“Definately a 5 star”

The Westin Guangzhou
Ranked #13 of 3,480 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed October 5, 2009

It is everything you would expect from an international 5 star hotel (including the price). Fantastic service, clean & modern rooms, all the amenities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who can afford it, it's probably the best hotel in Guangzhou, especially if your western.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Westin Guangzhou

Reviewed September 25, 2009

Hotels in China often are either new, well-located, or efficiently operated, but not all three at once. This Westin manages to retain this happy coincidence of these three characteristics. When I checked in I was with a large group, and the lobby immediately gave a warm impression with its very pleasant yellow light effusing the atmosphere. Check-in was smooth despite the fact that I was last, and when the check-in staff found that I didn't bring my SPG membership with me she took the time to look up my number. Very kind of her.

The room was large and of the modern variety (open window from the room into the bathroom, but with the commode itself nicely shielded), with a very comfy bed, discreet plugs for various electronic contraptions. The Internet was a bit steep but that was my only complaint, and perhaps somewhat understandable given the low tariff on the room itself. Loved the toiletries and their fragrance, had a sort of faux Hermes-y smell that was very pleasant.

I just stayed the one night so didn't have the chance to try the gym, though I heard it was 24 hours. The breakfast was bustling at 8am, but was nevertheless very good. With a fairly large variety (only comment is that their bread could use a little upgrade - hire a Shangri-La baker perhaps!!).

Overall, a very pleasant experience. As I waited in the lobby for the bus to pull up, I did think the large chandelier in the center of the lobby, in the light of day, was a little overwhelming, but it was very nice at night. I would stay here again, and first impressions of hotels are very important in a city with a substantial amount of supply.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 5 ngihts while on a shopping trip from Hong Kong.. Great Hotel, Great Amentities with an Aussie 2IC (from Melbourne) - Daniel - Great Guy who provides great service. Highly recommend a drink or 5 at Q Bar and my favorite of all time Lobster Basket from QBar. The Leather Markets in Guangzhou are great for handbags at bargain prices..

Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I spent a total of 7 nights in Guangzhou recently, one at the Ritz Carlton, and four at the Jianguo hotel down the street from the Westin. The Ritz is fabulous but in a terrible location, and the Jianguo is OK but nothing really outstanding. The Westin on the other hand was wonderful. The room was very large and well-appointed, service was excellent, the bar on the main floor is a happening nightspot that attracts even locals on weekends (and has excellent food BTW).

I've stayed at several Westins in the US and have never been overwhelmed, which is why I didn't book this hotel when planning my trip (staying here was an afterthought, the result of a last minute change to my plans). However this facility is far and away better than any of the US locations, in every respect. The only slight drawback is it's a little expensive for China, but if you shop around various travel sites and perhaps call the hotel directly you can get a good deal. I stayed two nights, both at around $105 USD despite "official" advertised prices of $160 and upwards. The first night I booked on Orbitz (who had a special rate of $105 when all the other sites quoted $175), and the 2nd night I negotiated directly with the front desk as it was an extension and I was originally only planning one night.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Haven't stayed in GZ for a long long time and thought this hotel has a better location than Ritz-Carlton and Grand Hyatt due to proximity to GZ East Station. Accessibility is ok, though Metro station is not that close. Hotel has a good pool and an adequate gym. Staff was not very helpful/friendly, just what you'd usually get in the Mainland.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank CHM1
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I travel to many countries and stay in many hotels. The Westin is simply the best. I cannot find anything to complain about. The executive lounge is the best I have used in any hotel in the world. The lounge has comfort, great food, plentiful drinks and superb service. Other hotels in the Starwood group should take note of what is offered here, especially the Westin in Sydney, which is pethetic by comparision. The rooms are fantastic and the bed.........it is the best. The Westin is a superb sanctuary from what lays outside of its boundaries.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2009

After my travels around China, my last destination was Guangzhou. I took the shuttle bus from the airport and the driver left me in the middle of the roundabout. I had to walk through the park in the night in order to reach the Hotel. Once the staff spoted me walking with my suitcases they run towards me to help me. I was so happy. I was even more happier when I saw the room. This was once of the biggest room I ever stayed in. It was beautiful, had amazing bed, large bathroom which over looked the room.
Staff is very knowledgeable and they help me to find my way in the city. The shop in the lobby is very nice and has everything you need to pick up on your way home. I am going to Guangzhou again in July and guess where I will be staying?

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business