“Too Wonderful for Words”

Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich
Ranked #16 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Too Wonderful for Words”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

On a recent business trip I had the pleasure of experiencing this amazing hotel for one night. Absolutely amazing and the best I've stayed at in China. Opened in April the immense lobby is decked out in classy art work, sculptures, flowers in a red/black/white theme which is continued in the rooms. The centerpiece of the hotel room is a free standing porcelain bathtub complete with bath salts in lovely small pottery bowls. You will sink into the beds and not want to leave your room.
The breakfast buffet included with most room rates is ample, fresh and delicious. We sampled the dinner buffet as well. Too many choices to list but fresh sushi, pasta cooked on site, roasted meats, vast assortments of desserts and even homemade crepes are just some of the many items to enjoy. This is one classy retreat in a very interesting and growing city. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Simply fantastic in every respect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

The hotel is centrally located and also very close to Pazhou convention center. It is beautifully furnished. Staff is very helpful and perfectly English speaking. Beds and shower are wonderful. Spa, swimming pool and gym make your stay really enjoyable. And price is really convenient for the kind of service offered. I loved it and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

The new Sofitel has beautiful decors and nice rooms, but the level of finishing and construction is very bad. They will have a lot of problems within a few years time...
There are a few restaurants at the hotel and a nice lobby bar. All of them were not open yet, but we did try the Japanese restaurant and it was ok, but nothing special. Staff there was European, very friendly and efficient.
Most of the other hotel staff are locals and they speak very poor English. It is quite difficult to get anything done or explain anything to them as they simply don't understand. The staff at the Club Lounge don't seem to be very experienced in hospitality and hotel operations, as it was a struggle every time we went for breakfast or evening drinks. They simply don't know what to do and how to act, and they don't understand nor speak English. It was quite frustrating...
The spa is wonderful, but the staff don't really speak any English. They have a European spa manager. I booked a massage and it was ok, but again nothing exceptional. The gym and pool are adjacent to the spa and both are indoor.

The service is lacking the wow factor that a 5 -star hotel staff should master. Hopefully they will improve...

Room Tip: Club Room with access to club lounge
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was about a month or two since hotel was open for general public. All is very new and clean. Everyone is extremely friendly and nice. Located right in business district, so most of the days I just walked to the office for about 10 min, which was absolutely great. Breakfast was excellent. Room was big, clean, and modern. Sometimes had a problem with getting a taxi outside (especially when it rained), but never waited more than 10 min or so. Defenetely will return there if ever again in Guangzhou.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at a luxury room for one night in mid August. The room is nicely decorated and very spacious. The bathroom is large. There was bath salt available for you to take a relaxing bath in the nice bathtub.
However, the staff seemed to be inexperienced and we had a few little issues during our stay. We had a slight problem with the curtain in the room and we spent 10 minutes explained to the staff before they understood what the issue was and sent someone to fix it. We ordered in-room breakfast the night before but they missed our order the next morning. They made up for the mistake by offering us free breakfasts but the food was not so good.
As the hotel is still quite new, the staff and the service might get better later.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MidcoVincent
angel c, Manager at Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Bonjour! Thank you for your feedback. we will continuously improve our services to ensure all our guests will have a memorable experience. We certainly looking forward to be of service to you soon.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

"Bonjour..."
This is what all staffs say in French to welcome you with large smiles.
This hotel is promised to great success...
I'm used to live in various hotels in Guangzhou: Westin / Ritz Carlton / Shangri La... I would say that all of them in Guangzhou are really good, even compared with many other hotels from same brands in China.
But Sofitel created a real atmosphere that makes me feel it's really one of the best among them in Guangzhou.
Sofitel strong points:
- room design / decoration with French flair
- many details like collection of peotry laid on your bed on a Chinese bed table
- amenities in bathroom by "L'Occitane"
- bathroom atmosphere: intimist, modern, efficient, luxury... with TV in the mirror
- staff welcome and smile with nice uniforms and good sense of service
- breakfast: with hot drinks / fresh juice / French bread basket served at your table, which is dressed with fine tableware
- great spa, fitness and indoor pool
Compared with Ritz and Shangri La, just 1 negative point: no outdoor swimming pool (but that's my personal taste...).
I just tried the Cantonese restaurant that was delicious. Hope to try their other restaurants and services when I will go again.
Really great !!! Do not hesitate to go and the price is good compared the other hotels I mentioned in this review.

