“Bosphrous vs. Bosphrous premium vs. Sultan”

Sultan Restaurant Guangzhou
Ranked #3 of 7,232 Restaurants in Guangzhou
Cuisines: Barbecue, Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been to 1001 nights in Shanghai, and also Bosphrous and Bosphrous premium in GZ so I have been around lol.

I will do a comprehensive review of all these middle eastern restaurants in the big cities in China for those who want to find somewhere decent to eat.

Bosphrous "street eats" is good for a quick feed, but their food isn't anything to cry about. The babaganoush is too heavy on the tahini and the balance wasn't correct as it was too much mushy and soggy. I myself prefer Arabic baba over Turkish baba to give you a gauge. But everything else is okay and normal, great to go back here again. Good price for people who are on a regular budget and want to go heavy for the night. Didn't really like the kebab here as I felt it was a bit dry and not overwhelming. The benefit is that you really feel like you are in the middle east with all the foreign employees etc.

Bosphrous premium is a bit too much with the decorations, but I do appreciate the effort put into the toilet. The food portions were actually smaller than the Bosphrous street eats restaurant, and the good quality wasn't that great. The meats here are nothing to cry about at all. I didn't find the pretentious environment very enjoyable, as I have would go to a big 5 star hotel chain for that kind of experience. Why not go to the Sofitel if you want to go all out with a ambience, decoration, food etc. Not really sure what this restaurant was all about.

Sultan restaurant is in a really good environment, a bit more upscale. The decoration is not too over the top despite the name. It is a much quieter place to eat and chill and you can sit there for 4 hours without having to worry to leave. I stayed from 12 to 4pm during my lunch. The babaganosh here is much cleaner in taste, meaning controlled salt and tahini levels, though the portion size is small. The hummus is a bit too dry/powdery due to a bit too much tahini, but overall it's still okay. 25rmb for all dips. The mixed platter kebab was better than the Bosphrous for the fact that it was simple, not overcooked, clean in seasoning. The red meat kebab was also better than Bosphrous because it was still moist and juicy and not over cooked and dry. Portion of size is good here. Two people spent 255rmb for:
Hummus
Babaganosh
Mixed platter kebab of chicken, red meats
Large flat bread
1 mint tea served in pot yieds 3 glasses
3 yoghurt drinks
Complimentary garlic dip, pickled veggies

Overall verdict: sultan restaurant is the one for me.

I write in such detail because a lot comparison like this has never been done before. I think Bosphrous is really for the travellers, but sultan is the hidden gem for all those expat locals and I think they try and keep I quiet to avoid mass crowds from reviews.

1  Thank aqzheng

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I cannot believe we've lived in Guangzhou 18months and not eaten here until December. This place is fantastic, and we will definitely be returning.

In case you have trouble to find it, just ask around the friendship mall area...everyone seems to know this popular place.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Certainly one of the best in Hong Kong..
Food is very good
Love the bread and the adana kebab..
Institute in Guangzhou

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was on a business trip with friends we ate in Sultan Restaurant every evening the food was excellent the staff very attentive the price was good value.I would highly recommend this restaurant .

Reviewed December 10, 2012

the best turkish restaurant in guangzhou if u like turkish or middle east food this the place to go for kebabs u wont be disappointed