“Great!”

Ranked #71 of 7,249 Restaurants in Guangzhou
Cuisines: Irish, Steakhouse, International, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As the biggest western bar & restaurant in Guangzhou, McCawley's should be high on a things to do list when in town, at almost 1,000 square meters and is conveniently located on Hua Li Lu. Spread out over two floors, on arrival the first thing everyone will notice is the amazing facade that stretches over 30 meters wide. Fitted in hard wood and stained antique the facade is finished with old lanterns and brass goose-necks. Giant brass letters spelling out McCawley's confirms you have arrived at the right place. Food is extremely important to our operation and we have dedicated 200sq meters of our premises to the Kitchen Area - our menus will be a mix of Traditional Pub Food & Gastro Pub Food with a selection of Tex-Mex & Thai favorites included. The award winning Butcher's Block Steakhouse is located on the 1st floor. Prime imported steaks are cooked in the Josper charcoal oven, makes it definite place to visit.
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

It's a life saver. We love sushi and chinese but you get really tired of it if you have to eat it everyday for every meal. Mc Cawleys was great, the service, the place, and the food. The hamburgers were very very good.

It's tricky to get there but worth the try.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The bar service here has almost zero understanding of English. I reviewed the Peninsula McCawleys and found their service was greatly improved, engaging, etc., but then they wouldn't let me bring my 4 pound Shih-tzu inside and so I cannot ever venture into there again. Its a lack of common sense to think a repeat customer who holds a little dog in his lap can't bring it inside when there is noone in there during the day? Especially in China where everyone knows this is a stinking stink hole, for lack of a better word. Oh well. They have their rules.

This place has the smallest little bar area, I think there are only 4 seats and so the place is very cramped compared to the Peninsula. There had been managers in the past throughout the place who would greet the customers, but not today and yesterday, noone in sight. I had to ask four times for my order and then resorted to pointing, making sign language. Despite that, the bartender showed us his big smile and in the end won me over as did the little gals tending the tables, amazing what a smile on their faces can do...it makes everything better.

The atmosphere is what I come for. I met another American from Seattle and we sat there drinking wine and had a great old time. The location is killer. This is the first bar I went into when arriving here almost 3 years ago. It still has a place in my heart. The food is pretty good. Lots of choices, its hard for me to like the Australian beef even though I know it is probably the best quality you can get in this area. The hamburgers are big and the fries are hot and plentiful. The green curry is consistently good, the ribs are hit/miss. I suppose that if you want to sit outside, this is the place for you..plenty of room.

Part of me feels guilty saying anything bad about this place because I am so thankful to have a good authentic Irish pub here in Shenzhen. I think the managers, when given opportunity, make this place great but I haven't seen them for a while. They must be at the new place in Futian?

Reviewed October 8, 2013

First, it was pretty confusing getting there. I was on Huacheng road (Lu) and not on Huacheng Avenue (Dadao), pretty common mistake when in China, I suppose. So, once on Huacheng Avenue search for building no 16, it has a huge restaurant (Mao's Bay or something) and VLife (organic and bio restaurant and products). Right next to VLife is a side street, take that one and you arrive at Mc Cawleys which is situated in the back of the building. It looks pretty big from outside, didn't get to see much since i was seated on the terrace. And they have free wifi!

Ok, so about the place. First, the service: I don't know why so many people complained about it, I got seated, had my order taken and my food and drinks on the table in less than 15 min. Plus, no mistakes in the order. Second, the food: it was great, simple, but one who has been many times in China knows that even the the most simple dished can go wrong due to a Chinese chef :). So, the fajitas (trio of beef, chicken and shrimps) were excellent and came withwarm tortillas, guacamole, sour cream and salsa, the potato skins with cheese and bacon were crispy and came with salsa and sour cream and the lime frozen margarita perfect.
The price? 177 rmb for the fajitas, potato skins and margarita. there must have been some special prices that i didn't pay attention to, maybe half price margarita, because the bill was lower than i expected. Ok, it;s not cheap, but since everything was so good, i think the price was more than fair.
Would i come back? Of course, especially because the food in the menu sounded delicious, if everything else is as good as what i've ordered i think i may have just found my favorite place in Guangzhou

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have been in Guangzhou for 5 months and eat regularly at McCawleys due to there High Standard of food. There variety on the menu has something to please everyone and is so extensive that i can eat there a few times a week and never tire of it.

There burgers, Taco Salad and BEEF Fajitas are my personal favourites and make me forget that I am eating in China. They have daily specials Monday to Friday (Thursdays are half price Fajitas). Relaxed friiendly atmosphere and my go to venue for any major sports event.

Pricing is resonable, portians are fantastic and the food quality is AMAZING !!!!!!

Highly recommended for everyone, especially anyone who appreciates food.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I ended up at McCawley's this last Thursday. It was our first time here. The bar area is quite attractive with dark woods and tall ceilings. The regular seating areas were less attractive, plastic "rattan" chairs and glass topped tables. Not ugly, but not "Old Town Bar" by any means. There is a pool table on the first floor. I didn't make it up to the second floor, but it looked like it might be pretty nice up there.

We arrived and were greeted and seated. However, after about five minutes no one came over to even give us menus. We decided to sit at the bar, which was empty. The bartender did not seem to want us to sit there and ignored us. But this being China, we just hailed him over. I was glad to see Kilkenny on tap. We both ordered a glass. We finally received it about 5 minutes later. It was possibly the worst tasting beer I ever had, just terribly sour and had that bitter unclean tap lines taste. We both had to return it. The second glass was nearly as bad, and I left it at the bar undrunk. At this point a table near the window opened up and we moved there.

We had to wave down a server at the new table to get menus and then wave down a server later to order food and drinks. That's fine. I'm used to it by now in China. I have no problem loudly asking for service from a lazy provincial. Sadly, its what they expect. But I can imagine many Westerners would be upset by the indifferent service. The management should really look into some training on Western service standards.

The daily special on Thursday is half price fajitas. They were very popular, sizzling plates of meat coming out of the kitchen every few minutes. We were extremely hungry, so we ordered the mixed appetizer plate (Party Platter) and an order of chicken, beef, and "prawn" (shrimp) fajitas. The mixed appetizer plate had hot wings, mini chimichangas, black bean hummus with pita bread triangles, and fried spring rolls. Everything but the spring rolls we pretty good actually. The chicken fajita meat was pretty good as well. The beef and shrimp less so, but not bad. Fajitas come with real sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and warm tortillas. I was in heaven, not having any decent tex-mex or bar food for almost a year. I saw that dos equis was a happy hour special. However, 5 minutes after ordering I was told they were out. Ok, so I ordered a Victoria Bitter. Again, I was told that they were out. Well, I wasn't going to order any draft beer after discovering the unclean tap lines. So I finally ordered a Corona (at RBB35 a bottle) which they thankfully had.

I know that this is a mixed review, but my wife and I had a pretty good time overall. Eight drinks and the two dishes we ordered came out to RMB551 (and no service charge; guess you get what you pay for). Not that bad really, for Guangzhou at least. Would have been cheaper if we would have stuck to happy hour specials and the half-priced fajitas. I will come back again, but this time I will know to stick to bottled beer and not expect good service.