1 Thank LV-France
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Sofitel Guangzhou

While lying in the bath this morning, staring up at the little ripples that sunlight was casting onto the ceiling, it occurred to me that much of my life course to this point has been misdirected.

Before I begin making a little rave about the sofitel in Guangzhou, allow me to digress. Those of you who know me understand that I have strong opinions about everything. And if I haven't formed one, I soon can. So it is no surprise that to begin today's monologue, I'd like to get something off my chest.

Firstly, I'm an idiot. Obsessing over the tiniest germ, worrying about a series of shapeless disasters in my everyday, has in fact worn me out before my time. And I, like most westerners, hold onto these values tightly.

We keep our hands immersed in disinfectant, our mouths listerened, our under-arms clogged with deodorant our hair free of the tiniest skin-flake, our homes, cars and even our bodies heavily insured, we drive conscientiously at prescribed speeds, we pay our taxes religiously and we tut-tut against the slightest infraction of these common values when Tracy Grimshaw tells us to at 6.30 on the television. And where does it get us?

The Chinese by comparison are millennia ahead. Which is not surprising, since their society is indeed thousands of years older than our own. They obsess about very little, they work hard, theyre affable, unconcerned and approach most situations with a pleasant naïveté. This is their secret. I believe it. And I want to understand this approach. And I started my journey today...

In all the times I have stayed in hotels, I have never, ever used their bath. Not even the fanciest spa-bath could coax me into it's disease infested embrace. Even with the most rigorous disinfectant policy (I carry it everywhere) I couldn't shake the belief that germs were going to kill me. Today I realised it's me whose killing me.

The Sofitel Guangzhou helped me understand this. It confronted my senses, delighted my every core with, I  guess it's worth saying... perfection. I've stayed at Sofitels around the world, but this one takes the cake. This one, run by the Chinese, shows me the future.

After hastily calling the Club Mileseme butler while jostling in a crowd of commuters yesterday, I sent out an SOS to come get me, to save me from my own bad scheduling. No sooner had I called than a sleek Benz appeared with not one but two staff, water bottles, towels, refreshments and kind words of welcome. I almost shed a tear. This was a most pleasant surprise.

When we arrived at the hotel I was whisked up to the executive level where I was asked about my day, kindly consoled, and then welcomed into their family. After entering the room, lying on the bed, looking out over this bustling megatropolous, I did cry a little, if only inside. I knew then that, despite the loving embrace of my family waiting back home, I never wanted to leave this suite.

And so here I sit, next morning, refreshed in ways I couldn't imagine just a day before. The words are spilling onto the (i)page and I can't stop. I apologise for raving on and on and on... But I can't help it.

"It's just a bath," you say... "Get over it dude." True, but I had to come here to be shown what I was missing. I guess it's a trust thing. These people, the Sofitel staff, invited me to just chill-out. Everything was so perfect, that I honestly believe my bath today to be free of any impurities, cleansed as they are by their environment. Any germ residing here knows it's onto a good thing and doesn't want to rock the boat.

So friends, if you wonder how much this luxury costs, then here's the real surprise. It was a fraction, a fraction of what I'd paid for dowdy, mismanaged hovels in Australia and elsewhere in the west. The pittance I paid for this lifestyle is testament to just how far wrong we've gone in the developed world.

We are newbies, infants on the world scene... And our, well my, outlook on life needs readjusting. The staff here are not paid well, but are happy. And without a million bureaucratic checks and balances weighing their business down, the hotel is affordable and enjoyable. Before you tell me these staff aren't happy, I tell you they are, and healthy too. If this is how you live in China on so-called 'low wages', then it could a model, a great model for running businesses and countries elsewhere.

So, blissed out as I am, I have decided that today I will not worry. I will remain unconcerned and let the Sofitel atmosphere seep into my very core. I will thank providence that once before I die I have understood true hospitality. And my advice to you, dear reader, is to do the same. And do it here. Come to Guangzhou and stay right here, perhaps in this very room.

I'll do my best to leave it as I found it... And remember when you're in the bath, to look up at the ripples. In my case it's much more pleasant than looking down at the sags:-)

• Stayed August 2011