“Perfectly adequate”

Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Yekaterinburg
Sydney
“Perfectly adequate”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Part of the chain of hotels owned by the State. The one in Novosibirsk is called Congress Novosibirsk Hotel.

Perfectly adequate hotel, and having stayed at the one in Novosibirsk, it was the same experience - across the road from the train station, perfectly adequate rooms, water coolers on each floor.

The elevators are very small, and the lobby theme is that of a cruise ship. When I checked in, the reception staff looked like they came straight off the Love Boat. They even had nautical themed hats...

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Summary:

- Conveniently located if you're travelling by train.
- Aspires to western standards but falls short on all but the cosmetics.
- Good value? If you're luckier than me, it's reasonable value for anyone used to staying in mid-range hotels in western Europe; if you have an experience similar to mine, it might leave you feeling resentful at being fleeced - paying over the odds for a good night's sleep and getting none.

The long story:

If you're travelling by train, Marins Park is very convenient. It's right opposite the railway station but nevertheless not easy to get to if you have a heavy suitcase. Unless you want to take your life in your hands and try to cross a busy dual carriageway, there are quite a few steps into and out of the underpass before you negotiate various kerbs and bus lanes to get to the front door. Once there, it's an easy 15-20 minute walk into the centre of town.

The hotel looks like (and probably aspires to be) a mid to high range place by western standards. The reception area certainly looks that way and you'll probably find someone who speaks at least some English (but not any other languages apart from Russian - I had to deploy my schoolgirl French to assist a guest in his simple request to telephone his wife from reception) and the breakfast buffet was just about on a par with what I'd expect from most western European hotels charging a similar price (c.£70 / 82 Euros / US$112 for a single room). There's also a travel office where the person behind the desk was exceptionally helpful. She deserves special praise for her skills, efficiency and patience. The security staff were also very pleasant and welcoming.

However, there are severe shortcomings in standards re. both facilities and service. The water went off during the evening (probably not the hotel's fault) so I went to bed hoping that by morning the problem would be resolved. At about 2am I was woken by a gushing sound and found that murky brown water was pouring from a previously unnoticed pipe protruding from the bathroom wall. The force was such that I couldn't enter the bathroom to stop it, even if I'd known how to do so. I telephoned reception and they sent a chambermaid up to stop the flow. Another telephone call later, by the time she arrived the water had escaped the bathroom and was at least 5cm deep across the bedroom floor. I'm not sure what the chambermaid did but she somehow turned off the water and emerged soaking wet from the bathroom. She gesticulated a bit then sat down on my bed in her drenched state. She noticed my mobile 'phone which was charging on the bedside table, said "Ah, Samsung" and started playing with it. I subsequently found that she'd changed all the settings. I rang reception again to say that I needed to be transferred to another room and they told me that, although other rooms were free, they had not been cleaned since the departure of the last guest (presumably at noon the previous day) so could I please wait for an hour or so while they made one up. They suggested I sit in one of the "massage" chairs at the end of the corridor until my new room was ready.

Half an hour later I went along to my new room to find the chambermaid (now in dry clothes) fiddling around with the television controls so I returned to the end of the corridor to pace around the massage chair. About an hour later (by this time it was 4.30am) I was finally allowed to transfer my things to the new room and go to sleep, but not before some faffing around with keys so that I think I ended up with the chambermaid's master key to all the rooms on the floor.

When I checked out I asked whether there would be any compensation because of my experience and the receptionist said that she would check with her supervisor. The answer came back: no - I had already been given a 10% reduction at check-in but they could offer me a "VIP card" giving me a reduction on future bookings here and at their sister hotels in Nizhny Novgorod and Sochi. When I'd paid on arrival I hadn't realised the price I'd paid meant that I would have to take my chances on whether I'd have an acceptable room with everything in place for the chance of a good night's sleep.

