“Very Nice Hotel Convenient to the Train Station”

Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe
Ranked #19 of 3,559 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the East Train Station. We did not know that we could call for a shuttle to pick us up. The hotel does not have a booth in the shuttle area of the station as do some other hotels such as the Marriott. Since we were staying just one night, our luggage was light. We decided to walk and found that tt was just a 10-minute walk from the station. We would have waited at least thirty minutes for a taxi as the queue was quite long. For those walking, a more accurate map would be helpful. We had to call the hotel for clearer directions.

We arrived in early afternoon, and our room was already available. Check-in went smoothly. It helped that one of us spoke Cantonese. We did have to request a second room keycard. It was not offered. They did offer to enroll us in the HHonors Program. The Front Desk staff were courteous and professional.

This hotel seems to cater to business men and women, but the room was well appointed for a casual stay. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom facilities were top notch. Our only complaint about the room was the temperature. We could not get it cool enough. This seems an odd problem in winter. The room stayed between 24 - 26C no matter how low we set the thermostat. A call to the Front Desk brought a technician to look at it. She showed us how to properly set the temperature. It never budged. The room felt especially warm after coming out of a hot shower.

We stayed on Christmas Day, and the hotel was moderately quiet. The property was nicely decorated for the holiday. We treated ourselves to the Christmas buffet dinner. It was excellent. There was the traditional western Christmas fare including turkey and prime rib, cranberry sauce, potatoes. The buffet also included and impressive array of Chinese food and sea food and a very good dessert bar. Different areas of the buffet included a hotpot station,a salad bar, a noodle station, a grill station and a crepe staion(at the dessert bar).

Aside from the East Train Station and its subway stop, there is not much else nearby for visitors. There is an IKEA within a five-minute walk, but this was not a shopping trip. The Concierge Desk staff were very helpful suggesting places to visit. They marked up a city map for us so we knew exaclty where we were going. Their suggestions were helpful. We enjoyed the sites they recommended.

Since this seems to be a business hotel, there were none of the high-end shops that you often see in other hotels. We checked out the spa and health club. The facilities looked good, but the spa seemed a bit pricey.

I give this four stars. My rating takes in that the room was too uncomfortably warm, and the hotel did not have quite the same feeling as true five-star hotels. If visiting Guangzhou again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rudolfo K
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe.

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and trust you are satisfied with our service.We are pleased that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel except room temperature. Actually, it is the winter of China so hotel convert air conditioning from cooling to heating in order to maintain decent warm indoor. In this case, we would suggest you ask for a cooler fans from magic center to cool down and stop air conditioning work.

You can find a shopping center nearby hotel with a comprehensive supermarket and food outlets. Moreover, it is also convenient to stay in our hotel for business since Guangzhou Easy Railway Station and various office buildings are within walk distance.

All Team Members at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe is a strange hotel. Firstly, it is actually not easy to find if one goes by the "cartoon" map on the Hilton website (as of 3 Jan 2013) - but I suspect this equally applies to many other Hiltons. Print out your google map (or equivalent) before setting off.

Once we had found it, it turned out to be architecturally stunning and spectacularly lit at night. It had a welcoming enough lobby, and... this is where the problem started.

The staff checking us in was hopelessly inept and he simply should not have been given employment in the hospitality industry, not to mention in a Hilton. He got the booking details wrong, "threatened" to charge us more for a double (which we had originally booked at a fixed promotional price), did not understand the most basic, slowly spoken "hotel" English, and rounded things off by giving us only one room card, instead of two.

However, I am surprised I still remember this unpleasant first impression, because the room certainly had the potential to wipe it clean and swing it very much in favour of the hotel.

We were lucky enough to have been given a "corner" room, a superior double, which had spectacular views over Guangzhou in two directions. The decor was modern, tasteful and made us feel at home. I could go on and say more about the room but the bottom line is that it was essentially close to perfect. My only tiny criticisms were: the TV signal could have been stronger and Hilton could refrain themselves from playing music in the halls in the mornings - it can be heard in the rooms and it will wake you up if you are a (very) light sleeper.

