“Terrible experience in SOFITEL GUANGZHOU”

Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich
Ranked #15 of 3,522 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I purchased a romance package which including a champagne wine and a secret present and room fee for my stay in Sunrich Sofitel Guangzhou. Very astonishingly, the hotel just "forget" to give us the champagne and the present . Due to my platinum elite membership, I requested a late checkout . It was 1pm, already passed the normal check out time but the champaigne which I paid for (it's not a gift! it's included in the package I already paid for!!!) still was not in the room, not even mentioned by the staff of hotel. I think it 's ridiculous, if I am not a platinum member or if I didn't request a late co, clearly i will not get the champainge which i ought to get. I complained to club millesime manager of sofitel named KATHY LIU about this . She made apology immediately and tried to relieve my anger. But I was totally disappointed by this kind of apology , after all , it's not MERELY mistakes!!! I don't know how many people who purchased this romace package had been treated by sofitel , just like me. As a flagship sofitel in CHINA, sunrich sofitel guangzhou has DEEPLY SUNK MY CONFIDENCE in accorhotels. The cleaniess in room is under average, I even found some food and used shampoo in my room (which I specially call hotel to make a upgrade)...... The maintanence of the furniture is not good enough, some are just too old for a newly-openning sofitel (maybe in 2010?) .... And Kathy Liu made me upset because of her attitude. She is not kind and not welcoming enough, I don't like her manner at all! I don't like to stay in a such a what so called "five-star""luxury""flagship" Sofitel any more

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teddy_xu
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We are pleased to report that the misunderstanding was cleared directly with our respected customer and that a free romance package was sent to him with apologies.
The Sofitel Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,637)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I tried everything I could in 24 hours in this hotel and nothing was disappointing. Rooms are great, restaurant on the second floor has the right price for the right Chinese and international food. The pool and the spa totally met my expectations. I could get an article translated in a very short time and nothing can replace a nice drink with hot appetizers at the 29th floor club lounge. Last but not least, Chinese staff is very professional and a European team is also very present in the lobby to help out. Really a memorable stay, unfortunately too short.

Room Tip: Rooms with access to the club lounge
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Konnect92
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It will be an honour to welcome you again. The Sofitel Team

An Accor traveler
Hanoi
Reviewed February 15, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this property and really liked it. When arrived at the reception. I was greeted by the English speaking French team who recognised that I would be entitled to an upgrade and promptly did so. Well done. Shortly after i arrives in my room. A welcome drink and snack was delivered to me. Very impressed. I really love the fact that there is a team of French staff at the hotel . Let's be honest, there is still room for improvement in china in regards to customers service, sometimes their English may not be the best.

The room itself is big, nicely decorated as you would expect in the Sofitel style. Large LCD TV. Free coffee, tea and water.

It's situated close to the Guangzhou East station. Just a 5 minutes taxi ride.

Breakfast has a large selection of pastries, cakes, fruits and the usual stuff you will find in a European hotel. There' are 3 sections of different types of breakfast. Continental, Chinese and mixture of South East Asian food. The European style food was fine but that is a big BUT, the Chinese food was very disappointing. If it has been the other way round I would not have been so disappointed. After all, we are in China. One would expect the Chinese food would be a lot better. They need to improve that and I passed the comments into them.

All in all, wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and hope the food would be better the next time.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank imperan

We really appreciate your feedback and have shared it with the team. Our Cantonese Master Chef if one of Guangzhou’s best and we were disappointed that the Chinese food was not up to your expectation during his leaves. We acknowledge that we should do a better job even when key personnel are away and will certainly improve in this area.
The Sofitel Team

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich is a great Hotel
location in downtown, approx 45 minute to Guangzhou airport
very satisfied service, for all service
great architecture in lobby, room and restaurant
very great hotel

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 240,711
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

We would like to thank you very much for your encouraging comments. It will be our privilege to welcome you again in a near future. The Sofitel team

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had to write this review after staying at the Sofitel for 3 nights. It has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in for service, quality of rooms and value. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, check in was quick and efficient for a Chinese hotel where they have to photocopy passports and fill out all sorts of forms. I have always rated the Shangri-la in Makati, Manila as having the best service, but this one tops that, the Shang is great, but the staff here have been extremely well trained, they all know their job.

The room was fantastic, great shower, bathroom and comfortable bed and plenty of western TV channels to watch. Breakfast is amazing, one of the biggest buffets I have ever seen. I didn't have any other meals there so can't comment on that, apart from saying they look great. I didn't meet one member of staff who wasn't fluent in English.

During my stay I had a birthday, and when I got to my room that night, there was a delicious mango mouse cake on my desk, with a handwritten birthday card, nice touch.
Location is good right in the heart of Tianhe.

If you are coming to Guangzhou, do yourself a favour and stay here, it's no wonder it is rated the no 1 out of about 3,000 hotels in GZ, on Trip Advisor. I paid around $130 per night, excl breakfast, so it cartainly passes the value for money test.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris G
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We have shared them with the team and you can rest assured that it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in a near future. The Sofitel Team

Reviewed January 29, 2013