“Perfect long stay service apartment”
Review of Ascott Guangzhou

Ascott Guangzhou
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Good:

The location is near the new commercial center, best mall "TaiKoo Hui", best local Hong Kong style diner n the best local Cantonese restaurants.

The 2 bedroom apartment is very spacious, clean, modern and well maintained.

Bad:

The gym is quite small with very few equipments and free weights. Haven't checked out the pool.

Ugly:

Can't really think of any...

I would recommend my friend to stay in this hotel for long stay biz trip. Not suitable for couple or family vacation tho.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in September.
I arrived late, but the reception staff dealt with me efficiently, and importantly with a smile (as no smiles when you're tired can make you more miserable)
Up in the swanky lifts to the room / apartment.
Everything that you need, Wifi (not great reception though), TV, Washing Machine, necessary kitchen utensils - take out menus if you didn't want to cook.
Bed really comfy.
Only problem with my room was that it faced out onto the busy road, so was quite noisy. Something even my jetlag couldnt help me overcome on the first night.

Breakfast was as expected in China, mostly hot food - with some 'continental options'. Nothing to grumble about really as it's 3 nights only. Had I been staying there longer - it might have been an issue, as I've never managed to get used to the breakfast foods in this part of the world.

The Swimming Pool is great - on the roof of the 4th floor - a lovely relaxing place to be in the evening.
The gym is pretty standard - standard gym smells wherever you go.

Staff are very helpful and always smiling.

Location is good to get to the shopping malls (and they are aplenty !!)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here for a week in September. Location is very hard for cab drivers to find(even with map/directions in Mandarin)
Everything was clean, staff was friendly, pool was nice. Breakfast buffet was excellent.air conditioning worked great
Apartment had washer/dryer combo and dishwasher in kitchen. Bathrooms were both very nice. Flat screen tv in living room and master bedroom.
Internet always worker fine-we brought an Apple Airport Express router so we could go wireless.
Mall right across the street had an awesome grocery store (Ole) with plenty of American and European imported items. Subway station nearby and bank next door.
Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I decided to stay at Ascott apartment since I need to do a lot of cooking in Guangzhou (need to stick to halal food). I travelled alone and was met by a friend at the airport, who showed me how to take the metro from the airport to the hotel. It was a direct line (no need to switch to other lines) from the airport to Shipaiqiao station.
From there, you can walk through the basement of Taikoo Hui Mall and cross the road to Ascott. (I think the exit was B-A?) Very easy. The Metro ticket price was RMB7 if I'm not mistaken. I took the Metro to get to most places in Guangzhou as it was cheap and easy.

I stayed at the one-bedroom apartment which was facing the Taikoo Hui Mall. Everything was perfect. The bed was nice to sleep on, there was an iPod docking station on the bedside table (I used it to recharge my iPhone), Bose sound system (which didn't work properly when I was there), washer-dryer with detergent, all the cooking utensils, dishwashing liquid and L'ocitanne products for bathroom amenities. Even the electrical equipments are either Philips or Siemens I think (I mean of high quality).
I did not use the dishwasher as I was told that I need to purchase the cleaning liquid separately for RMB150!
The maids cleaned the apartment thoroughly everyday. But because they do this for all apartments it took some time for them to start cleaning yours and most of the days they came rather late ie 3pm. Oh, and no English whatsoever. If you need any assistance you have to call the reception, even the housekeeping personel got my instruction wrong when I made a request through the phone.
The hotel can book a taxi to the airport, you may request a day earlier. Mine cost about RMB130 from the hotel to the airport. And taxis in Guangzhou are reliable, they gave receipts for every trip.

The property was also close to Bank of China, you may get your cash there, changed your local currency to RMB etc. There was also a small grocery store next to the bank. Across the road was a supermarket in the mall, called Ole', but the price of items there were really steep. And arm yourself with the name of your items in Mandarin or Cantonese, it took me 20 minutes to locate eggs at the supermarket as no one speaks English there..