There is, obviously, a business centre in the hotel, and unsurprisingly, it is expensive to use: 1 yuan per minute for using the internet, and 1 yuan per 1 page of printing. However, to our surprise, there was no one attending to it, and we managed to check in online and print a boarding pass, free of charge.

Other staff were more pleasant to interact with, and more professional, than the person that had checked us in.

I'd be (very) happy to go back, especially on a promotional rate, and I would hopefully know who to avoid at check-in - although I wish I didn't have to have these sort of dilemmas in a Hilton.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Honored Guest,

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe and Happy New Year.

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and thank you for your time to offer us valuable suggestions on our service and facilities.

Regarding to hotel mapping and location issue, now we add one sentence Chinese description for hotel address on our e-mail confirmation letter for our guest show this address to taxi drivers.We are quite sorry that our front desk team member failed to offer you a "Hilton Style" welcome with professional smile and high quality service. We will take action to strengthen team member training in order to provide our guests with 5 star service.

Our Internet connection is not free of charge, actually our internet fee is RMB30 per day which is the most economic option among brand 5 star hotels in Tianhe district.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our family had a pleasant stay at this hotel. Here is our experience:

Arrival: The hotel is about half a mile from the exit of Guangzhou East Train Station but there is a shuttle bus meeting us (we phoned ahead) right outside the station exit after customs control when we left the Express Train from Hong Kong. A few minutes later we arrived at the hotel and were taken to 24/F Executive Floor check-in area. Although we arrived much earlier than the usual check-in time, we were not asked to wait until 2pm. Instead we were given a room straight away. A very sensible arrangement which made us very happy.

Room: Modern, clean and nice. The washroom door seems a little bit heavy and the hugh room (52 sq. m.) could do with an extra piece of furniture to fill up the empty space. The south facing view is good: hugh sports grounds in front and nice city buildings beyond. Lots of sunshine because of floor to ceiling window. The mugs/cups in the room were too large for the espresso coffee machine - the machine is irrelevant because we could get free coffee from the Executive Lounge.

Facilities: We did not use any sports or spa facilities. However, the outdoor infinity pool looks quite pleasant. The gym looks smallish but otherwise quite professional.

Food: Breakfast buffet on the 2/F is rather impressive and could be busy when there is a tour group. We enjoyed a wide selection of freshly squeezed juices (orange, watermelon, celery, etc.) and Chinese noodles. We did not want to try any salad because the salad counters are right by the washroom door. Food in the Executive Lounge on the 24/F is quite good. Small size, good quality but small quantity. Result? Sometimes we needed to wait for refills (extra supplies) from "below".

Service: Generally attentive and very good. We were greeted all the times. Here is a definitely 5-star rating.

Departure: Fast and efficient. We did not wait for hotel shuttle bus. The taxi ride to Guangzhou East train station was 10 yuan (less than USD2). Note:Don't try to get a taxi from the reverse direction because of the usual long line outside the train station.

Room Tip: Pay extra 49 yuan (USD 8) to get extra 150 sq ft.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Highway7
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe.

It is our pleasure to offer you and your family a nice and astonishing stay. Moreover, we are very appreciated that you point out some of aspects we need to improve.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Easy to get to (10min walk from the railway station + 45min rail ride from the airport), located right in the central business district with lots of entertainment walking distance away. Across the street was the best restaurant I ate at in all of Guangzhou, a local establishment that stays full to 3am with delicious oysters and hot pot ($100 USD for 12 people!).

large convenient rooms, a beautiful swimming pool, nice breakfast buffet, all at an affordable rate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe.

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and trust you are satisfied with our service.Hotel locates in the heart of Tianhe CBD with walk distance to IKEA, JUSCO and Citic Plaza.Also we recommend you experience Cantonese Cuisine at Suixuan Chinese restaurant on 5th floor of our hotel.

