“Sofitel”

Ranked #17 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Hk
“Sofitel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Overall, the hotel is magnificent but the following can be improved:
1) The check in counter rejected to give me one more welcome gift (macaroon). I have two kids and it made them fight for one. In the future, would it be provided based on how many kids or be flexiable.
2) I checked in after 4pm but I still needed to wait almost an hour for a room.
3) The lounge had strong cigarette smell although it is non-smoking area.
Most of the service is good especially the guy in the swimming pool. He watched my kids to swim closely.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Hilda T
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Hilda T,
Bonjour! Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations and please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

We are genuinely sorry that we did not handle the situation better to the experience you describe. We thoroughly looked into these issues and I have spoken with my team to make the appropriate corrections to smoothen the operations.

We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip and I want you to know that your repeat patronage is very important to us.

Fredrik Genberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Had a 5 day 4 night stay at this property. Here are my two cents' worth.
PRO
1)On arrival, staff escorted us to the club floor for immediate check in.
2) Beautifully designed room.
3) Evening canapes were good but dim sum was appaling being a chinese hotel right in southern china. Similarly the dim sum for breakfast, served at 988 restaurant was pathetic.
4) There is only 1 staff by name of Ruby at the 988 cafe rendered me with great service probably she knew that i was a foreinger as english was spoken. She saw my tea was somewhat cold and she offered a new pot of hot one. Such minded staff at this hotel is a rarity and it therefore is a gem.
5) One staff , Alin a trainee on club floor was friendly and ready to serve.

CONS
1) On arrival, at about 7pm no one was picked up my rather bulky luggage, entering the hall, i asked to be escorted to the club floor where i checked in and to be told that my 2nd n 4 th nights are denied of using club floor as they were my complimentary nights from Accor Advantage Plus. I asked if i could have the priviledge to be upgraded. With a cold face, a big fat NO despite that my 2 fully paid club floor room nights.An upgrade fee had to be paid which i refused. In fact i was even asked to change rooms on each night due to the different category. I questioned the staff about the leniency on club floor. Having stayed at a few different Sofitels in Asia, that was certainly a FIRST to me and i thought it certainly defeated the purpose of having a club.

2) arriving late, i had missed the afternoon tea and i had only half hour to spare for the evening cocktail whicb ended exactly at 7.30pm. At 7.40pm, a staff was clearing the wine counter, the one who checked me in. i asked if those time should be strictly adhered to. Failing to get a remedy for arriving late, she gestured me to her watch. What the heck, i thought is this sofitel should exude and more so on a club. Call me a nat pricker but this dissapointed me to the core. Thabk goodness for another staff , Alin who replenished the canapes and two boxes of dim sum as she was fully aware of my late arrival due to the unfavourable weather condition at the airport. I suggest thier management to send thier club floor staff to Sofitel Manila and Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit and learn the level of service particularly thier Club Millesime.

2) No consistency in the nighly evening turndown service. Again, please learn from the Sofitel Manila to see how they pamper thier club floor guests. While you might argue different hotel adopts different appraoched and mechanism but why then use the franchise of Accor sofitel?

3) No newspaper delivery on every morning, i had to request for it on the first second night and it was gone on the consecutive mornings.

4) During check out at the club floor, i asked if i could have something to drink. Before i muttered it, if my wish is granted i would consider my patronage on my next visit to GZ. To disappoint me further i was being denied of having a drink before i left as i was firmly and strictly told that it was my privieldge to enjoy the benefits. I contained my anger and frustration but to tell her that why it had too be so rigid and fixed with the rules. A bit of leniency would go a long way. Eventually, she did. Sofitel is the top range of Accor group which the hotel itself is heavily promoted. With while the property boasts stylish and contemporary rooms, it certainly did not render me a good stay, let alone "magnifique" which the hotel heavily stressed about. Will i consider to give it another chance? Definitely no, after all there is a cluster of new and established hotels within the same range for me to carefully and delightfully choose from.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CheongKamHoe
Management S, General Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear CheongKamHoe,
Bonjour! Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is with much regret to read that we did not reach your expectations during your stay with us and please allow us to express our sincerest apologies for this.

