WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Though far, excellent rooms and service, love the buffet breakfast!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Pazhou

The Westin Pazhou
Ranked #5 of 3,315 Hotels in Guangzhou
Singapore, Singapore
“Though far, excellent rooms and service, love the buffet breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed during my business trip here and I was diligently attended by the counter staff. After a long tiring day and only manage to reach the hotel at 11pm it was such a pleasure to be able to get your room keys and upon opening my hotel door I was amazed by the spacious, lush and modern interior deco. I was in one of the premium rooms located at the 30th floor. I was lucky to get the room facing the river, the view was amazing.

This room is made for executives on the go, although tired from the day's events and needing to finish an incomplete project on my lappy, something about this place just oozes energy that I manage to push on. When I finally manage to crawl to bed 3 hrs later, the bed did not disappoint, it was very comfortable or maybe I was just too tired that I passed out soon after.

Morning buffet breakfast was a threat, many choices to choose from but I was just happy to indulge myself with simple pastries and cereals. I think my mind was in a "work" mode, the next thing I knew my local associate had arrived and I scoot off with him together as my work day begins.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear MEsposo,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou and share your experience with us. We know how important it is for a dedicated businessman like you to be well rested, well nourished and well cared for. Spacious room, amazing river view and fresh breakfast are all designed for a better you. It is great to know you’ve enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you’re in Guangzhou.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed during CNY. The location of the hotel is a little bit far from busy area such as Tian He. There is nothing going on in the area apart from canton fair period. Make sure you have got everything you need before going back to the hotel. It's very dark and quiet in the night there. however, the air is cleaner since the hotel is away from the busy area. I wish I had brought my running shoes so that I could go for a run in the morning.

Staff in the hotel are very friendly and helpful. Their English is much better than Cantonese though. The room is clean as the hotel is still relatively new and it is specious. Buffet breakfast was a bit disappointed especially the coffee. The gym is dark and small. the ceiling is low in the swimming pool.

Overall, it was a good stay despite the location. There is a metro station just 5 mins away from the hotel which isn't too bad travelling during the day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Taiyaki,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou and sharing your reviews. The Westin Pazhou locates at the renowned Canton Fair Complex, the biggest exhibition center in Asia, and embraces both Pearl River and city skyline. During non-exhibition period, it is tranquil and perfect for renewal. Your suggestion regarding buffet coffee has been communicated with Food & Beverage department. Hopefully you will feel the improvement during your next stay. Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last year for the same expo and the obvious reason is its proximity to the trade exhibition halls otherwise its location is not desirable. Walked and girl behind the desk remembered my name otherwise their limo driver forewarned them of my arrival. Either way, a nice feeling. Overall, staff were brilliant, couldn't be more helpful. English is always a problem still in China, especially the poor girl in the business centre who arranged my interpreter for the duration of the show, hard work. Ate several times in the chineses restaurant (when in Rome, well China...) and found the food faultless. I took my interpreter and made her order local food and was delighted in the quality and variety. Internet is very slow and painful and deserves immediate overhaul as this is a business hotel. Main gripe was they turn the aircon offf at about 2am and the room becomes quite stuffy. The executive club room was brilliant, so good in fact that I only ate in their restaurants for lunch. The club room dim sums were brilliant and made for good networking as well. Overall, this is a great hotel, great spacious rooms and staff that really try hard. I travel a lot and stay in nice hotels but I'm surprised at some of the negative comments on other reviews. For me, in China, this is a very good 5 star.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Vern0n,
Thank you for staying with The Westin Pazhou and taking time to review our hotel. It is such an honor to know you’ve enjoyed your stay. In fact, your nice compliments towards our staff will be a great encouragement and inspire us to constantly deliver personal and instinctive service, bringing renewal to our valuable guests. At the same time, we would investigate the air-con issue you mentioned. Sincerely looking forward to your next stay with us!
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Issues at check in as my credit card didn't have a PIN number so their system couldn't process it. Staff seemed to not understand that some credit cards don't have PIN numbers.
Great location if your going to a trade fair and excellent rooms.
Standard of food was exceptionally poor and we tried their Japanese restaurant, room service and lobby restaurant - due to location you are stuck dining in unless you have time to get to the city by cab, but the wait for a taxi was over 30 mins in the evening.
They charge for the Internet which is not stated when you log in to the wi -fi, however when you try to connect a second device if will let you know that you will need to pay for that, this is really poor when its a 5 star business hotel.

