WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #27 of 3,314 Hotels in Guangzhou
NY state, USA
“Guangzhou visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

looking to support the Hilton chain, we stayed at the Baiyan hotel. WARNING!!! before getting into a cab, makes sure that the cab driver knows where the hotel is located. The hotel is relatively new and in a somewhat isolated area. We had the cab ride from hell with cabbie having great difficulty finding the hotel.
The hotel itself is new, clean and acceptable. As it was Harvest Festival, the lounge / bar was closed and the service in the lobby bar was underwhelming. After the cab ride, that was disappointing!
My wife and I had a couples massage at the spa which was most enjoyable. I would not rate this as a 5 star and i prefer the Hilton in Tianhe area to this one - stayed there during April business trip. However, Baiyan Hilton more convenient for the airport.
I would not rush back to this hotel but would probably put up with a longer cab ride and stay at Hilton Tianhe on future visits.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Philippe K, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments. Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun is locate at Baiyun Wanda Plaza, hotel surrounding area is improving, here would be a business district in the upcoming 2 years later. Sorry for the crab driver didn't brought you a good experience.

We hope to welcome you and your wife back again in the near future, other than Spa, there are more great things waiting for your to explore here.

Have a nice day !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our initial room had a horrendous mouldy smell. We complained about it in the morning and were told that room service will deal with it. When we got back to the room at night we felt the smell had remained. Upon calling room service they sent room service to "Fix the problem" however they just ended up spraying air freshener in the room. This did not resolve the problem and within a few minutes the mouldy smell remained. We called again to complain this time we changed rooms however this process took 45 minutes to complete so was the last thing i wanted to do late at night.

Other than the initial room problem it was a pleasant stay and a very nice hotel.

For would be travellers i would tell them to be cautious with taxi drivers as every one i encountered seem to want to rip me off. Getting to the hotel from the airport cost me 103 RMB including toll which the hotel staff later told me was a little high. Going back to the airport cost me 85 RMB including toll as i was a lot more cautious using iphone maps. The taxi driver initially refused to give me the receipt, then tried to persuade me that toll cost around 50RMB which it didn't as it only cost around 15RMB. It's not a lot of money at the end of the day however i am a firm believer that tourists/foreigners should not get ripped off. During my stay i was told one couple had been charged 700RMB by taxi drivers to get from the railway station which is absurd as they were charged over tenfold what the cost should have been.

These unscrupulous taxi drivers unfortunately seem to be a common place so you should request for the toll receipt as well as taxi receipt. The taxi should only cost around 85 RMB and a maximum of 100RMB if the taxi driver takes a slight detour coming to/from the airport. Any more than that and they really should be reported.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pest_mik
GM_GZ, General Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear pest_mik

I am sorry your room was not in perfect condition and hope that you would return to us again in the future.
Thank you for having shared your experience about your stay at our hotel.
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and strive to continuous deliver excellent customer service.
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed there for four nights visiting the Canton fair. I was hesitating trying a new hotel in a completely new area of the town, which a have been visiting for the last 21 years, but after staying there I can tell it is the best hotel I have stayed in Guangzhou and it will surely be my first choice for future trips.

We had an executive room which was very nice, spacious and well taken care of and with beds so compfortable that "called" you to go to sleep early. I think the beds are among my 2-3 best hotel beds I have slept on. The executive lounge also a very good experience, with a nice view of the surrounding area, attentive and smiling staff and a good selection of finger food to relax after work.

The gym facilities are very well equipped and the indoor pool and sauna perfect for relaxing after a long business day.

The breakfast and dinner buffet have many choices, but I felt they are not up to the standard of the rest hotel facilities & services. Having visited other Hilton hotels around the world I expected something more. Actually, both nights that we had the buffet dinner I found out that my choice of meat to be grilled (among 3 choices, one pork, two beef steaks)was finished when I asked for it, although the second time it was only before 8 p.m., the restaurant closing at 10:00 pm!!! When I complained I realized that the cooks had taken away the steaks from the buffet (on a table behind them) leaving clients with only one choice.

Hotel is far from the city centre, which was o.k. for me, but might not be appreciated by others, who prefer to get around and see things.

Communication with the staff is sometimes difficult (in all facilities except for the front desk and the concierge) but not to create a problem.

Overall a really nice stay.

Dear Lykosss

Great to see that you had a nice stay and enjoyed our service and facilities.
Thank you for having shared your experience about your stay at our hotel.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

The car ordered to collect from the airport was the beginning of a lacklustre stay!It didn't arrive!
Great room and bathroom but in a location so far away from the centre it needed to be.
As with other reviews the big problem is lack of English especially in the dining rooms...
Reception competent but requested a deposit in advance for the whole of the two night stay.
Only two restaurants in such an out of the way location very poor with the suggestion try the nearby shopping mall.
This is not a five star hotel but with a five star price.
I will not be staying again however the operations director was really helpful and his patience should be commended.
This is a very competitive market so needs to improve and make sure your room does not face the very noisy road,

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear PenguinTuk
I noticed that we have not responded to your feedback in the past.
I am very sorry that your stay then was not perfect and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back here one day. we have made adjustments to our service and facilities and am sure you would enjoy a pleasant stay with us again.
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Hilton is in a newish area of town. The facility itself is brand new and luxuriously appointed. Location is between airport and downtown, and the mountain scenery is a nice backdrop. Executive lounge is very nicely equipped. Staff is plentiful, eager to please, and English skills seem to be an area of focus. Room is top quality. Pool is indoor (humid), and gym is spacious with new equipment. All in all a great value for Guangzhou.

Dear NewYork_NYMoso

Going through our past Tripadvisor feedback I noticed that we have not responded to your feedback in the past. Thank you for having shared your experience about your stay at our hotel.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

If I write a review to complain, I must also do so to compliment. Things were much improved in my October visit compared to my April visit.

My biggest complaint then was the lack of English-speaking staff. This was a significant improvement. Mind you my areas of complaint were with the spa and laundry, and I didn't use either this trip.

The staff here is pleasant and very helpful. The best is Candy, the Exec Floor manager. She actually remembered me from April! Such a nice woman and very welcoming.

The breakfast buffet is in the top 3 that I have visited in China.

This hotel has a great location, across the street from the massive Wanda Plaza. Wanda has everything you can need in a shopping center: fine dining, fast food, casual and boutique clothes, movie theater, WalMart - you name it.

The only complaint is the slow internet. For business travelers who need to access servers across the globe, we need more speed...

I used to stay at the Garden Hotel, but his is my new hotel if choice in Guangzhou

Room Tip: Exec floor if you can. The happy hour alone is worth it
Dear BuzzBuzzard

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Hilton Baiyun isn't at all the most centrally located of hotels, but has the benefit of being in a relatively quiet and low-trafficked area which was a very pleasant surprise. It is by the old airport grounds and in what appears to be a new development area, with a large shopping mall conveniently located right next to the hotel. The room was clean, sufficiently spacious, and the service polite and helpful. On a price note, the hotel is absolutely fantastic value. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business