Grand Hyatt Guangzhou
$137
$119
$223
1,003 results
All reviewsmarket caferoom layout isbreakfast buffetcanton towerrain showerthe ritzthe ground floorthe club loungebusiness tripother hotelsf bbusiness districtexcellent hotelhigh floorshopping mallthe pearlcomfortable stay
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I think the designers/operators of Grand Hyatt had the best intentions in mind, but their room design, while ultra modern, is just not family friendly, especially for travellers with small kids. Firstly, to go on 2 elevators to get to your room and with the rooms levels below the lobby level is somewhat counter intuitive. We always have to think before we press any buttons in the elevator. Then there are just too many glass doors/mirrors in the room, there is even a warning behind the huge rotating vanity mirror for potential injury, with the shower/bath in the middle of the room, there is just no privacy when taking a shower even with the screen curtain down. and the bathroom counter seems more like a kitchen counter since it is in the middle of the room with not enough counter space. On the plus side, the breakfast buffet was excellent, I think I had one of the best muffin I ever had there. The pool was fantastic, and my kids rated it as Number 1 of all the hotel pools they had ever seen (and they had seen quite a number of hotel pools) with underwater music. We will go back not for the room but for other amenities and service

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AmericanDr
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Before I found the Grand Hyatt I stayed at the Garden Hotel and White Swan. Both of these older hotels are completely stuck in the past and are living on a reputation that they simply don't deserve. The hyatt is better in every respect - service, food, rooms, decor - everything. The staff are some of the most pleasant I have ever experienced. The only issue is that some taxi drivers struggle to find the hotel, a quick call to reception on your mobile sorts this out quickly! This is now my regular base in Guangzhou and I am more than happy here.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Eatmyshoes
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Stayed her during the canton fair. Room was very large and well appointed. Location was not that close to fair but hotel provided an excellent shuttle service. Breakfast and dinner were very good. A true luxury hotel. Would stay here again but it was ridiculously expensive over the fair period.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank specialk23
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Hotels in Guangzhou have never really impressed. I had high expectations of this brand new hotel but I feel that it is not yet up to the standard normally expected of a Grand Hyatt.

On arrival (dropped off by a local in a sedan car), I had one overnight bag plus 4 paper bags and no one offered to help. It felt a bit strange as there were several hotel staff there with nothing to do. The lobby is on the top floor and one has to change to another set of lifts to go 'down' to the hotel rooms. I am fine with this arrangement except when I exit my room to go out, I naturally pressed 'down' on the lift call button and then realized that I should have pressed 'up'. This defies conventional wisdom and getting in and out of a hotel should be made easier.

The room is nicely designed and comfortable. However, when I came back from dinner, the room had a smell of a sewer as if the air trap of the sewage system has been broken (there is normally a water-filled U-shaped trap beneath the basin to prevent the smell from the sewage pipe from entering through the drain). It was midnight and I was leaving early the next morning so I lived with the problem all night long.

Standard of housekeeping was disappointing: lift door (in lift car) had water stains and many finger prints, stained white marble washbasin counter, chipped veneered cabinet covered up with paint, masking tape at the back of adjustible mirror not removed, rain shower nozzles are clogged up and sprays in various directions, electric blind behind bed cannot stop automatically when closing.

Still a lot of work to be done..........

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank doobeebaby
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I recently took my first trip to Guanghou to visit my company located in the HP area. I spent four nights in this lovely hotel. I didn't mind the two elevators and being a single woman was reassured that I was safe. The rooms are divine and I loved the bathroom. I even took photos to show my family at home (ideas for when we renovate). The breakfast was a highlight of my day. Initially the waitress did not know what Earl Grey tea was. Show I showed her the menu, helped her with her pronunciation, and for the next three mornings she remembered what I liked. Nice touch. The gym is outstanding compared to other hotels I have stayed in recently, and you simply have to see the swimming pool to believe it. I have told my friends it is simply the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business