“Excellent service - at a price”

InterContinental Al Jubail
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Al Jubail
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was my first stay at an Intercontinental. The staff were welcoming and very helpful. The room was large, with two queen beds and featured a full bath, with toilet and bidet, weigh scale, bathrobe and slippers. The scale helped me to determine that I'd gained a kilogram in the week I stayed there.

The internet connection was mostly good, and comparable to those seen in the United States and Europe. Some downloaded CNN videos played smartly and some just stalled. As is often the case with me in hotels, I never turned on the widescreen lcd television, so I don't know what that offered. Wall receptacles were the multi-cultural type, so no electrical adapter was needed for most plugs.

The room was clean and well-kept, and a conservation program is in place to avoid unnecessary laundering of towels. A complimentary copy of Arab News was delivered daily.

The hotel sports Al Tuwayah, a buffet restaurant, and Al Rehab, a snack bar, on the reception level. Al Tuwayah features a variety of regional and foreign foods, calculated to appeal to Arab, American, European and Oriental tastes. The steam table offers rice and five to ten hot meat, fish and vegetable dishes and there is a cook-to-order station where fish and meats are prepared as you like, along with a choice of fried vegetables and noodles. The menu changes daily. The fried hammour in pesto breading is delicious. There's usually a selection of deep-fried spring rolls and samosas, too.

Wednesday night appears to be fish night and the variety of foods expands a little. Friday lunch expands out of Al Tuwayah into the hotel lobby area, with cocktail shrimp, incredible smoked fish and lots of other appetizers. This started as a hotel review, but look where it's going!

And don't even ask about soup (one daily), salads, breads and desserts. The variety is dizzying and the quality every bit as good as the appetizer and entree offerings. You'll pay about 219 Saudi riyals for the lunch or dinner buffet. If you have an average appetite, this is pretty expensive by American standards.

Breakfast is also buffet at Al Tuwayah, with something to please everyone. This is somewhat North of 100 Saudi riyals, and is, by American standards, *Really* expensive, but very good. Amongst the offerings is included "beef bacon." A word of advice: Don't. This was the only real dud I found in the menu.

I didn't try the offerings at Al Rehab.

On the first floor is Al Diwan, a Lebanese restaurant. This is a traditional order-off-the-menu establishment. The portions offered are huge. Appetizers are 8-12 riyals; entrees are 45 to 60 riyals. Service is attentive, the atmosphere relaxing and the food tremendous. The appetizers appear to be intended for four people - don't expect to finish if you're a lone diner.

The hotel also offers The Ranch, a steakhouse, and La Laguna - a beachside Mexican restaurant. I'll have to try these next time, if there is one.

Nightly rate for the room was 977 riyals, which is so far outside my normal budget I don't even want to think about it. In my estimation, the hotel is horrifically expensive and the prices at Al Tuwayah are, also. I have, however, absolutely no complaints about the accommodations or the service and, as mentioned before, I gained a kilo in a week, mostly due to the influence of Al Tuwayah, so I have little room to complain. If you labor under the illusion that you'll lose weight in a country without beer, stay away from the Intercontinental and find someplace with bad food. Oh. Right. Al Tuwayah offers a German-brewed, non-alcoholic beer.

The concierge service is excellent. Foreign currency exchange is available, and the hotel happily provided airport transportation to King Fahd International Airport in Dammam for 300 riyals, added to the hotel bill.

If you have a pile of money, I can heartily recommend this hotel. If you're on a budget, you might want to try the Sharq downtown (5th floor or above).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank McGoon

Dear Mcgoon

First of all, let me give you our sincerest gratitude in taking your time to write us about your compliments to our hotel. I hope we lived up to your understandings and expectations during your stay. It is always our privilege and pleasure to bring you our core purpose which is “Great Hotels Guest Love”. If there may have been any shortcoming or inconveniency from our side, kindly accept our apology.

In addition, I am hoping that you will give us another chance in the future to share with you again an exquisite, memorable and enjoyable stay here in Al Jubail. It is our priority to make your stay achieve the highest standard possible. With this at heart, we already started a refurbishment project where luxurious improvements and changes at our hotel will be executed this year, providing us with utilities and facilities to serve you with further dedicated quality. Our main purpose is to give you the best experience that we can possibly bring into life.

Once again, we want to thank you for your authentic appreciation.

We are looking forward to serving you again at the InterContinental Al Jubail.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I am a regular at this hotel, and I always feel special and welcome during my stays.
The hotel always tries to make your life easier and assists in sorting out your duties even if they were last minute.
I tried other hotels around but came rushing back, for i did not find the facilities i enjoy from reliable internet and a club lounge.
All in all i think it should be the number 1 option for any one planning on doing business in jubail industrial city.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Hussil

Once again, we want to thank you for your authentic appreciation.

We are looking forward to serving you again at the InterContinental Al Jubail.

