“Average Place”

Ranked #15 of 77 Hotels in Al Khobar
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Average Place”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Carlton Al Moaibed Hotel, is a fairly old hotel and though it says it is a 5 star it is seems like a 2 or 3 stars. I was doing a 10 day training session there for a client and though the banquet services were excellent, the room and the food was not something to write home about. The room that i was in was small, housekeeping bad, stained beds and chairs, old and leaking plumbing in the room.

The restaurants are very average, cuisine is a mix of arabic, mediterranean and with bits of italian thrown in. The buffet served was however very nice and a royal spread available on all days, though the taste was very very mediocre. Room Service was not at all good and the menu very lebanese. I usually would order a chicken sandwich was the best in the menu. I ordered a grilled chicken one day, but they sent me a cremated chicken and the room service refused to take my complaint as they said it was well done.

Saw very few international guests, mostly people from the Middle east. The banquet services were good and the staff there very helpful.

If you have to be in that area then, there are there choices like sofitel, this hotel is not a preferred place, but then if you client hosts you there, ... enjoy the buffet!

Room Tip: HIgher rooms are recommended but ask for the newly furbished rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Anirudh G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Not easy to review this hotel, it is not 'standard'. Details:

1- My room was in the third floor. It was ok. By curiosity I checked the second and fourth floors, they looked really old and in bad shape. It seems the hotel is being renovated, which explains the old bad reviews.

2- The hotel rates itself as 5 star, but this could not be possible. Especially that some regulars I met there consider it a 4-star. Caricaturically, I felt it it is a 4 star mimicking a 5-star one. Sorry guys, despite all your efforts, Quality is by no-means 5-star, especially food.

3- My room had a high-end 4-star look, the bathroom was very good. You feel that houskeeping is lazy (dust everywhere, stains on carpet)

4- The reception area and lobby are elegant and nice to meet in.

5- True what has been said about restaurants randomely close. Still it is understandable and have seen it in many hotels before, especially with low occupancy and buffet dinner styles. I tried the Mexican one, it was good.

6- I cannot really comment on service because I normally avoid asking much in hotels. I asked for a sandwich at midnight and got it in my room in 15 min. I think this is good.

7- VALUE: is what you really get in this hotel. I found 120usd room rate acceptable. A buffet dinner for 30usd. Minibar is really cheap: never been charged before as low as 2usd for a coke and 3 for a perrier.

A major shortcoming, as in most hotels, is the internet wi-fi rate. Ridiculous 7usd per hour!!! with weak coverage. Don't hotels feel embarrassed keep expensively charging clients for a service you can pick up for free in any coffe shop (if not even in some busy shopping streets)?

In summary, if you are in 1 to 3 day business trip and not working from hotel, this hotel is recommended for the good value. The five points I grant are in this context: a really good 4-star hotel

If you expect certified 5-star standards, don't bother go there and then trash hotel with a bad review

Room Tip: Make sure you reserve on Third Floor. Get a room that starts with number 3
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveler_a66
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I've read the older reviews with some surprise. I've found the standard of service and cleanliness to be very good. I'm running a course here and the conference staff have been very helpful. I'd definitely use it again.

• Stayed December 2011
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed October 26, 2010

First night spent in a room above the AC motors. It was like sleeping on an airplane, I then asked to move to another bedroom.

The rooms are coming straight from the 60ies.

On the last night I had one guy entering my bedroom at 4:30am!!!
He just checked-in and he was assigned my bedroom!!!

Had a pair of brand new trousers (150$) ruined by the laundry service after giving specific instruction on how to wash.
I was offered 15$ to pay for the damage and I haven't even seen that money.

I left in disgust as soon as possible!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank petrus74

Travelers are raving about these Al Khobar hotels

Cheshire
Reviewed November 16, 2009

From the moment when you walk in and try to get the attention of the scruffy youth behind the counter, who would much rather watch TV and chat with his mates, to the time when you manage to escape, you will experience poor service in a dreary, tatty and poorly maintained establishment.
This hotel tries to tell you that it is "super luxury" (their words) yet it is upstaged by the average budget hotel or motel in almost every respect.
Issues I encountered included:
• Grubby and shabby room - not particularly well cleaned, tired furniture, rather down-market. Grubby telephone, TV remote, bed headboard etc
• AC not working when I checked in - the room had obviously not been checked for a guest
• Hot water was never hot - warm at best
• No response to requests to get the water working
• Rip off internet
• Poor service and attitude. No willingness to help or put themselves out for the customer
• Certain restaurants closed unpredictably and nobody seemed to know why or when
• Dreary and uninspiring room service
• I never met themanager, even though I asked to several times.
I was running a seminar there and the conference facilities were, if anything, worse!
• Grubby carpet that had not been vacuumed. Bits of rubbish on the floor including a broken coat hanger. This was still there on day 3!
• Staff arguing rather than fixing things e.g. unsafe wiring and unsafe cables left trailing across the floor
• Grubby tablecloths where the refreshments were served
• Room not ready on time – I had to slide the heavy dividing doors shut myself etc
• AC not working at the start on the first day
• Poor attitude
Generally this is a poor hotel where they do the minimum and charge the maximum.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank David_and_travels
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I am staying here for a few weeks - so you know the situation before you book here goes

Good points

1. Old and solid. Unlike many newer hotels this has proper stairs, easy to open windows, only a few floors, large dinning rooms - it is truly an old madam

Points for improvement
1. the staff need training - they have little idea of hotel day to day service - which I don;t mind if they are pleasant and happy in their job - but they are grumpy to boot.There is nothing like a surly sloppy staff in the breakfast room to get you off to a good start.

2. The internet charges are ridiculous - as is almost every hotel I have stayed in and I constantly tell them - (and I recommend that everyone does until we wear them down)

3. I haven;t figured out the best time to get hot water from the taps yet - that should tell you enough.

Other points : its a long way from downtown. I favour walking - but that is unknown here and they think I am a bit mental. But the streets here are quite interesting to stroll around - at least you are on your own!

It is stuck out in the rubble that makes up part of AL Khobar and Dammam.

But really it would take very little to fix this up into the stately dame that it should be.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business