“Grand but disappointing details”

Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #30 of 3,430 Hotels in Guangzhou
Shanghai
“Grand but disappointing details”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked into Hilton Baiyun for our Canton Fair Oct 2013 trip. It is about 30 minutes from the Fair and 30 minutes from downtown Guangzhou. The hotel is grand and new and very reasonably priced compared to hotels of similar level. We were however disappointed with some details: the marbled floored and walled bathroom is really beautiful but the bath tub was perhaps not installed properly and water marks can be seen on the wood panel that divides the room from the bathroom where the bath tub sits. Mold is seen on the edges of the panel and the carpet in a hotel that is under 3 years old. It may seem like a minor issue but mold can cause severe allergies in some people so watch out for that. The service at the Chinese restaurant was also lacking, I was the last customer at 2pm before they had their break at 2:30pm and I ordered a bowl of noodles and a dish of dim sum. They forgot about me, I waited for more than 30 minutes and they were all eating and talking on their phones. The food was decent, though. There was also a young man in suit who checks on people walking into the hotel at night. We (2 women) walked in one night and was "questioned" about our business there. We did not quite understand the situation so we just showed our room card and he nodded and walked away. We started to wonder if there are some suspicious activities going on in the hotel at night time? Overall a pleasant stay at a reasonable price but just be careful not to have as much expectation as the grand look of the hotel. Front desk and porters were courteous and competent, executive lounge staff was polite and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hilton G, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear"MischaShanghai"guest,tThank you very much for having chosen our hotel for your visit to this year’s Canton Fair.We also would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on this platform.We are truly sorry that we have failed to fully satisfy you and would like to sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you have described.Your feedback about the minor issue and Chinese Restaurant is much appreciated and we are working on fixing these problems for our guests now. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.Thank you once again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is agreat hotel with excellent staff and clearly capable management. The rooms are very clean and well appointed.bed linen is fresh and a good sleep with absolute minimun noise. The location is ok with a short taxie to the main shopping area. Between 5 and 10 US depending on trafic. Lastly dont use the Hilton car, use a red or yellow taxie.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the early morning military training. Not a lot can be done about this I imagine
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hilton G, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear"Glenn A"guest,I just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

we were travelling around China for work and this was the best hotel I stay for a long while. i loved the room and the services I have received, everyone was so helpful and friendly so it was an amazing experiences for me. the room was clear and the food from the room service was brilliance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear "Sauman C"guest ,Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let our colleagues know that they helped you have a great stay with us. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed for the first time at Hilton Baiyun and was very impressed with the hotel, restaurants, spa and location. It is right next door to a mall that is convenient to visit in the evenings and weekend. I enjoyed the both the buffet and Chinese restaurants. I took advantage of the spa with an in-room massage, which was excellent as I like a deep tissue massage. I would definitely recommend this hotel to both business and leisure travellers.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hilton G, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear"Anne C"guest,Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let our colleagues know that they helped you have a great stay with us. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Very good breakfast, nice pool but steam room was smelly and was not nice. Room was nice, there is no view and location is not very convenient. Not close to city not close to canton fair not close to anywhere.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hilton G, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear “Mike M"guest,

thank you very much for your kind comments. With high quality service, great facilities and fabulous views, The Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun is definitely your first choice of luxury experience in Guangzhou. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel with our warm and greetings.
Lucknow, India
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I chose this hotel because of good rates during the peak time of Canton Fair when most others of my preferance were shooting through the roof. I was disappointed initially due to the Atmosphere which reflected decline. The hotel compensated with excellent prompt service with a smile. The check in and checkout was smooth. The breakfast was disappointing specially for Indian vegetarians as is the case with most hotels in China. Again the staff fulfilled all our demands without any hitch. The executive lounge was a delight and one could relax and unwind even while reviewing the days work.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear “naveen chanelra t"guest,

It's our pleasure to make sure your stay with Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun is comfort and delightful. Thank you for your comments and hope your stay with Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun is memorable experience as always, we are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future. Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun opened on Aug,2011 and provides relaxing experience for business and leisure guests alike.It offers comfortable guest room,spacious meeting facilities, and varied dining. The hotel is situated in dynamic Wanda Plaza at the foot of the Mountain Scenic Area,with convenient access to the Central Business District and Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Have stayed in quite a few hotels in Guangzhou over the years - normally for the Canton Fair.
Hilton Tianhe was fully booked - so decided to give the Baiyun property a try.
Pre- arrival had some email communication with hotel regarding transport from train station. Replied quickly to emails - this is always a plus point .
Unfortunately they don't run a shuttle service from Guangzhou East to the hotel. They do offer car services, but they are expensive. The taxi directions in Chinese from the website do work.
Arrived at the hotel quite late, but still checked in ok.
Had booked non- smoking executive room for 4 nights - confirmed - but was told only had smoking room left!
No upgrade or recognition of being Gold member - so not the best start!
Went to room - reasonable size - bed nice - shower nice.
No welcome gift, fruit, letter - nothing!

Executive lounge is ok - but why no Scottish whisky? Food offering - mixed

On the whole it's an ok hotel, but it's main issue is with location and atmosphere.
The place is empty and feels like the last chance saloon.
No music, lobby lounge empty, the bar - horrible - the smoking odours coming out of the small bar "Rocks" gives the hotel lobby an unfortunate smell.
Even during Canton Fair - nothing at all by way of entertainment. All the other business hotels I have stayed in have always laid on something.
By having something going on in the Lobby lounge gives the place atmosphere, and encourages the weary business man to sit a while, have a drink and relax. As there was nothing going on, and I didn't really fancy walking some more round the Wanda Plaza - I was left feeling quite depressed and miserable and so each night I simply retired to the room.
From a revenue opportunity - you didn't encourage me to spend. In fact on the first night I sat in the lobby lounge for nearly 20 minutes without being offered a drinks menu!

Given these factors I will not stay at this property again - no matter how cheap the rate is!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hilton G, General Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear MarshallTWM

I also would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on this platform.

I am truly sorry that we have failed to fully satisfy you and would like to sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you have described.
It would have been my pleasure to rectify any issues immediately during your stay but unfortunately I was not made aware of your concerns at that time.
In regards to your welcome as a valued Hilton Honors Gold Member, I am sorry that we missed your status and you did not receive the appropriate welcome amenity.
I am pleased to let you know that we have included Scotch Whisky in the Executive Lounge offering of complimentary beverages. Our team is encouraged to provide guests favorites upon request should they not be part of the selection.

Your feedback about the entertainment in the Lobby Bar is much appreciated and we are working on suitable entertainment for our guests now.

I can assure you that we take your feedback very serious and I would like to thank you again for sharing.
It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to continuously improve our service and facilities.
I do hope that this experience does not deter you from returning to us or any of our sister properties around the globe.

It would be my pleasure if you would give us another chance to welcome you back here to demonstrate that we can do better.
Please feel free to contact me directly if can be of any assistance with your future travel plans or if you have any question.

Sincerely