“Would have given it 4 stars if not for bad service at Concierge and Check-in Counters”

Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel
Ranked #8 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Location of the hotel was good - connected to Tee Mall and close to the metro station. Told the hotel manager that it was my husband's birthday and we got a free room upgrade, a complimentary cake and red wine. In addition, we found a lower rate on a third party booking site and highlighted to the hotel which honoured its best rate guarantee. Everything prior to arriving at the hotel was perfect.

Unfortunately, when we go there, the service wasn't great. First of all, it was not clear which counter was the Concierge counter. On day 2, we went to the wrong counter (a check-in counter) and proceeded to ask for help to book a table for two persons at a restaurant at the Ritz Carlton hotel. We were rejected outright, and the person at the check-in counter (I wish I'd gotten his name) refused to call for us nor did he point us to the Concierge counter. Instead, he told us to go to our room to make the call. When we insisted that he make the call for us, he grabbed my mobile phone (without asking) and tried to call Ritz using my mobile phone. Not sure whether there is some internal policy at Sheraton that disallows staff to make reservations for Sheraton hotel guests at "competitor" hotels. Even if that were the case, it was most unpleasant to have my mobile phone snatched away from my hands by a hotel staff. On day 3, we finally figured out which counter was the Concierge counter, and asked for the cruise departure schedule for the Pearl River Cruise. The staff, Ashin Huang, refused to help us at first, saying he didn't have the schedule. It was only when I told him that I had seen the schedule on the Internet did he agree to help me. Of course, he magically pulled it off the Internet in less than 2 minutes, which means he was not unfamiliar with the site. When my husband told him off, Ashin had the cheek to laugh. I doubt it's a cultural difference issue (I'm Chinese too) but I honestly didn't think there was anything funny about poor service standards at a brand name hotel like Sheraton. Not sure if the hotel manager thinks otherwise.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonGuangzhou, GUEST EXPERIENCE TEAM at Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We appreciate your valuable comments and we apologize for the service of Front Desk and Concierge, we will take action to improve. We would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and we are certainly looking forward to welcome you back to Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Geylang, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Very grand Lobby, very huge waiting area. Amenities top-notch. Good location and food/shopping streets aplenty. Opposite the hotel is a shopping streets with shopping ctrs and all. Located in houjie, guandong

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vanngoh
SheratonGuangzhou, GUEST EXPERIENCE TEAM at Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. It’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel.
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I've had mixed experiences with Starwood properties in China. Few if any have lived up to my expectations. Sheraton Guangzhou, I'm happy to report, met and exceeded them.

An oasis of calm and good service, staying at the Sheraton Guangzhou was a welcome respite from a week of tough travel throughout Guangdong and Guizhou. Staff were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. All requests were taken care of without a hitch. The room was just right.

I look forward to visiting the Sheraton Guangzhou again. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mjcSING
Belfast,Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton is really in the heart of everything in the centre of Guangzhou. Rooms and bathrooms are very spacious with everything you need for a comfortable stay including the most comfortable bed during my trip to China. Breakfast buffet is excellent and has a huge choice for everyone. I also used the large outdoor pool which was pleasant first thing in the morning and had it to myself. The hotel is connected to the shopping centre next door via a door in the lobby and has loads of shops and restaurants. I have given this a very good instead of excellent because of the front desk staff who I found were slow to respond to my needs and just charged me GBP instead of CNY without giving me the choice and couldn't understand when I complained! They were also very slow in the business centre when I needed some urgent photocopying done, they don't understand what to hurry means! That said the housekeeping staff were brilliant in pressing my suit late in the evening - once they understood what I wanted.

2 Thank TheBish
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We appreciate your valuable comments. We apologize for the service of Front Desk and Business Center, and we will keep improving. We would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and we are certainly looking forward to welcome you back to Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I've stayed here and both times I've really enjoyed the hotel and the location. The breakfast is really good and being close to the mall is a real bonus. Getting a taxi can be a problem but I think this is an issue for the whole of Guangzhou, as I've experienced the same problem at other hotels I've stayed at. The only negative and it's only a small thing but check in and out seemed to be slow and they automatically charged me sgd on my credit card which I had to get them to change as it's against company policy.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We appreciate your valuable comments and we are happy that you had a wonderful stay with us. We apologize for the service of Front Desk, and we will keep improving. We would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and we are certainly looking forward to welcome you back to Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Very nice, very clean hotel. Stayed in club room floor and had a nice, large room. Breakfast buffet was very good--plenty of choices. Fitness room was all new Life Fitness equipment and didn't have to wait for anything. Centrally located and connected to the Tee Mall.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SheratonGuangzhou, Manager at Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel while you’re travelling to Guangzhou! We are very happy that you have a wonderful stay and thank you to share your experience with us, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Hotel is actually located right in a shopping mall so you can buy until you empty your pocket book.
I myself do not like eating in the hotel except breakfast so the large numbers of large and small, pricey and cheap eateries surely satisfy me.
Room is bright and modern, staff is friendly and helpful, breakfast is sumptuous but the drawback is free wi-fi is available in the lobby. Also you need to get a password that lasts for a few hours, after that you have to get a new password slip, very meaningless.

Room Tip: Get rooms in the higher floors so you can see far away if the weather is good and the vision is spec...