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Spent a week here in November.

If you are booking this from abroad and you do not speak Chinese, and you intend on taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel, make sure you print out the address details in Chinese from the hotel website. Taxi drivers don't know the word Hilton.

It's a really good hotel in the north end of Tian He. To get to the new CBD you need to use taxis but they are so cheap.

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable.

I had a room at the back of the hotel and that over looks the military barracks. It is a site to see all the soldiers doing drill. I also liked the sound of the trumpet.

The breakfast buffet is one if the best I have every had. One day I had pork and noodles for breakfast. There is also every Chinese and western dish available. The fresh juices are brilliant.

Room service is great and the noodles I had we're amazing.

I will stay again.

Down the road is the the best Chinese restaurant that I have eaten at. I will review this as well. It is called Shun De Si Fang Cai.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Joe K
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe.

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and trust you are satisfied with our service.Now we already inserted hotel Chinese address in reservation confirmation e-mail for foreign guests print out.

Hotel just locates in the heart of Tianhe CBD with 5-10 minutes walk to JUSCO, IKEA, CITIC Plaza and Metro/Railway Station. We also recommend you experience our Fitness Center and outdoor swimming pool. Besides that, eforea:spa at Hitlon is also a great place to refresh and relax yourself.

The local restaurant you mentioned is Yu Pin, a local Shun De favored outlet near hotel, we would suggest you to have a taste in our Chinese Restaurant Sui Xuan located on 5th floor
which offers guests featured Cantonese cuisine next time.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Arrived on the train on a Friday evening from Hong Kong to Guangzhou East having chosen this hotel because it was not too far away on foot. Apart from the poor signage in the underground, I made it to the hotel in less than 15 mins walk. When I approached the check in counter, I noticed a sign saying that a shuttle bus commutes between the rail station and the hotel...would have been nice to know that before I arrived.
The hotel is a new Hilton style, still not as funky as a W Hotel but still has similar trimmings. The outside looks like the Macau MGM but without the gold, silver, bronze colored glass.
The staff were all attentive, can speak great English and were always courteous. The rooms are fitted well and they do have non smoking rooms which are quiet for china.
I did the breakfast package and it does come with a good spread. The only thing I couldn't find was Soy Milk...as I am lactose intolerant and also most chinese drink soy milk, I thought it would not be a challenge here. After using my translator and asking one of the chef's, they showed me a blender full of hot soy drink..never tried Corn Flakes with hot soy but it was something worth trying once.
My only other issue was the dvd player provided in the room, its not region free, so the movies I brought from Hong Kong could not be played, no real fuss so I settled just for what was on TV.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay close to shopping malls, the rail/metro and are going to travel around town by foot, bus or train.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe.

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and that you are satisfied with our service.

We appreciate your time in providing your comments in regard to free shuttle bus service between hotel and Guangzhou Railway Station. We are now checking with regional office to add information notice on our reservation confirmation e-mail.

Hotel design is not simply fashion style, we combine traditional Chinese culture elements with hotel design. The exterior design comes from the shape of Cantonese Wedding Box and interior design is related with Chinese ink painting.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a brand new hotel opened only in 2012 so the facility is new and clean but staff is not considerate and needs training in the hospitality industry. I am a Hilton Gold member so breakfast is included. When I asked for a pair of chopsticks, the server told me to get it by the buffet area myself. I also asked for an upgrade where the staff told me that I am not eligible because I am not a diamond member none of such I have experienced with any other hotels I stayed around the world.
The EasytoBook operator had no flexibility but also very rude so I will never book through this website.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Hilton Guangzho... T, Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to room upgrade and outlet service issues.

We thank you for bringing this to our attention and we already took action on staff training and service quality improvement.

Be assured, we will share your comments with relevant departments to avoid similar incidents in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you again.