“Where are the Cantonese speaking staff?”

Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe
Ranked #18 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Rockville, Maryland
“Where are the Cantonese speaking staff?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited this hotel again during the Mid autumn moon festival from September 19-21. I could tell that the hotel updated some of its designs such as in the lobby and it was a pleasant surprise to me as it shows the hotel cares in maintaining its look even though it was constructed not too long ago. The amenities in the bathroom have been downgraded. Although I didn't care much for it, the downgrade was significant to my girlfriend.

The main reason why I'm taking a star off is the lack of Cantonese speaking staff at the front desk. Last time I was here 9 months ago most of the staff at the front desk were able to speak and understand Cantonese. This time, almost all of front desk staff I encountered could not speak Cantonese. I was still able to communicate with them because I can speak Mandarin. I don't begrudge the fact that the staff were not from Guangdong and thus not able to speak Cantonese. I begrudge the fact that management didn't do more to train the staff to learn Cantonese. When I am in Guangzhou, I expect to be able to use Cantonese in a 5 star hotel especially one like the Hilton.

Besides that, I still had a very nice stay at the hotel. The service was prompt and friendly. At check in, the staff brought us free tea and wet towels which was a relief. The concierge was also able to recommend new restaurants, from cheap to expensive, both types which I tried and found to be truly delicious, which I really appreciate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohnS8888
Hilton Guangzho... T, General Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that had a disappointing experience about lack of Cantonese speaking staff, I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional Guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe General Manager Grace Lau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights & were upgraded to the panoramic suite. It was really good everything was well maintained. The food was really served in a unique way. Overall it was a pleasant stay for us, especially when traveling with a toddler. The staff was very friendly & helpful. One of the best hotels I've stayed so far.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had the privilege to stay with Hilton Tian'he in Guangzhou for a few nights back in June. I had a great time there as I was staying on the executive floor. The welcome gift of macron and fruits were nice touch in the room upon checking in. The staffs in the executive lounge were very friendly and helpful. They became very close before my departure. I have always believed that the top notch service is the people are willing to walk extra miles. When I had a sore throat at breakfast, the lounge manager would personally make me a cup of honey lemon tea for soothing my throat really moved me. Thank you for the great service. I would definitely come back again. Hands down for this hotel and I recommend it for whoever on the business trip or vacation in Guangzhou.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hilton Guangzho... T, General Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let our Executive Lounge Team know that they helped you have a great stay with us. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This Hilton is one of the nicer Hiltons with high lobby ceilings, nicely furnished rooms and plenty of elevators that won't have you waiting. It is conveniently located about a 5 minute walk from the Metro station and one of the main bus terminals. It is away from the city center since it is in a newly developed part of the city, but it is a 20 minute train ride to most attractions. Taxi's are readily available and cheap in Guangzhou. The people at the front desk are very receptive and speak fair English. The rooms are nice and clean, although a little dark. We stayed in a regular room and in an executive room. The executive room was nicer but both rooms were very nice. We also ate breakfast every morning at the 2nd floor buffet restaurant and there is a good variety of hot and cold foods, both Chinese and Western food. There are stations where they prepare freshly cooked noodles as well as eggs. This Hilton is reasonably priced and is in a reasonably good location. This is our 12th night here and we would come back here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tourhound
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality.The problems you mentioned have been addressed. Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights on business and would recommend this hotel for anyone who needs an oasis away from the dirt and humidity of Guangzhou. The rooms were clean and spacious and looked like your typical four or five star room in a global hotel in China. The staff was super friendly and very responsive to any request. The own thing that surprised me was that the level of English spoken by anyone not at the front desk was quite rudimentary. I would have expected it to be at the same level as in other tier 1 cities like Shanghai or Beijing. But this was not a big deal for me. The breakfast served was excellent.

The entire atmosphere in the hotel exuded luxury and comfort. The lobby lounge where I had several coffees was very grand with tall ceilings. The rooms themselves were nicely appointed. The only issue th the rooms is that they had insufficient lighting. Even when all the lights were on, it felt like the lighting in a romantic restaurant, dark and subdued. The switches were very confusing -- both sides of the bed contained different controls. So there was.a lot of trial and error. And is normal with American hotels, some switches can only be locally controlled as in having to walk to the lamp and physically switch it on, as if it were still an oil lamp. The reading lamp in the corner of the room could only be switched on by moving the couch and stepping behind it.

Finally, while this was not the fault of the hotel, it seems that Hilton deleted my HIlton membership number. The front desk was very good about it and immediately issued a different card with a new number. But on earth happened to all my points. Not cool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hilton Guangzho... T, General Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

Hillerød, Frederiksborg, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've now been staying at the Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe for 10 nights with 8 more to go, and so far the stay has been excellent. Room is large, nice and clean, service is excellent and friendly - in particular in the executive lounge, where the staff quickly remembered my habits and looked after me very, very well.
I spend many night on hotels around the world every year and wish that the other hotels would provide a service like this hotel has done so far.
Regards
Kurt Vedel Kristensen

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Location good, Check in is fast, room service is very efficient and food is excellent. can try the opposite restaurant, prices is reasonable and food is quite tasty, if you like guangdong cusine.
The reception staff was polite and the room was new, I love the central bath tub and the hot water is just so cool especially when we are coming back from a long day shopping.
Will going back on Sept 2013.

Room Tip: Higer floors, corner executive room