“In the end, I liked it.”

Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel
Ranked #29 of 3,435 Hotels in Guangzhou
Madison, Wisconsin
“In the end, I liked it.”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Without any expectations rather than this was a Hilton, and they would at least give a Hilton standard service, the stay was rather pleasant. As a world traveler but never been to China, the thought of being in this 'new' country was a bit daunting. Luckily, the help from everyone involved, even when many of them had to still struggle with English, was enough to make me enjoy the stay there. Stayed a total of 5 nights at Executive room. Will probably go back there, if future occasion arises to visit Guangzhou again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
GM_GZ, General Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear mdns

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and strive to continuous deliver excellent customer service.
A. Justkowiak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel twice in the past two months. The value was great, considering the price it charged, probably because it is fairly new and is located outside of the city.

Like most new Hiltons in China, this one is also new, modern and staffed with friendly employees. What makes the hotel interesting is its location. It was built at the site of the old Baiyun Airport. Not far from the hotel, you can still see a traffic tower and airplane hangars. A shopping mall is named Gate 5 Mall. From the spacious view I guess this hotel was built right on an old runway. It is in the middle between the new Baiyun Airport and the city. That makes it convenient for people who want to stay away from the city center, but if you really enjoy a downtown life you may be disappointed. Right next to the hotel is a shopping complex called Wanda Shopping Center, but its business hours are very limited, comparing to most other downtown businesses in Guangzhou.

Rooms were nice and spacious. The light switches by the bed were hidden in a "drawer" in the night stand. My colleague said on the first night, not knowing how to turn off the lights in the room, he had to walk to the door, shut down the power, and felt his way back to the bed with the light of his cell phone. It would be helpful if there was some kind of sign letting people know how to turn off the lights.

Hotel staff was friendly. One day I was surprised that my room was not cleaned yet when I returned after 4pm. Later that night, when I went back, I found the room was ready and two pieces of chocolate were placed on my desk, probably the housekeeping lady's way to say sorry.

A bar is located on the ground floor near the main entrance but it is always empty. We walked in one night and found ourselves the only customers. I guess the performers from the Phillipines were so thrilled to see customers that they came over to say hello during their break.

The fitness center was fabulous, equipped with the best equipment and a decent size swimming pool. Staff members at the fitness center were extremely friendly and helpful.

I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank atwater5122
Dear atwater5122

Going through our past Tripadvisor feedback I noticed that we have not responded to your feedback in the past. Thank you for having shared your experience about your stay at our hotel.
Wuhu, China
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The great gataway rate is very attracting for us bunisess trip guests cuz our budget is not so high to cover a high price. But the performace is so excellent compared to the price. Abundant breakfast, quiet, clean and modernized room with a large buthtub. Most importantly, it is very convenient for shopping around and going to the airport as well. Maybe next time they could give me a free upgrade as a return guest.

Room Tip: Rooms with mountain view is pretty good
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear JackyZ

Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

business trip to guangzhou at baiyun district. very nice welcome smile from Nancy-FD staff, and very professional. RM comfortable but a little bit small. as I am a blue member, the welcome fruit they provide isso sweet.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Alan_Jiang

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just been to China for the first time and the facilities and staff at this brand new hotel were excellent however the hotel is rather isolated in area set for future development.
To experience any of the old city you need to take a 30 minute cab ride and the centre of Guangzhou is almost an hour away.
Taxis are very cheap but none of the drivers speak any English so communication with them is almost impossible.
Be aware of taxi touts at the airport - I was stung into paying nearly £70 pounds for my journey to the hotel when the real metered cost should have been no more than £12.
So as I say - great hotel, very friendly people but if you want to find something more central it should be avoided.

Room Tip: I upgraded to an executive room which was circa £30 more expensive per evening than the standard acc...
1 Thank Graham-Marie
Dear Graham-Marie

Chicago
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The property is great. Beautifully appointed rooms and common areas. I am simply surprised that for an International hotel from Hilton that the staff does not speak more (or better) English:

-I went to the spa. Massage was above average, but the technician spoke 5 words of English. She offered me tea or water. I asked for cold water - she didn't understand. It was like she simply rehearsed the things to say during treatment.
-When I settled up at the spa, there was a clear communication issue. I tried to charge to my room and they made me wit 15 minutes while they called reception to verify my account. Then they told me that I didn't have enough money left on my account, which made no sense as they took a RMB3500 authorization on my credit card. I had to go to the front desk, with spa manager right behind me, to have the front desk manager tell the spa manager that everything was OK.
-I sent my clothes to the laundry. The woman who came to get the laundry spoke ZERO English, and when I called housekeeping to ask a question about laundry service, it again took 20 minutes.

I understand that I am an American in China, but I chose to stay at an International hotel from a global leader like Hilton. I think that staff should speak a modicum of English

Room Tip: Executive floor, if you can
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sonia P, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Honored guest,

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us and pleased to hear that you have satisfied with our hotel facilities.

Regarding to language communication issues, please accept our sincere apology . Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun has been devoting ourselves to the international language traning which can help us to provide the first-class and timely service to our honoured guests . We surely will communicate with operation department as a positive and precious suggestion.

Again,all of team members at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun are looking forward to welcoming you in the future.

Have a nice day!
Adelaide
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Only stayed the 1 night as we had long transit in guangzhou. A clean and tidy hotel centrally located.They have a great breakfast buffet on the grand floor and although they have a room service menu it is very limited with choice, its handy but i wouldn't room service unless I was pressed to get out and buy something from a shopping mall, There are many tasty restaurants surrounding hotel.Service was good with check in and out being very smooth. English speaking staff in the hotel allow for easy communication. Good location within walking distance to metro(subway) very cheap for most trip. Very good chinese restaurant serving dim sim(yam cha).. No problems at all with room,spacious & clean..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sonia P, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear H Honored guest,

Greetings from Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun,.

Thank you for stay with us and share your experience with us .We feel honored that you’re satisfied with our breakfast, service and our staffs. Thank you for your suggestion of improving our In room dining menu and we will handle it to the relative department as a valued feedback. Again, all our team members at Hilton Guangzhou Baiyun are looking forward to welcoming you .

Best Regards