“Very comfortable stay”

Vertical City Hotel
Ranked #96 of 3,480 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Spent ten nights here recently.
Really great location due to two lines of the Metro system directly accessed from the basement of the hotel.
Rooms are excellent with great bathroom. Looks as if the original intention was for the room to be more of an apartment. It had cooking facilities, but for some reason the fridge had been removed, so no mini bar.
View from the room ( Floor 42 ) was absolutely stunning, across the city to the Guangzhou Tower.
Restaurant on Floor 49 was OK for breakfast, with a limited western menu, but a very good " egg-man " and actual marmalade for the toast, made it tolerable for our extended stay. Other meals were taken elsewhere so I cannot comment on the lunch or dinner offered.
Reception was fine, with friendly staff with a good use of English.
Indeed the pool seems not to exist.
Complimentary bottles of water, toiletries, slippers and tea making items were provided each day.
Housekeeping generally was very good except that under the bed was never cleaned, so quite a lot of dust remained there.
We never had any problems with the lifts, as four of them could only be activated to the residential floors by swiping with the electronic room key. ( something reception failed to tell us at check in )
During our stay the windows were being cleaned - much needed - and wow what a sight it was watching from outside as an army of window cleaners descended on single ropes from the rooftop !

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better. It appears that it is a " smoking " hotel, so be warned, alt...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank blisterman
There are newer reviews for Vertical City Hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank LionelT_11
Reviewed May 9, 2013

-Love the sky lounge for buffet, cant believe they start at 268+ RMB per person, PRICEY! but you could buy coupons RMB 980 for 10 persons to save
-Clean room with iron and board, hair dryer, comfy king size bed, wifi, small building view
-Staffs are above English standard comparing to other hotels in China
-Not easy to find taxi here and not much restaurants or shops around
-Better than Rosedale hotel located across
-7-11 & 24 hrs KFC + McDonald's are nearby!
-MTR will be easily accessible underneath soon!
-No pool or gym

Room Tip: Book on travel agent walk in is much more expensive
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from this hotel after my trip to the canton fair

Rooms:
Overall over a larger than average room size, very clean and good comfortable bed.

Restaurant:
Large restaurant, evening meal disappointing, but that could have been because we arrived late and only buffet was available so I will hold back my full opinion on that. breakfast was good catered well for western travelers.

Well appointed, good location.

The swimming pool wasn't available or did not exist cant comment on that as I never got to see it as they just said "sorry no can use"

Still worth staying at.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2013

For the price, no other hotel in Guangzhou can beat it in terms of overall quality of the room and proximity to the metro. The bathroom comes with real marble floor and wall. The bed was extremely comfortable. Free wifi on offer in room and public area. Please beware that there is no public toilet in the lobby. So if you want to go to the toilet after check out like I did, you would need to brave the Chinese's metro public toilet nearby. However, what I found worst was the attitude of almost all their staffs. They are not of those in service industry at all. Apart from the fact that nobody seems to speak any English at all, they find it annoying if we ask them any question or ask them to do anything for us. On one occasion, after spending more than 15 minutes to call a cab (the hotel is at the junction and taxis refuse to come into the hotel area), I asked the door man to help me find one. He pointed inside suggesting that I talk to the staffs at the reception. When the receptionist saw that, he shouted in Chinese for the doorman to go do his job. He refused. The bell boy saw us struggling so he went out to help us instead. He tried for 5 minutes and came inside without telling us that he didn't manage to find a cab. We decided to lug our luggages to the metro instead. On more than one occasions, I asked for direction and nobody could help me as nobody speaks any English. The worst, however, was the fact that we booked our room through booking.com and upon checking in I gave the staffs our booking reference print out. Nobody, even the manager, knows what booking.com was!!! So they said they can't honour my booking. I was furious and complain so they said they can give us the same rate as booking.com. I said I can't do that because that would mean that I didn't check in and could be liable for cancellation charge. So after waiting for 1 hour they let me check in. I thought everything was alright until i received an email from booking.com a few days later that they are charging for no show. I stayed at the hotel for only 1 night but I felt I age 5 years through the experience at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jj388
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is right on top of two metro lines (line 2 and 8, if I'm not mistaken), you just go the B2 floor to get to the station. Line 8 is the one to take to the pazhou exhibition center.
They have several restaurants outside of the hotel as well, including 2 (two!!!) pizza huts right across from each other. Rooms are new, didn't have much to complain about the room. Staffs are quite friendly, although don't speak much english. Business center not done yet, but the front desk staff is helpful enough to print my documents (and charged RMB 6 per page). Overall, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CindyLin46
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Vertical City Hotel is a new hotel in Haizu District. We booked a Deluxe Queen room but was upgraded to Deluxe Business room @ 48 floor. Room size is reasonable (narrow but long).It is very bright & comes with the iron and board. Bed & 4 pillows are most comfortable.
Bathroom has a long bath as well as a shower room. Water pressure & temperature is excellant.
Good quality, thick & fresh clean towels are provided.
Super fast lifts to high floors
Breakfast room (skylounge @ 49 Floor) has a great view although the glass panel is in need of cleaning.
Staff all over is quite good and efficient.
The cons: 1. Room - not enough storage space, Only 2 bottles water provided daily. Tea & coffee is charged
2. Bathroom - hardly space to keep private toiletries. There's an obvious foul smell in the bathroom
3. Cigarette smell coming in along the door entry area
4. Breakfast is very good western-style, especially the salads but is quite costly at 108 rmb (walk-in price)

Room Tip: If you love western breakfast, make sure you pre-book online.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple