itself was nice and had the usual amenities although I found it to be a bit small for a 5 star hotel.

There was free internet, ethernet and Wifi, if you signed up for a free Marriott Rewards account and that was positively surprising.

The first morning when we asked one of the concierge members what was a good recommendation for Wonton noodles, he tried to steer me toward their in house restaurant. That irritated me because I wouldn't have asked him if I wanted to eat in the restaurant. I was further irritated when he claimed he couldn't really think of any other place and said everywhere else was subpar (which was laughable considering this was Guangzhou with a ton of Wonton noodle restaurants). I then asked him to find the address of a chain restaurant I knew about but when I got there, it didn't exist. Luckily there was another Wonton noodle restaurant nearby.

On the second night, we dined at the Prime Steakhouse in the hotel with a friend. The service was very attentive but the staff could use some additional training. I ordered wine asked the waiter for a sweet wine recommendation but the wine they recommended turned out to be very dry. When we ordered the steak they asked us to choose between 1-10 on how we wanted the steak to be cooked. My girlfriend and friend said 7 but the steak was more like rare. They had to get their steak recooked 2 times and even then it wasn't perfect.

The lobby is quite busy most of the day and evening and is only quiet at late night.

The line for the taxi can sometimes be quite long and it is just faster to hail a taxi from the street.

The bathrooms in the lobby could only be accessed with a keycard and I found that to be too restrictive even though I understand it is for safety purposes.

Despite some of these shortcomings, I still found it to be a very pleasant stay and rested quite well and its still a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

One doesn't expect such quality in Guangzhou. This isn't a city for tourists and the city doesn't pander to foreigners. Bur this is a hotel which ranks among the greats and its very difficult to fault it. From the delightful, helpful welcome on arrival to one of the most comfortable rooms you can experience, there was a feeling of calm confidence and the certainty that everything was right with the world. The breakfasts are just superb - a real treat. One gripe? The signage is virtually non-existant and as the hotel is very large, guests found themselves getting lost, even after they'd been there a few days. Now where exactly is the Lobby?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hotel is not the problem. Business centre could be improved - only limited day tours.
Be careful the staff in CTS booking office in Guangzhou do not know anything other than selling tickets, need to brush up on their English and visa regulations.
You will defintely require a re-entry visa to China even if you go to Hong Kong for the day.
No instructions on how to get from Guangzhou to HK you just have to use instinct and change coaches, if you can't speak the language good luck where you end up.
In HK you then have to find a CTS office to buy return ticket (why can't you buy a return ticket???) they are not much help either.
Train from HK to Guangzhou was excellent, not the hassle.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have stayed here on business a few times. Every time, the hotel manages to disappoint on exactly the same two things - the check-in process and the 2nd floor restaurant. Like most Marriott's, the rooms are nicely appointed and the service is great. But like most Marriott's, there is always a line everywhere you are, whether it is the check-in, check-out, restaurant, etc.

Every time I have been here I requested a non-smoking room in advance. Upon check-in, I was assured that my room would be non-smoking. But when I got to my room, it clearly was not. The hall ways smelled of smoke, the ash trays by the elevator were full cigarettes - pretty disgusting. When I got to my room, this too smelled of smoke. There was even an ash tray and ashes on the desk. Seriously, Marriott, how stupid do you think people are? Do you really think that a bit of air freshener eliminates all the evidence? Cigarette smoke penetrates carpets, curtains, mattresses, towels, and so on so nothing short of renovation will eliminates the vile smell. I went back to the front desk and they promptly upgraded me to a much bigger room on a no-smoking floor and this room was faultless. But seriously, couldn't you just have given me that room to begin with? I totally realize now that you had run out of non-smoking rooms but before upgrading me you thought you'd give it a try. You should be ashamed!!!

At lunch, I arrived at the buffet lunch about 30 minutes before it closed. About half of the food stations were empty. In the Indian food corner, all the bowls were empty. I asked two waiters about replenishment but I was totally ignored. I then walked up to the only Western waiter and she said they would cook some new food. Of course, at this point it was 15 minutes before closing so I am not sure if anything was actually done about this. Again, Marriott, you should be ashamed. How can you charge people for a buffet lunch and then not provide the full lunch. If you stop replenishing the food the earlier guests ate, you should then charge a lower price. Very disappointing. Next time, I'll go across the street to McDonald's. At least there I get what I pay for.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Excellent rooms and stylish interiors, spacious and comfortable.

Excellent!!! breakfast with a varied and tasty dishes, Chinese, Japanese and European cuisine, fruits, pastries, fresh juices etc.

A professional concierge service helped with all the matters offered interesting places in the city.

Very good hotel!