“Only option if you're an Infidel”
Review of Le Meridien Medina

Le Meridien Medina
Ranked #88 of 151 Hotels in Medina
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Medina reportedly has some great hotels (Hiltons, Sheratons, etc.), but I'll never know, unless I convert. All those hotels are inside the Haram (forbidden) area. In fact, almost everything to see in Medina is inside the Haram, like Mecca. Large imposing signs line the perimeter telling non-Muslims to stay out. We were in Medina as our jumping-off point to Medain Salah, a couple hours north. The Meridien is your only choice. It's a large and mediocre hotel on the outskirts. We were the only diners at the buffet, which was so-so and expensive. The room was dark, because most of the bulbs were burned out.

Room Tip: It's not so easy to get a room here (for non-Muslims). Book early!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lalhasa
Walid Reda S, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Medina, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Mr.Ialhasa

Greetings from Le Meridien Madina

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, the point you have raised in regarding to the forbidden area it is govt policy and we will must follow it.
regarding burned bulb we have investigate and management take necessary action.
please accept oursincere apologies. we take all feedback from our guests seriously to heart and therefore we will be investigating the matter that you have raised and we will take corrective measures to resolve the situation. we are glad that you will be returning and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards
Walid R. Shalaby
Director of sales & Marketing

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is the only hotel available to non-Muslims in Medina as it is outside of the "Haram" or holy area. It is NOT by any measure what you would expect of Le Meridien. Unlike other reviewers, I found service well-intentioned, just not adequately trained. I had a funny discussion with the front desk when I called to ask for a Room Service menu. Reception insisted it was in my room but I could not find it in any of the places he said it should be. He finally (and reluctantly) agreed to send another up but when I hung up I found it, hidden under the part of the quilt folded over by "turn-down" service—absolutely out of sight. The hotel offers very limited services. There is one restaurant with a buffet for every meal during limited hours. If this does not suit you, then there is Room Service. There is nothing for purchase in the lobby—not snacks, not gifts. The hotel is not near enough to anything for you to walk to other options although you can take a taxi to any one of several large shopping malls.

What I found kind of amusing was that half of my desk was blocked by a tray permanently attached to the desk surface that supported an electric kettle, cups, tea bags and instant coffee. I had to use my laptop at an awkward angle.

Unlike other reviewers I found Internet speed to be fine although having to purchase it every 24 hours was annoying as was the cost.

This hotel is fine for what it is--it is comfortable but very basic.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Walid Reda S, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Medina, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear. Lavjajeraliz

Greetings from Meridien Madina

Thank you very much for staying at Le Meridien Madina and taking the time to share your feedback.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay with us.
I already share your complaint to Room Division and send you a private message to get some more information.
We are glad that you will be returning and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thanks and best regards

Walid .R. Shalaby
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel that was so bad it finally made me write a Trip Adviser Review!

They evidently survive from the Non Muslims who are requried to stay here when visiting Medina and clearly make no efforts to provide even a decent level of service and experience despite charging more than double some of the fantastic 5* hotels located in Medina.
The hotel is very large yet i constantly felt like i was staying there alone, and this included the lack of staff.
Probably summed up my experience of receiving a stone cold meal from room service and after 30 mis of trying to fix it with several different staff was finally told by the kitchen manager that they cook food to order hence I must have ordered it cold. Priceless
Comfortably my worst hotel experience on a cost/value/experience ratio - p

Room Tip: Just avoid it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Walid Reda S, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Medina, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Mr.Livethelifeyoulove1
Greetings from Meridien Madina

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here.I regret to learn about some of the service shortfalls you experienced during your recent stay at le Meridien Madina and i apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Please be assured that we will continuously review ways to fine-tune our processes and services to ensure better efficiency and quality of our service touch points.

Thank you again for your review,its is through valuable feedback like yours that allows us to continuously improve our service quality to provide our guests with a warm and comfortable stay.I hope to welcome you and your loved one back to Le Meridien Madina in the near future for a more successful stay.

Thanks and best Regards
Walid Shalaby
Director of sales
le Meridien Hotel Madina

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had a really bad experience of staying in Le Meridien Medina hotel earlier this week when I was there with one of my colleague for a business trip.
The first thing that surprised me was no security at the entrance (no one ever checked us despite entering any time in & out of the hotel) although I don't like being checked frequently, yet in a country like Saudi Arabia there should be some checks, randomly if not regularly. However, I never saw any security guard at the gate whatsoever. The barrier was always open.
Anyhow, once we entered the hotel, it was hard for us to find out where the reception was. At last we came to know that the reception of in a corner where two gentlemen were sitting on a table (not like a regular counter). It took us long time to check in but at last we manged to get two rooms.
The room was clean but surprisingly nothing in the mini-bar. The small fridge was empty and was smelling. There was wireless internet but it was paid (Saudi Riyal 100 per day) which is strange as these days most of the hotels provide free internet.
I told at the reception that I need English newspaper in the morning but I think they did not pay attention to what I said and for two days I kept on getting Arabic Newspaper every morning.
The worst was the check-out. It took us 45 minutes to check out and we almost missed out flight because of the lousy staff at the reception. There were only two tables and one computer was working. Apparently, the staff didn't know the password of second computer... would you believe it? After a wait of 45 minutes, the guy told us "OK, you can go!". That made us laugh because he didn't even bother to print me a receipt. He couldn't even speak proper English and seemed to be very lazy.
The breakfast was ok but not of a 5 star rating.
Overall, it was a pathetic experience. I would never ever stay in Le Meridien in medina. I would prefer to stay near the Haram Area where most of the hotels are located. I have no idea who gave this hotel a 5-star rating???

Room Tip: My tip, don't stay in this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel seems OK from the outside but pretty much everything is skimped on. Just one water in the room etc. The usual Starwood RIP OFF for wi-fi access... SR100 for 24 hours. The wi fi is dig slow as well. A recent IHG survey in the middle east stated that wifi is key for travellers so its about time Starwood woke up to this.
Unfortunately for non muslims this is the only hotel available in Medina and I assume this is why they seem completely unconcerned.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Was there for a meeting where we took one meeting room on the 4th floor , the room is situated between two blocks and this gives the impression that initially it was not a meeting room rather a balcony , very very narrow , very poor equiments , coffee break was not that much ,danish pastry delicious , the restaurant is empty and they served private lunch to us , salad is poor with no dressing at all, food is between poor and average , desert is a complete failure . Compared to other meridiens , this one is totally outdated , at least from design , meeting,restaurant perspectives !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel is located outside the 'haram' so non Muslims are able to stay there. I found this hotel to be lacking any atmosphere and was relatively empty as hotels go. The bedroom was a decent size with a good sized bathroom. However, for an empty hotel, you find that as the rooms are not turned over regularly, the staff soon forget to dust and keep the rooms clean. I found the bathroom was unkempt. As there was hardly anybody staying there, I was not excited about eating in the hotel and took the hotel minibus to the town center. Non Muslims will not be able to do that as the town center is out of bounds for people of other religions. The breakfast was equally dull with little variety. I don't think any place in Medina is for leisure activities so do not think of going to Medina expecting to be having fun. Medina is a totally religious place and you are expected to behave with total respect for islam. The staff was very polite and helpful. I would say that for a business trip this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business