“A dump - stay away”

Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Yekaterinburg
Australia
“A dump - stay away”
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Picked the Sverdlovsk merely because it was across the road from the train station, it was getting late and it was cold and snowing. I wish I had braved the weather and kept walking.
the lobby is very modern and stylish but looks are deceiving. The hotel advertises 3 rates - 1800 rubles, 2500 and finally 3500 rubles for a suite. I asked the difference between the first two and was told the 2500 ruble rooms had been renovated. they lied. The room was in a corridor that looked about 300 rooms long. The room was small with a very narrow rock-hard single bed with a hideous pink cover. The room was dirty and the bathroom tiles cracked and filthy. The plaster surrounding the windows was almost non existent. There was only tepid water in the shower - not good when it is -10 outside. I would recommend people stay away from this hotel ans spend the effort to get into town.

That said, some of the staff were exceptional. I walked back to the hotel because I had seen they had a train and air ticket desk but when I asked, they told me it had been closed down. I was asking whether there was anywhere else I could book (the train station itself was a nightmare - very confusing and absolutely packed with people) the young lass got a lady from the business centre who could speak english. When the lady worked out out what ticket I was after, she wrote it in cyrillic and got the young lass to take me to the train station and order the ticket for me. On with her coat, through the snow and across the road, standing in queue and ordered my ticket, back to the hotel where all the details written in english for me, all at no charge! Was greatly appreciated so I bought the young lass a single rose from the flower seller.

• Liked — Close to railway station
  • Disliked — Poor quality of rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We turned up to Ekaterinburg in need of a room at a sensible price, having stayed in Kazan and had a nice room for 2600 rubles thought 2900R was going to give us a reasonable room, big mistake not to check room before you pay. 7th floor was like a different world, I don't think these rooms had been decorated since the hotel was build in 1969, I would expect better for my dog in kennels.
I refused to stay, was offered a better room for 3500rubles which was better though not great.

How do they get away with charging so much for such a dump, is there a lack of hotels in this city.

In the UK( not the cheapest place for hotels) you can get a reasonable standard hotel for £50 or less, nothing special but you know it will be clean and well looked after.

Is this hotel a candidate for one of the worst hotels in the world?

• Liked — Nothing to recommend it
  • Disliked — The age and totally bad state of the rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank langarth

Travelers are raving about these Yekaterinburg hotels

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I know people like to knock hotels if they don't come up to expectations, but after reading reviews of this hotel i expected what i found, big hotel with lots of un-used rooms that were a tad shabby but never the less acceptable for me (someone who doesn't like to pay over the odds and see's the place as just a bed however rough).

BUT this occassion i felt i need to warn fellow travellers (esp people stopping on the trans-siberian route) that althought this place is just across from the station and is fine if your only staying a few days, just make sure you have booked all the days your are staying up front.

We had booked one night but needed to book a second and third. The first time we managed to get over the language barrier and extend the stay and extra night for a reasonable price (same we paid for the first night) however the time came and we decided to stay on a further night and were conned as the fee was twice as much as before. We were threaterned with being thrown out (i couldn't understand if we would be allow to return to our room and collect our bags first??) if we didn't pay. We eventually paid and were allowed back but i must warn you certain members of staff were conning us and i hate that. So please be warned - i'm not saying don't stay here i'm saying be careful as the lady we encountered got twice the price from us for one night!

• Liked — That is is 2min walk from the train station - thats about it!
  • Disliked — Corrupt staff (however not all just one or two!)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends