“Exquisite 5 day stay”

Ranked #15 of 3,394 Hotels in Guangzhou
Sydney, Australia
“Exquisite 5 day stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Room was as described and in excellent condition, the club facilities were impeccable and the club staff and guest relations staff were excetpional. The food and amenities were first rate. The hotel was centrally located and provided us with free transport on arrival. Would recommend and revisit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank parbs
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in a near future. The Sofitel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Not hard to see why this hotel is rated number 1 in Guangzhou we had the pleasure of staying 8 days over the 2012 Christmas period - wonderful staff, great rooms, and brilliant facilities. Very attentive staff would always go out of their way to make you feel at home and welcome. The two restaurants (Japanese and Cantonese) on the premises were Amazing although we found the third restaurant (buffet) a little overpriced for our appetite but its the selection was incredible, so go hungry and you won’t be disappointed. The SoFit (Gym and Pool) were HUGE and always beautify presented and maintained. I would recommend to anyone travelling through the area. Its distance to public transport wasn’t a problem with an abundance of taxis always on call. Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ollie P
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We have shared them with the team and you can rest assured that it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in a near future. The Sofitel Team
Foshan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Booked a luxury room for my anniversary and was given an upgrade to club rooms, the views of the rooms were perfect, unfortunately my request for a south view room was not available, it's still ok for me since the service is just great, all the staff are very professional.
The bed is just stunning, in all the hotels I've stayed I prefer Sofitel beds, it just has the right softness for me and my wife, by the way the cribs was good too, maybe I'll let my baby girl write a review about the crib, haha.
Anyway the service at this hotel wins it all, thumbs up for all the staff that attended me during my stay, I'll keep staying at Sofitel for my next anniversary.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank William H
Thank you very much for your kind comments. it will be a pleasure to welcome you back in a near future. The Sofitel Team
hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel because of the great reviews on this forums. Our feelings were mixed at best after the night.....

Room 1008 (corner room, upgraded with extra HKD 200)
Day: Dec 23-24

1. Hotel Decor - nice but it didn't really sparkle until at night when the chandelier in the lobby lit up the whole place. Because the ceiling was very high , during the day when there was just sunlight, the lobby felt cold and unwelcoming, and had a distinctly :mainland chinese" feel to it ( hard for us to describe but we have ventured around China enough to feel it) - a bit stark if I may say . The lobby could do with a bit more colour to liven it up during the day time.

2. Room Decor

The corner room was a bad idea - altho a bit roomier than the standard rooms, we had a vast expanse of glass wall which gave us only a view of the building /windows next door at close range. It would have been quite nice if the view offered something else, but we had to bring the urtains down ll the time to avoid us being in public display. SO whether we had the corner suite or not, didn't really matter cos we saw nothing other than curtains !!!

The bathroom was very nice - had a separate bah tub, and a separated area for shower and toilet, and again would have been a special touch if not for the glass and proximity to the building next door.

Also, when the weather is cold and there is no heating, the corner rooms are very cold and we could feel the chill seeping through the curtains and the glass - we spent most of the time in our rooms full clothed in our jackets or huddling i bed under the blanets.

3. Service - it was nice but there were a few slips:-

we asked for extra blanket and duvet, both arrived without a cover on it. We then found a cover which was included in the pile separately, which meant we had to slip the duvet into the cover ourselves. We asked for an extra pillow and the same thing happened - it came without a pillow case. Not quite sure whether we were supposed to just sleep on the pillow without the cover ???????

We asked for the temperature to be turned up in our room , nothing happened after calling service centre and after 20 minutes we called again. An engineer came up and fiddled with something,and tried to get the controls to go up from 19C in the room but after some hulabaloo it didn't seem to work. And THEN we were told of the simple reason why our temp control didn't work - there was no heating provided in the hotel ( something falling under govt policy). GZ was registering temperatures of around 7C that day !!!

The room only had chinese tea. I called service centre for an English tea bag and they said they only offer chinese tea, period. I could not believe that the entire Sofitel does not have an English teabag on its premises, which cost next to nothing anyway. I also couldn't believe that they would begrudge a guest 1 tea bag !!

The tea press they had in the room was old and a bit rusty - the wire meshing at the bottom of the compressor was worn and tirn and I snagged my finger while trying to wash it - sorry to be pedantic on fine detail but I find that a simple soluion of a ceramic teapot would have been an easy solution.

Saving Grace - a staff asked us about our visit and when we told him about the cold and the housekeeping service he was apologetic - at least they cared enough to ask

4. Location - middle of nowhere !! its a 10 min taxi rider to the nearest malls, and nearby there wa really not much to see. I guess if the weather was not that cold we could have walked around the corner and there are some restaurants and small shops along the road. We were quite far away from the sighseeing areas like Li Wan area.

What I liked

- The spa ( great ambience) and the swimming pool area.Not a fan of L'occitance products so didn't ltry the treatments.
- The room service menu was very well and reasonably priced, and the food quality was good. We ordered a magherita pizza which arrived piping hot and the portions were generous.

Verdict - woudl I go back again? Proably, but only if I need to be in that area.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are about 100-200sq ft larger but offers litte in terms of view and you may have to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank steffyhhk
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive comments. We apologize for the service slips, please be assured that the teams have analyzed them very carefully to ensure such cases would not happen again
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Sofitel Guangzhou for 2 nights for a leisure trip, the hotel is located in the business district Tianhe however there is nothing close nearby. It takes at least 15mins walk to the closet subway and a bigger shopping or eating place. I don't bother walking so I take taxi anyway and the hotel is well known among taxi drivers.

The check-in was a bit of wait as I went there at around 12nn, there was a short queue of people waiting to check-out. The front desk staff is efficient and polite, there was an extra staff giving out welcome drinks and asking your needs. I found that staff there are all very proactive and polite during my stay, a big thumb to their general service.

The room is spacious and I like its modern french chic type of decoration, the housekeepers kept it clean, there was not any flaw in my room.

It is an excellent hotel except it's location.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Musesilvergirl
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I live in Shenzhen, on Dec.20, I and my wife drove to the hotel, we arrived there around 10:30PM, large and good parking places.

The room cards she gave me, were not working, so I just went down to get a new one.

AC took some time to response. When you walk out the hotel, make a left, then make a left again, there is a 7-11, cuz I need to buy stuff. It was good.

Next day, we asked them to delay the checkout time to 2PM, which was cool.

Checking out right b4 2PM, there was a quene.

We went out around 7:40AM, took the public bus to US visa interview place, there was even a western guy saying ni hao.

well, cuz we are Chinese, in case if can't find to taxi from Tianhe mall to the hotel, we took the B6 or B12 bus to Guangzhou Dadao Zhong.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wilsonjing
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I feel comforttable of staying in Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich , I love to relax with Spa. and red chair, room accommodation very good & excellent,

I hope to stay in yr hotel next time.

Best regards

Thitipa T.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Management S, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, December 23, 2012