I would stay at the westin in Guangzhou next time instead of this one.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kristy T,
Thanks for staying with us and taking time to share your experience. We are sorry to learn that you encountered problems with check-in and internet access during you stay. Your kind feedback and suggestions will be crucially important for us to constantly improve our service. Relevant staff trainings will be arranged and hotel management team is taking a deep look into the restaurant and internet issues. Hopefully, you could be impressed by our improvements during your next stay! Thank you!
JAKARTA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had a business trip to Guangzhou to attend a trade exhibition and choose the Westin Pazhou for it's location and competitive room rates. The hotel is one of the so called exhibiton hotel and is connected to Area C of the massive Canton Exhibition Centre.

Arriving

I book a hotel car to pick me up from airport to the hotel. The journey takes about 45 mins. Upon arrival, there is no escort to room and I checked in at the front desk. Check in took longer than usual.

The room

My room is a Executive Club room. The room is quite spacious at about 45 m2 and has a open concept bathroom. There is a LCD tv but no dvd player. The workdesk has a plug and play panel but is littered with manuals and the hotel's promotional leaflets. The bed is the Westin Heavenly Bed which is just ok for me as I have experienced much better bedding elsewhere. The lighting is adequate and the aircon works and the room is also quiet, great for business travelers. Unfortunately, the internet access is very slow.

The hotel is very new, but it is evident that there are a lot of corner cutting and use of inferior materials and bad workmanship. For example, the hangers just broke apart when I hang up my heavy coat and the power panel literally creeks and threaten to give way when I try to remove my laptop charger.

The common areas

The restaurant has three restaurants, a coffee house serving buffet, a Japanese restaurant and a Chinese restaurant, all very expensive. I only tried the buffet and selection and food quality is lacking. The breakfast, as typically Westin, is very good, with freshly baked pastries, selection of local breakfast items such as hot porridge and noddles and others. Tips : for a great breakfast, wake up early where everything is fresh.

As I booked a club room, I have access to the Executive Lounge which serves breakfast and happy hour cocktail as well as all day free flow of beverages, ideal for business travelers wanting to conduct business meetings in the hotel.

Service is just ok, typically of a budget rate business hotel. Although the Westin is rated 5 star, one should perhaps tone down the expectation. Typical of most hotels in China, staff usually does not do more than required. In a few cases, service is slow and needs chasing.

Conclusion

This is a cookie-cutter business hotels, typical of many hotels you find in China. It's strength is its location and proximity to the exhibition centre so one can save about an hour a day of traveling. However, with Guangzhou's public transport modernizing rapidly, it is not much of an advantage either. The hotel does gets most of the basic right for business travelers, like a comfortable bed, spacious workdesk. The only major complaint is the internet which while free for all guests is very inconsistent.

Overall, the hotel is just ok and does not impress me in any way. It is worth a try if the main purpose of your trip is to attend the exhibiton and you can get a good rate. Otherwise, there is not much to recommend. 3 star our of 5.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BENLEE123
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear BENLEE123,

Thank you for taking time to share your detailed stay experience with us, especially the sincere suggestions. We are glad to know that our direct access to Canton Fair Complex has provided you convenience during your business trip. And we are also thrilled to learn your expectations as a frequent traveler, so that we could improve our service constantly. Like all Westin hotels, The Westin Pazhou dedicates to provide personal and instinctive service and bring renewal to every guest. Hopefully, you could be impressed by our improvements during your next stay!
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Pros: this hotel achieves to have all the Westin amenities, standards and things that make me choose a Westin: 24 hrs. gym, excellent toiletries, flavored water in the lobby, affordable luxury, and a decent service. The free breakfast is good enough for a short stay (easily to get tired). If you are visiting any Expo nearby this place rocks.

Cons: I'm a bit disappointed with some aspects of the service, during check out they wanted to charge me thus if mini-bar that didn't take, also at evening the cleaning staff is loudy outside the rooms. The wifi is terrible, no matter if its free but should work properly. Please be aware that you will be next to the Expos but far far away from Guangzhou.

In sum, I'll stay again here, they only need to fix minor issues.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Selina C, Manager at The Westin Pazhou, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear draghignazzo,
Thank you very much for taking time to review The Westin Pazhou. As you mentioned, The Westin Pazhou enjoys direct access to Canton Fair Complex and it will be a perfect choice for guests coming for expos. At the same time, your suggestions are highly appreciated. We would love to learn guests’ expectation in order to improve our service constantly. We sincerely look forward to your next stay and making it a complete renewal. ¡Gracias!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for one weekend and found it is fabulous. the rooms are nice and clean. staffs are friendly and knowledgable. the major lobby looks grand. however just that the bathroom is not as big as I thought. overall a good stay

• Stayed October 2012