“Amazing place....”
Review of Al Wahbah crater

Al Wahbah crater
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Taif
Reviewed October 23, 2013

It was a great, adventoruos and a heartbreathing experience in visiting al whaba crater.Where you cant imagine how great is our creator in letting us to see the wonder of His creations.

4  Thank jcjeddah
in 6 reviews
"ground"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I camped overnight right by the crater's edge min Jan 2013, with 2 friends. the 1st sight was amazing with its size and structuer. best time to visit is winter in general. its about 4 hrs from Jeddah. the clime down isn't very easy, but sure worth it.

5  Thank hasanain
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a unique geological formation located about 100 km away from Ta'if, a city located in the Makkah province of Saudi Arabia.

It was on Friday, 16th June 2012, I went in a private taxi, to see a natural geographic formation that is located near my place of work in Al Muwayh. This place is called the Al Wabah (Maqla Tamia in Arabic). It is a volcanic crater located on the western edge of the Hafer Kishb basaltic plateau that contains many volcanic cones. To reach there, one has to leave Al Muwayh and follow the highway that goes on to T’aif. About 35 km from Al Muwayh, one approaches a bridge that points to a village called Umm-Adoom. One climbs the ramp, then follows the right path, reaching Umm-Adoom after about 31 km. Ahead, this road would finally terminate at Medina, about 400 km away. However, about 60 km ahead of the village, one reaches a brown-colored board that points to a right turn that ends at the Al Wabah. Total distance from my village to Al Wabah is, therefore, a little over 130 km.

We left Al Muwayh at half past eight in the morning, and reached the location at about ten o’clock. Al Wabah is, as Wikipedia puts it (see this link), a maar crater, a formation caused by what is called a “phreatic eruption”. This means that, sometime in the past, the ground caved in when there occurred a massive steam explosion generated by molten basaltic magma coming in contact with subterranean water. We approached the rim of the crater from its southern side, though the northern side was also visible across the chasm.

The crater is 500 m deep, and most of its walls are steep, some sheer rock, and others, gravelly and very difficult to climb down/up without expertise. The rim has a diameter of 2 km. There is evidence of vegetation all around the rim, but especially at the northern end. The sides have stumps of date trees that failed to propagate. The floor of the crater is a smooth patina of white that is formed of sodium phosphate crystals.

The appearance is of dried up water, which is what it actually is. Many people have successfully gone down to the bottom of the crater. It is reported that there, at the bottom, one is totally isolated from the world; mobile signals are not available either. The climb is quite precipitous, except, I was told, down a designated path on the northern side, which I did not visit. One of my friends recounted how his friends and he had gone down from the southern end, taking about 2 hours to reach the bottom, and about 4 to climb back up. I daresay, the thought of going down never crossed my mind.

My taxi driver Khalid and I stayed there, taking photographs and generally absorbing in the desolate nature and the immense beauty of this place for about half an hour or so. As there are no food stalls or other diversions, one cannot picnic out here, so, after I had shot my photos, we left, and returned to Al Muwayh just around noon. It had been a morning well spent.

10  Thank drtaher
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We trekked down to the bottom, it was difficult as we were not aware of the proper route. It took nearly two hours to get down there. I would advise you to bring plenty of water. It gets very hot by midday. There is a route down that is just off the road that leads to the crater. We unfortunately didn't see it until we were at the base of the crater and opted to go back up the way we went down. Definitely worth the trip, you must be of a good fitness level.

10  Thank MaryKateNI19