“Best Guangzhou hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 3,390 Hotels in Guangzhou
Newcastle - UK
“Best Guangzhou hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

Before I found the Grand Hyatt I stayed at the Garden Hotel and White Swan. Both of these older hotels are completely stuck in the past and are living on a reputation that they simply don't deserve. The hyatt is better in every respect - service, food, rooms, decor - everything. The staff are some of the most pleasant I have ever experienced. The only issue is that some taxi drivers struggle to find the hotel, a quick call to reception on your mobile sorts this out quickly! This is now my regular base in Guangzhou and I am more than happy here.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Eatmyshoes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

Stayed her during the canton fair. Room was very large and well appointed. Location was not that close to fair but hotel provided an excellent shuttle service. Breakfast and dinner were very good. A true luxury hotel. Would stay here again but it was ridiculously expensive over the fair period.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank specialk23
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

Hotels in Guangzhou have never really impressed. I had high expectations of this brand new hotel but I feel that it is not yet up to the standard normally expected of a Grand Hyatt.

On arrival (dropped off by a local in a sedan car), I had one overnight bag plus 4 paper bags and no one offered to help. It felt a bit strange as there were several hotel staff there with nothing to do. The lobby is on the top floor and one has to change to another set of lifts to go 'down' to the hotel rooms. I am fine with this arrangement except when I exit my room to go out, I naturally pressed 'down' on the lift call button and then realized that I should have pressed 'up'. This defies conventional wisdom and getting in and out of a hotel should be made easier.

The room is nicely designed and comfortable. However, when I came back from dinner, the room had a smell of a sewer as if the air trap of the sewage system has been broken (there is normally a water-filled U-shaped trap beneath the basin to prevent the smell from the sewage pipe from entering through the drain). It was midnight and I was leaving early the next morning so I lived with the problem all night long.

Standard of housekeeping was disappointing: lift door (in lift car) had water stains and many finger prints, stained white marble washbasin counter, chipped veneered cabinet covered up with paint, masking tape at the back of adjustible mirror not removed, rain shower nozzles are clogged up and sprays in various directions, electric blind behind bed cannot stop automatically when closing.

Still a lot of work to be done..........

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank doobeebaby
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

I recently took my first trip to Guanghou to visit my company located in the HP area. I spent four nights in this lovely hotel. I didn't mind the two elevators and being a single woman was reassured that I was safe. The rooms are divine and I loved the bathroom. I even took photos to show my family at home (ideas for when we renovate). The breakfast was a highlight of my day. Initially the waitress did not know what Earl Grey tea was. Show I showed her the menu, helped her with her pronunciation, and for the next three mornings she remembered what I liked. Nice touch. The gym is outstanding compared to other hotels I have stayed in recently, and you simply have to see the swimming pool to believe it. I have told my friends it is simply the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. Can't wait to go back

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Venezuela
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Yes, the way to get to room is weird, you must take 2 elevators to get to your room. But sincerely this should be the last of your worries. I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton during trade fair dates, and the elevators take sometimes 10 minutes to get to your floor, at the Hyatt they are very fast . The location is not great but the subway is like a 5 min walk. The rooms were very large, great design and the Ipod dock was a plus since there are many speakers through the room, the shower was also great, one of the best rooms I've stayed in. The breakfast room had superb views and the choices were huge, the pastries are made right there. The concierge was very good as well as the check in. I sincerely recommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GUAGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Dear Viptravel52,

We are deeply appreciated for your great comments and your recommendation. Though the transfer of 2 elevators is not as convenient as in other hotels, it is safer somehow according to our in-house guests’ feedback.

Now Hotel is accessible by both Metro Line 3 and 5 at “Zhujiang New Town” Station. 5 mins walk to hotel from entrance A1, which is also newly opened on 9 Nov. You can take Line 3 from hotel to Baiyun Airport or Guangzhou east railway station and Line 5 to Guangzhou railway station. Meanwhile the garden in front hotel has already completed, I’m sure you’ll be surprised by the new surroundings.

Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights during a visit to Guangzhou. The room was super spacious with modern bath. The deep bathtub was another plus. I had access to the Club lounge for breakfast and evening cocktails and canapes.

The hotel is close to Canton Fair (10 mins drive) and to the international airport (30 mins drive).

Eating options were plenty but I specially liked thr G Bar and the market cafe - both have excellent views and modern decor. The indoor lap pool, gym and sauna add a neat touch to the business hotel.

Will stay again !

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GUAGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Dear KunalAjinkya

Thank you very much for your comments. Our hotel guest room is designed as boutique hotel in the market which is quite popular among business men. During Canton Fair Period though we’ve got a lot more clients, the whole team still try our effort to keep up the best service quality in town or even better.

Hotel is closed to Pazhou Complex as you mentioned (10-mins drive) and 30 mins from airport. I strongly recommend you to stay with us for your next visit to Guangzhou as the central garden in front of our hotel already completed. It is the biggest garden in Guangzhou and I am sure it will impress you by a brand new feeling.

Besides food quality, the night view of of our Market Cafe is also considered as the best in town. By sitting there the beautiful night scene of Pearl River new town will regale your eyes.

Looking forward to see you here in the future

Kirkkonummi, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

Excellent hotel at Guangzhou! We stayed at Grand Club King rooms/floor and hotel surpassed our exceptations. Short distance to Canton Fair. Rooms were very hip and cool, huge window between bed and shower. Only complaint could be only appr. one megabit/s Internet speed.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GUAGH, Manager at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Dear Super Samuli,

Thank you for your great comment. Indeed the trendy guest room is one of the unique selling points of our hotel. Rooms are designed by Peter Remedios with most up to date in-room technical equipments such as ipod docking station. I apologize for the internet problem you came across. We will definitely look into what you' ve mentioned and make sure you won't have to be tolerating on your next visit. Our staff always try and do the very best we can to offer our guests a pleasant stay at any time. Looking forward to see you again at Grand Hyatt Guangzhou!

Best regards