“Very average.”

InterContinental Taif
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Taif
Reviewed August 4, 2012

When I arrived in reception I was quoted (presumably) the rack rate but it wasn't until I turned my back and walked away that I was offered a discount of 40%. To me this feels like the staff were fully prepared to totally rip me off until such time as I requested otherwise.

First impressions are that the huge lobby is totally empty of any guests or atmosphere. Even with a 40% reduction the price probaly keeps the guest numbers low. I only stayed one night but didn't see one other guest during my stay.

The rooms are spacious but somewhat tired. The furniture is old and scratched. The velvet covered walls are a mistake because they are easily marked and now look like a bad paint job. The bath was a nice size although the towels and bath robe were old and rough. The bedside music and alarm console looks like something from an antique shop. The bed was short (I'm six foot but expect to fit into the bed).

I stayed during ramadan so there was no breakfast buffet, it was only available through room service at an extra cost. My evening meal arrived quickly and was of average quality but the order of chicken, mashed potato and greek salad had become chicken, rice and green salad and green salad wasn't even on the menu.

One small thing... when you are given sauce bottles with your meal and the bottles are new I would expect the waiter to have already taken the plastic shrink wrap off the bottle top.

Overall this hotel is overpriced for a very average experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 13, 2012

It was a good visit to Taif again after a gap and this was the best time to visit Taif as it is summer time here and Taif is one of the best place to be in this times.

I had visited Taif for a project work and it was really a nice stay in InterCon Taif hotel.

We had traveled by Road to Taif from Jeddah and it was an official trip for me.

We took the Hada road to Taif and reaching the hotel was little bit difficult as the map of my iphone had miss guided us to a wrong location.

Anyhow, we reached the hotel and it was nice similling wellcome by the staff in the hotel.

As was having the reservisation thus the checking was smooth and the room was nice.

As went with family thus had requested for an extra bed for my kid.

The hotel was the same as before and it was nice to be back.

The playing area of the hotel was nicely utilized by my kids.

The mosque next to the hotel had a new look this time.

Good food and nice enjoyable stay with kids and the work was smooth too.

Nice time in the hotel, the lobby was modified and was nice and the high speed internet in the hotel is a very handy and it was really easy to use the internet in the hotel.

Hope all who visit enjoy as we did...

Room Tip: Make an advance reservation to save the trouble at checkin..
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Qutub
Reviewed June 14, 2012

so it looks like a hotel that stepped out of the 70's bc it seems it hasnt been refurnished since then. there is a pool but women aren't allowed to swim at all, on any day. really tacky wedding set-ups all around the lobby for pics r ppl who get married there. a little away from the actual city of taif. if i ever were to go back i'd probably try the ramada because it is on the cliffs of taif and the view is amazing. (we took the telefreak to the bottom of the mountains to the male-only water park and took a sort of roller coaster that women were allowed to take which was really fun!) bathrooms kinda old n funky n so were rooms. staff very friendly. no snack machines etc so either no food or their room service. anyway, its ok for what it is i suppose. taif is no great shakes either, ppl go there for the rose festival every year and thats it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Taif, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear racerbone,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found our staff to be very friendly. We want every guest to receive comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times over the years. It is big, stylish, geometric patterns everywhere and solid. A typical Hariri Hotel. It is upper class 60's hotel. Large rooms, solid furniture, Big fountains (when they turn them on) and huge foyer. It is let down by the lack of guests. So it has the vacant feel. Large hallways with no one to be seen is quite spooky. They are not really hallways as they are so wide they have meeting areas in the middle.
It is the sort of place I like - if it only had people! it is straight out of a 60's James Bond film.

They have a gym and pool. The huge dining area is great, food is adequate ( I only ever had breakfast).
The main drawback for me was the distance from the town and lack of taxis. You cant walk to town or the souqs and there is little around the hotel. Taif does not seem to have any taxis.
The staff are fine. No big deal but they do their job.

But if you want that 60's experience in a magnificent hotel - then at least try it out. Taif itself is well worth a visit - mountains, roses and baboons.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Have stayed here quite a bit when visiting on business. It has had a make over with new carpets and decoration, rooms now have new TVs.

Loads of space and places to sit all over the place, good AC that you will need, Staff all keen to help you and cheerful. Food is arabic withsome western options and is good.

Nice place to stay but remember no bars!!!!

Room Tip: If you don't want to go to Prayers ask for a room away from the Mosque otherwise you will get an...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TimTUK
Reviewed February 12, 2012

One night in this hotel is probably more than enough. We used it for a small trip in Taif during a week end, it was perfect if you don;t spend to much time in the hotel.
Rooms are clean, but very "old fashion". Bathroom Is showing a nice example of the decoration of the 70ths, and it's the same issue for the restaurant. Positive side is that staff are very nice and are taking care of you.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2011

There arent many to choose from in the laid back city of Taif. As a business traveller staying for a night, I needed something of a reputed brand that I can trust and the Intercon is the first that popped up. Very quiet and resort setting. Good place to retreat at the end of a long business day.

Typical cold intercon, with a large lobby and long corridors to your room.

Proximity to the Airport (15min) and it being remote and quiet (away from city) is one of the perks if you like. The rates are one of the most reasonable I have came across for an Intercon (666 SAR on weekdays).

Restaurant is good and breakfast was decent.

Rooms were comfortable with a nice big bathroom. Doors were strangely all metal and reminds me of vaults. Service staff was friendly and a word of thanks to Mr Khaled for making our stay a little more pleasant.

Internet was surprising slow by Saudi standards - business people be forwarned!

Without being a biased IHG supporter, I urge travellers to seriously consider the tallest hotel in Taif as an option - the 30 storey Alwaliv Hotel right in the heart of the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business