We take your comments seriously, as it helps us to maintain high standards of quality, service and comfort for our guest staying. Thanks for taking the time to review us and hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near further.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

The Sofitel Guangzhou is not only a beautiful hotel with an impressive lobby, it holds a variety of F&B outlets, a very relaxing spa (where I experienced an excellent massage), fitness and more, all aiming to offer the guest a comfortable stay. The rooms are comfortable, stylish and spacious. Apart from the impressive facilities, the staff was very welcoming upon arrival and friendly during the stay. At night the bar on the 8th floor with an outside terrace is a lovely place to hang out while enjoying some nice wines and music. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Loupie11
Dear Loupie 11,
Bonjour! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback, that I have shared with our team.

We pride ourselves on our hotel property and I am glad to see that our superior customer service to make your stay more comfortable.

It is thrilling to hear that you will stay with us again. We also very much appreciate your patronage, and look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Macau, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I booked my stay via the official website of Accorhotels.com, where I found an attractive plan called "So Gourmet", The price of this plan is just about USD20 higher than the one with breakfast but can enjoy a USD50 coupon which can used in all restaurant of the hotel. So I finally chose this one.

When I arrived and check-in, the staff didn't tell me any thing about the coupon. We were hungry and so we rushed out to get food and forgot about this thing. Later, when we walked around Guangzhou and returned to the hotel and asked about the coupon, the staff told us there would not be any practical coupon, it is just a credit within our stay. And this credit would just valid till the mid-night of our first day. That meant that we had to use that USD50 before 12 or it would be gone. We already had a plan that night, so in order to use up the money, we had to change our plan. This is a quite unpleasant experience with our stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Management S, General Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Olivia T,
Bonjour! Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I definitely look into SoGourmet voucher that you have noted, and make the appropriate corrections to smoothen the operations to this issue.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you, so you could experience our service enhancements.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Best location in the heart of the city, large rooms with nice views and great interiors mix of European and Chinese themes, excellent service from various departments, nice bar and variety of food - stayed for 3 nights recently and looking forward to my next stay very soon.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank VELKANNAN
Dear Chellasamy V,
Bonjour! Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our team.

It is pleasure for us to read your appreciation to our hotel culture. Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich is the only luxury hotel with a unique French mood for art and pleasure in Guangzhou.

We are excited to hear that you will stay with us very soon. I would like to personally thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel, and want you to know that we truly value you as our guest!

Life is Magnifque!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Nice staff, front desk speaks english, great view of the city!Centrally located from the places we wanted to see, fantastic views. Will definitely stay here again, also staffs are helpful kitty and marie is nice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathan Z
Dear Jonathan Z,
Bonjour! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We very much appreciate your kind words, and positive feedback.

We are thrilled to hear that you will stay with us again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

The Hotel was very good and all staff were very helpful and caring. The room was stylish and everything worked well. Nice and clean and tidy with the "French Flair" but nice Chinese touches in some of the items placed in the room.
Also welcome gifts were very much appreciated.
Good location for seeing many sights in Guangzhou but not so close for walking to the sights.
The breakfast was excellent and plenty to choose from and fresh, however some staff still require more training, as one morning water was spilt on the floor but no immediate concerns to wipe it up or urgency to move guests away even though the staff were all slipping on it for quite a few minutes, could have been a big problem if a guest went over!!
Maybe the cereal section should be re-arranged as the milk is at the back and the cereal at the front but when the milk was used it was dripping condensation and milk into the cereal, not a good sight!!
Cheese platter needs looking after a bit better and should be in an airtight compartment as it looked like it was left too long in the air and was not appealing at all!!
However, we really enjoyed the stay and will be staying there again next time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear JimFoote,
Bonjour! We welcome all constructive comments, as it helps us to maintain high standards of quality, service and comfort for our guest staying.

Please be assured that these comments are taken seriously, and that I have personally follow up with the appropriate team members to fix it.

It is with much pleasure to read your appreciation to hotel culture. Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich is the only luxury hotel with a unique French mood for art and pleasure in Guangzhou.

We appreciate your comments and your patronage, and hope that we will see you again!