“Disappointing Hotel, Bad Service...”

Nomo Grand Continental Service Apartment
Ranked #53 of 473 Specialty Lodging in Guangzhou
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This building is a mixed use building so it is not totally occupied by hotel guests. Apparently, the owner sold several units so the buyers either use them for offices or for their own homes. Big safety issue because there really is no way security can check ( he doesn't ). People can walk in freely without a security check. Except late at night when the guard on duty probably checks but I have never been stopped and asked. And the guards are not always the same so how can they memorize the authentic hotel guest from an unwanted guest, I wonder.

The beds are hard as a rock. Luckily, I found relief that there are other centrally located hotels with far better beds.

Funny water heaters. Relatively easy to operate but good luck : )

Cable tv reception was quite fuzzy on most occasions. The screen would freeze, too. Haha
Including CNN, bbc, etc.

Front desk personnel either cant speak english or with a terrible attitude which I experienced twice. I can forgive a non-English speaking personnel although this can be annoying at times. But to be given an attitude despite their bad service is the ultimate test. Sadly, this hotel certainly does not know 'Service'. You carry your own suitcases, too. I found the two porters inside the back room office doing something. Don't know why.

Saw heavy construction across the street from my top floor room. That explains the 24/7 thumping sound. A future stop of a subway or something, I suppose.

Front desk manager has been very helpful but the most of the staff needs reorientation. No General Manager. No real lobby. A portion has been set aside to sitfor refreshments, for a fee.

Noticed a lot of middle eastern and Indian patrons here. With sacks of stuff purchased. Nothing against them, of course.

Room Tip: GZ has hundreds of hotels. We have other choices.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Oskrehoboth

Reviewed January 2, 2012

My family travelled in a large group and thus we opted for a suite (2 bedrooms) and a normal room. Alas when we arrived, the suite could only fit 3 people (one queen bed and one single bed in different rooms), which was pretty much the same as the normal room with two beds as well (which could accomodate 2-3 as well if we squeezed).

Cleanliness and location was acceptable and as for the suite, there was a microwave, additional sink, cooking area with a stove, which was a delight, but we were also unable to make use of them since there wasn't any pots, pans or even spoons. There is no view to speak of since the windows were dirty and visibility was low. And for those who are afraid of the cold, if you visit in winter it would be quite bad as they do not have heaters in the room. Just request for a portable heater from the counter and pray for one ;)

Last two pointers about the place. Their room phones do not directly connect to the reception and thus we had to make a few trips down when we had to request or clarify things. Also, be sure to leave the place a bit earlier before heading to the airport as the staff take some time to help you check out. They had to have someone run up to make sure that the room is proper (and probably that you did not steal anything).

Considering the location, it's not too bad a place, justifying the normal rooms' values, but the suites are not really worth it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank neelie-scribbles
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at Grand Continental Service Apartment for almost two weeks. The only reason we stayed there because of location. Its near the famous Beijing Road and Pearl River in which you will find major shopping stores and restaurants. At nights , you can go and relax at Pearl river atmospheres .
The hotel itself is not much in term of cleanness and tidiness . but its okay.

3  Thank Khalifa_161
Reviewed July 21, 2011

1. As an international hotel they need to upgrade their services level, from greetings, communication skills, etc.

2. Cleanliness is a must whether it's in the room or in the waiting room in the lobby. An absolute watch out.

3. Honestly speaking, last time was my first and gonna be my last visit. Aside from services problems and cleanliness I encountered, I also faced one HUGE problem. The male cashier who refunded my deposit money apparently used FAKE money for as much as RMB300 (the total amount).

The taxi driver who drove us to the airport suspected there's something wrong with it and didn't take one of the RMB200 I gave. The tea shop I went to also knew there's something wrong with it. Finally, the souvenir shop where I had my purchase claimed that the money was FAKE. I then showed her the other RMB100 and yes, only then I realized my RMB200 have the same series numbers.

As a cashier, like in all shops in China, they will check the legality of the money and double check using money detector. It is impossible for the cashier not to know of the money he's using to refund me.

ALL guests should be careful of the incident I encountered.

As an international hotel, let alone services and cleanliness are such issues; fake money?

3  Thank T. Sutejo W
Reviewed July 15, 2011

good value of money, 10 mins walk to big shopping street.
it is easy to find lots of shops and restaurants nearly
new renovated rooms
it is all about location !!
i do love the shower there !!
clean room with laminated wooden floor. (i dont like carpet as it can feel a bit flithy sometimes)
a good restaurant is just on the next bld

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2011

When you got off from the bus from Macau at Landmark Canton, and walk around 10 mins will get you there. Not exactly in Beijing Road, but in the intersection of Beijing Lu and Taikang Lu, there's a 37th storey building says "Trendy Wholesale Market" and the hotel in the same building with this Lingerie Whosale Market. Next door you'll find lots of cheap food. As low as USD2 for a main course with free ice water and taste good,too. Famous Beijing Lu only 5 mins walk from hotel.

Lobby and Reception: Small, and kind of strange smell. Dont bother looking for a bell boy or a concierge that you expect to help with your luggage. Just go to the reception, show your booking confirmation, they will help you. There's a security guard in the front door, he might look at you strangely, but believe me he's just doing his job. Just hold your room key when ever you come into the lobby, to avoid his stares :p

Room : We booked a triple room fits the four of us (3 adults, with 1 big child). When we arrived around 2.00 pm the room is not ready, we got the room key and they allowed us to get in while the housekeeping finishing their work -with lots of chit-chat among the three of them- the room ready in 15 mins. The bed are hard, but we manage to sleep well,room is clean, with a dining table+2 chairs, pantry with fridge, microwave, electric keetle, 3 bottle of free water+tea bag everyday. Big Plasma TV, with LAN cable for free internet. Bathroom with shower are clean and looks new. No moulds or strange smell. with toiletteries and clean towel for 3 (three). The room view is awful, just close the window than you'll be fine.

Overall : We are quite satisfy with this hotel. Especially their rate is cheap -Agoda got the best price- and the rooms big, clean and AC works well. Do we go back here? Hmm.. we probably check out Lido Hotel that sits right across Beijing Lu or Another hotel facing the Pearl river for better view. But, for a place to sleep with the 4 (four) of us, this place is perfect enough.

5  Thank JakartaSmiley
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This apartment is in good location, just short walk to Beijing walking street.

The rate is very good, so we can ignore some down side such as the bathroom is not very clean, hard bed, long waiting elevators.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family