Wael karim

Reviewed May 11, 2012

First, let me assure you that the vaunted Arab hospitality is in full force at the IC-Al Jubail. The staff is extremely pleasant, even if their English isn't quite up to snuff to help you out. But no matter, they will try until they get it right, and because of this, it's a good atmosphere.

Please understand that there is very, very much good with this hotel, but it is punctuated with an occasional OMG, that just shouldn't be found in a hotel in the IC group.

Coming into to the IC is a bit of surprise. Though I had motored from Bahrain and saw nothing that made me think that the Kingdom had terrorism concerns, when you get to the entrance of the IC, you get the feeling that you're on the front line of the DMZ in Korea. There entrance is heavily guarded and the road in is blocked by a huge and thick metal plate that raises and lowers into the ground to allow cars in. Before you may enter, the car is checked underneath and inside for car bombs. I suppose this is all necessary because the IC is an obvious foreigner's hangout, but it was the only place in the Kingdom where I felt concerned. Not that I wasn't safe, but that I was reminded that we were in a place where there could be troubles.

The lobby is spacious and well laid out with many comfortable areas for people to sit in relative privacy, yet in a public space. While there is wireless in the lobby, it comes at a rather steep price (as does everything else in the hotel).

The rooms are not terrible, but certainly not completely to IC standards. The room itself, architecturally, has a late 1980's feel about it. The furnishings are unremarkable, but the bed was pure heaven. I slept really really well, and the pillows were great. The AC was great, with the room welcoming me at a brisk 18C upon arrival.

Again showing their flair for hospitality, I was really thrilled, having arrived near midnight and not stopping to eat on the way from Bahrain, to see a fruit plate waiting for me - and a few Arabian sweets as well. Again, extremely welcoming.

There were many English language stations on the TV, and 8, yes count them 8, channels showing different soccer games (apparently 24/7). Again, you can tell the management is really trying.

As you can tell, there are many, many good things about the IC, but there are two that I find inappropriate for a good business hotel. First, the water supply to shower apparently is connected throughout the hotel, and when anyone flushes it changes temperature. I just hate this, and I know that somehow over the years, hotels have found a way to correct this. So when I stay in a hotel that still has this "feature", I find it objectionable.

Second, the internet, which is only by ethernet cables in the room, at best was spotty. Since this is my lifeline to my company's VPN, having it completely unavailable for long stretches was inappropriate. While even the temperature fluctuating shower is forgivable, this is one item that they must correct.

All in all, because of the remarkable staff, they raise what could be a three star experience to a four star experience. Since I will be coming back, I hope they take note and at least get the internet into a stable working order.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear GeborenGestern

Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your stay at our hotel. We note that, although, in general, you enjoyed your stay with us, you were not happy with the Shower quality and the internet, Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences you were caused in this regard.

In addition, I am hoping that you will give us another chance in the future to share with you again an exquisite, memorable and enjoyable stay here in Al Jubail. It is our priority to make your stay achieve the highest standard possible. With this at heart, we started already a refurbishment project where luxurious improvements and changes at our hotel will be executed this year, providing us with utilities and facilities including water pressure and internet speed to serve you with further dedicated quality. Our main purpose is to give you the best experience that we can possibly bring into life.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 1, 2012

It is the only hotel around Al Jubail. Therefore they can charge a very high price for that standard.
Breakfast is very good, they even have Nespresso cafe and prepare fresh ham and eggs.
The rooms are quite old, but the hotel is starting renovating them.
Also restaurants in the hotel are quite expansive.
The hotel has a nice beach with own bay, and towels are available at the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Al Jubail, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear langoli,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the location of our hotel as well as our breakfast options. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again. We are currently undergoing a soft refurbishment, and hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night & was fairly happy with all facilities. I normally stay at Karan or Coral Beach & would compare this hotel favourably with the other two.
The reception, grounds & restaurants were all high quality but the rooms were very dated & feel as though they have not been modified since the 60's. There is a renovation process underway so things will improve but I would have asked for a partial refund if I had been paying for the stay myself as the ongoing work created an ambience of staying on a construction site.
On the whole however I would choose to stay again as the room facilities (bed, choice of tv channels, refreshments etc) made up for the poor decor.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank AndyK7362

Dear AndyK7362,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the decor of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Believe it or not! Al Jubail does not have any 4-5 Stars hotel, except Intercontinental! The hotel is really very old, you can tell that from the furniture. However, it's very clean, the service is great, and their restaurants are perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We're all looking forward to completion of the current renovations. The current rooms, while comfortable/basic, definitely reflect their Holiday Inn circa 1960's-'70's heritage (especially the carpets). But the main lobby restaurant has a pretty good buffet, the Middle Eastern restaurant one floor down is sensational, and the Mexican restaurant is also unexpectedly solid. Staff are helpful, Internet & tv work. Bathrooms are okay, though towels are a bit tired & sketchy. While working in Jubail, I didn't expect any more than this, and you certainly don't need any more.

Room Tip: March/April 2012: ask for a room as far from the renovation work as possible.