I also appreciate the umbrella provided by the hotel, it came very handy when I was in Guangzhou.

The bed was comfortable, there were many pillows provided but I do find them a bit too soft for my liking, me head just sank right through the stack of pillows...maybe the hotel should provide one or two pillows of different type?

Another minus point is the breakfast. The spread was okay, although I wish they would have more items. What bothered me was that I found the counter at the breakfast area was so messy it looked unprofessional and unhygienic, it resembled the organisation of a roadside stall rather than a 5* property. Maybe the manager can do something about it?

Overall this is a well maintained property and excellent accommodation. I took some photos here, hope it is helpful.
Will stay again.

Room Tip: There are some rooms which face the mall, during clear nights you can see the tower from there.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Nazda
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed at Ascott for 3 nights with my son. Had no trouble with Taxi's finding the address or getting one from there. Great experience after spending most of our trip in usual Hotels. The size of the 2 bedroom apartment was excellent. The Appliances were of a high standard - 3 Phillips Flat panel TV's, plus washer/dryer combo, nice touch had washing powdwer ready and replaced when I had used 1st lot. The kitchen utensils, plates and glasses were clean and also of a high standard. Beds were of similar standard to Hyatt and Intercontinental chains, so very good sleep. Bathrooms were very clean and all types of amenities. Breakfast was of a good standard. Internet connection was a little erratic but OK with patience. Reception staff also spoke good English (a relief from other hotels I stayed in) and were able to provide good suggestions and also arranged a meal delivery from Oggis (excellent pizza). A quality (many varieties from around the world) wine bottle/shop around the corner, plus small family market for other essentials (Beer, soft drinks). Would definitely stay with this Hotel/Apartment group again if their location suits.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank spuds02
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very nice hotel, clean, not much of a common use spaces(lobby, restaurant) but in the city centre. You will definetely need transportation to big malls in the far side of the city though.

Room Tip: Prefer top floors
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This is our first 2.5-month stay. My husband and I were looking for a hotel-like, fully-furnished, luxury residence (no long term lease and no extra efforts of signing up for utilities) but with cooking facilities. Ascott Guangzhou fits the bill and with more. It is a full serviced apartment with 24/7 staff, front desk help, and security. Maid service, twice a week, is included in price. Breakfast is free for 1st guest and costs 50RMB or less (depending on length of stay) for additional guests. It has a great outdoor pool and a large and well equipped gym facilty complete with a yoga room and shower/changing rooms. There are free shuttle buses to supermarket (Justco, Japanese version of Cosco) three times a week. Occasionally, the apartment building sponsors special events for its guest. For example, last Saturday, we joined a free (private, air-conditional, with 4 guides) bus trip to a nearby (45 minutes drive) lychee farm. We picked, sampled, and bought the delicious, sweet, and juicy lychees (in season this time of year).

My husband and I find our stay here very comfortable. The location is ideal, conveniently located (near most public transportation and shops, taxis are cheap). Bed is comfortable with clean, nice quality bedding/sheets. Kitchen tools are fine/top quality that we find in US or Europe. Love the gym and the friendly and helpfyl staff. Soundproofing is exceptional, and privacy is great.

Previous guests who posted here complained about the lack of restaurants in the building. I have to point out that this fact is a non-issue. There are many restaurants nearby. There are a few coffee shops and lunch/dinner restaurants in the next door building (attached). Just take the elevator down to -1 floor where the two buildings are connected by lower levels and parking lots. If one wants room-service, one simply calls the two available take-out restaurants (one Chinese food and the other coffee/sandwich/pizza shop) for free delivery.

The only negative is that it is difficult to make reservation for this serviced apartment. Sometimes, online reservation is not possible, but it does not mean there is no availability. One has to email/contact the hotel directly. Response is fast and helpful. Preference is given to long-stay guests.

Definitely, when I return in September, I shall stay in this serviced apartment again.

Room Tip: Ask for east-facing rooms. Make sure the apartment/room does not face west.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple