“The Best Breakfast of any hotel we have ever stayed in.”

Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou
Ranked #2 of 3,430 Hotels in Guangzhou
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The Best Breakfast of any hotel we have ever stayed in.”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Best breakfast of any hotel we have ever stayed in. The choice and quality was amazing.
This Hotel is huge and very cool. Club lounge is good with lovely evening cocktails and a great selection of canapés. Most people enjoyed this so much they didn't need to go out for dinner!
Service was friendly but lacked local knowledge. We received incorrect information twice and literally had to provide proof ourselves that they were incorrect. it was quite frustrating and very time consuming.
Room was spacious and pleasant with lots of mirrors! bed very comfortable. Gorgeous bath. Not very sound proof, we could hear the person in the next room talking on his phone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank calendergirl
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with the Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including the architecture of the building, the big and comfortable rooms, the food quality and our lovely club lounge.

I can assure you that your notes regarding the service was lack of local knowledge and the noise you experienced during your stay are well taken indeed and I would like to thank you for bringing these comments to our attention. Our main goal is always to delight and satisfy our guests. Please be assured that we are currently addressing this matter and we have been taking remedial actions to improve our acoustic insulation in designated areas.

Once again thank you very much for your recommendation. I truly hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Clemens Hoerth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Geelong
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is modern Asia in fine detail and 5 star luxury. A modest, almost understated entry/reception belies your experience when you stay your journey to your room. I was greeted by Chris (the front desk manager) whom escorted me to my room and guided me through the stylish suite. Beautifully decorated and appointed room with fine appointments.
I experienced the yum cha lunch at Jiang which I defy anyone to taste a better batch of dishes.
The spa experience also had to be experienced with a swim, spa and many other offers. Although the massages etc are typically expensive.
I would suggest paying for breakfast as part of your package as it's pretty good (although expensive if you had to pay separately). I would also recommend the executive lounge if you can as the staff are brilliant and the food, drink etc is worth it.
I commuted to the Pazhou fair easily via the underground right next door where there is a pretty glam shopping centre.
Try to get the hotel directions in Chinese because no taxi driver knows any hotels in GZ due to language.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank divdogs
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a review regarding your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am delighted to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that the architecture of the building, the well-equipped and beautiful rooms, the food quality, the spa as well as the level of service exceeded your expectations.

In addition, your comment regarding the hotel directions in Chinese is well taken indeed. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. You may wish to know the taxi card is ready at our Concierge. Our hotel address and contact information as well as a simple map are indicated on the taxi cards.

Male
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. First impression at the reception area wasn't great as it could possibly get quite crowded when the hotel runs busy at certain periods, but it was soon forgotten when I walked in to the room. It was beautiful, and the placement of everything was perfect. I have stayed in Many luxury hotels in Guangzhou and this is probably the best so far. The big shopping center which can be accessed through the hotel is definitely a great advantage of this hotel over many other hotels in the city. I'd like to try the W at least once as I am a big fan of their hotels, but it will be tough to beat this MO.

I tried to explain to the receptionist why the down light over the round desk wouldn't turn off by the master off, and she tried to explain that it was designed that way which I found it hard to believe. I didn't mind to get up from bed and switch it off every night, but if it also went off with the master switch turned off, then it would make more sense and would be more convenient. Anyway, I still give top spot for hotels in Guangzhou. That little inconvenience was insignificant to give my review any less points for this hotel. True MO standard!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Allo K
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to Guangzhou and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including the well-equipped and beautiful rooms as well as the convenient location of our hotel. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

In addition, I can assure you that your notes regarding the inconvenience of lighting control is well taken indeed and I would like to thank you for bringing this comment to our attention. Our main goal is always to delight and satisfy our guest.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Taishan, China
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Here's why I loved this hotel:

Everything.

Here's what I had a problem with:

I couldn't figure out the iPad connector to play my own music in the room.

Sounds silly, right? That was my biggest problem, though.

Service to and from the airport was prompt. The room was beautiful and well-designed. The service from the staff was excellent and made me feel like I was very important to them. The food was very good, and even better, the lounge. We tried a few different cocktails and I was actually shocked by how good they were. If you enjoy a tasty drink, treat yourself to their custom mojitos.

If I had to nitpick, the view isn't great because, well, Guangzhou is a major city with a lot of big building, but that can't be helped. The location is town is still very good, though. Things were pricy for China, but so it goes when you want the best. The intersection where the hotel is is crazy busy, but that's not the hotel's fault.

Also, the staff informed me on multiple occasions that they're renowned for the spa. Having gone through an hour treatment, I can see why. Excellent masseuses, a beautiful and serene environment, and just a great time. My wife has been thanking me for weeks since we went.

The reviews for this hotel are good. There's a reason for that. Listen to all of these people.

Room Tip: When the bellboy offers to teach you about the features of the room, say yes.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffkatz
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

I am thrilled to read that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including the design of the hotel, the well-equipped and beautiful rooms, the quality of the food and our legendary service as well as the delightful moments in our lounge. We are sincerely honored to receive such a fantastic comment, and you can rest assured we will do our very best to deserve such high praises.

In addition, your comment regarding the Ipad connector is well taken indeed. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and rest assured that your feedback is shared with our colleagues, as we are always aiming to deliver the perfect hotel experience to our guest.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Beijing, China
Reviewed May 23, 2014

The hotel is brand new, next to a huge shopping centre in case you're bored. There's a large outdoor pool and a separate Spa annex and state of the art gym. I only tried the breakfast buffet which was included in my room rate and that was excellent. Wifi coverage throughout the hotel.was good. TV channels.were abundant. Nespresso machines are in rooms. NB the sheer curtains go down, and not up! Rooms are very big with bathing and shower areas separate from the handbasins and WC. Beds are.comfortable but hard.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the location of the hotel, the room equipment as well as our Spa and gym totally satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward - rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the team.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed May 21, 2014

One big thing that you should consider about China hotels is the staff's fluency with English. China is now what i call "post-American". They are doing great business with themselves and the rest of Asia and so English is actually less emphasized now than it was 12 years ago on my first trip to China.

Mandarin Oriental sees itself more as an international hotel and of the 7 hotels on this trip scored the highest in staff mastery of English. Not to say you still won't struggle ordering coffee at 4:30am.

Additionally, the Chinese do not love air conditioning as much as I do (having been raised in Texas). This hotel had the best air conditioning. i could cool my room under 71 degrees (what seemed to be the minimum at most of the other hotels).

Mandarin has a 'Western' restaurant, too. Very, very nice.

Room Tip: On Yahoo maps, Guangzhou (pronounced "gwon jo") is a 90 minute drive to HKG but the staff...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TripReviews101
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your generous comment on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for such a positive feedback. Please rest assured we will share your words with our entire team.

We would love to welcome you back soon to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou.

Phuket Town, Thailand
Reviewed May 8, 2014

When i chose and pay a 5 star hotel I expect the best of everything. My stay in MO was not perfect.
Very small lobby with no place to sit. Rooms are nicely designed but not perfect. Difficult light switches, uncomfortable sofa to watch TV, very high WC and no magnifying mirror with light.

Upon arrival i asked for the room internet password thinking always it was included in the room rate but to my surprise the front office lady said it was not included. When i complained that a real 5 star luxury hotel should have internet included in the rate, the poor answer from the lady was that my booking was not done thru the hotel web but thru CTRIP and the online agencies rate dont include internet. Poor decision from the management not to include rate and trying to make a ridiculous profit with the internet extra charges upsetting from the outset their customers. I complained to the lady but she refused to grant me my expected free internet.

Second surprise was that i wanted to eat something at 2.30 pm and they told me all the restaurants were closed and i could only order room service and eat in my room. First time i see that a luxury hotel does not have any open restaurant day time.

In the evening i was expected the usual special touch of a luxury hotel for the turn down service but to my another surprise the turn down service came without anything at all, no chocolate, no gift, no card, no nothing. Thats not a 5 star service!!

I was booking a dinner with the concierge when i asked him how much was the exchange rate of the day to the USD. Very easily he told me to go to the next counter - just one meter away -and to ask the front office staff about the rate. I asked him to go himself , found out and to come with the answer. Thats not the way to reply in a top service hotel.

When i wanted to change USD in front office they told me the maximum i could change was 500 USD per person per day. When I asked to change 1000 USD , 500 for my wife and 500 for me, they said it was 500 USD per room per day. When i asked why that policy they replied Management instructions. So i asked to change 500 USD only and to keep the other 500 USD as deposit to my bill. The new answer was they cannot keep deposit in foreign currency following again Management instructions. Other top hotel brands dont have such rules, sorry.

We requested the hotel limo, good Mercedes car, but the driver was playing the radio and listening
to his favorite channel instead of offering a selection of music or at least to play the hotel choice of relaxed music. Not nice.

Kudos to Angie, the Guest Relation Manager!

Good but not perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adi C
MO_GUANGZHOU, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with the Trip Advisor community.

I regret to hear that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I would like to thank you for bringing your experience to our attention and would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience in detail at your earliest convenience. Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on 86 20 3808 8888 or via email at clemensh@mohg.com.

Despite your experiences, we do hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou in the future.

Yours sincerely,