Alas, I was too tired to argue.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is in a great location (oposite the rail station, 10 blocks from the main Church of the Spilled Blood) but the service is very poor. Besides, an ordinary taxi from the airport is about 14 dollars to go to Ekaterinburg downtown so the location loose attractive. The wifi is almost nonexistent, very difficult even to check emails. Forget about using the Internet. Rooms are small and very old, with very long corridors to go along. And the ladies who serves in the front desk are unbelievable slow to solve the simplest admin matter. The positive side: 1) as I said, a great location (with a McDonalds a few steps away and also a lovely ´kulinaria´ with very good, tasty and cheap food to eat there or take away), tramways and bus stops oposite the hotel. 2) The breakfast is very good and the lugagge deposit works wonderfully. (I left a bag for 10 days without any problem).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Yekaterinburg hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

As you will see in other comments, this hotel is under renovation and an old room may not be so comfortable.

I initially booked a standard single room and it was old and broken. I asked for a new and better room and the hotel reception arranged a business single, which was far better, cozy and clean.

This hotel has lots of goodies than bad. I believe the hotel is doing what they can do to make the place better and above all, the people there are so nice and friendly. The laundry service and the breakfast are free. The receptionists speak English and are cute. The location is right in front of the train terminal. Not far from the business center, state theater of opera and ballet, etc.

It is normal for people to smoke in a room in Russia. So a room may have the smell but it is out of the control of the hotel.

All in all, this is in Russia and you cannot ask for everything. For the price, this hotel is worth staying.

Room Tip: Ask for having a look at available rooms. Rooms at the 4th and 6th floors are already renovated. N...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dolceacqua, Italy
Reviewed May 30, 2013

located just outside the train station (if you arrive from Kazan) the reception all and breakfast look quite modern but the rooms are real Soviet style. Bathroom is very old, water pipes must be real rusty and the water that comes out for the shower is a little smelly. It is a huge hotel. Remember that if you catch the train to Tiumen, you must go to another train station (although you can buy the ticket from the one close by). Buffet breakfast was fine. If you arrive in the middle of the night you will be charged only half price (around 1.050 rubles). City center is about 15minutes by foot (but along the way there are churches to visit)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

At first about good things- free wi-fi in all hotel, really good early breakfast box on way, wellcome drink in loby. Thats all.
I made choice for this hotel just for location. I came early after overnight flight, and come back at 4 AM. Before arrival i am asked of early room availability for resting after trip. The response from hotel was- yes, all will be ok. When i am arrived, the room was dirty, in reception no one didnt knew person who wrote me a response... I am decided to take breakfast on rom preparing time. Next my shock about room! It looks like as in soviet time- very old furniture, noising refrigerator, old tv , but it was nothing - when i look in bathroom- oooooo that picture i didnt seen many years. Very very old shower cabin, toilet water must push carefull otherwise everything could be broken etc etc. Coming in reception and askin for an additional payment normal room, they even didnt reacted on my question, but my question was in russian!! Last shock was on departue day. Last night i am asked for preparing breakfast box, my boarding card was welcome printed out, and on my question about taxi was answer- its are in front if hotel, no problems, 450 rubles in morning in axi. In the morning!,, no taxi and reception girls with cold faces asked me - why i didnt booked?. Very warm question.... I am answered what they answered me last night....and then i asked for booking morning. But it wasnt available- phone was broken.... Staff was totally unhelpfull! I am runed to railwaystatin, but was late for the train, taxi asked 1000 rubles and looks like very dangerous. Then i runned back, i was in total stress. Then only after my 5 asks they asked phone from security guy and helped for taxi. Luckely i am agreed myself with one guest who come to airport. So!! I cannt even immagine what would be history if i didnt know russian!, dear guests- never dont take this hotel, this is very bad choice. Noisy!

Room Tip: Something terrible
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank IngaLatvia
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Huge part renovated hotel near the station. Excellent breakfast included, and wifi, and laundry too!!! A blessing when on the move a lot. Cheaper rooms basic and cold though, needing the refurbishment done in other parts of the hotel. Take a better room and you'll love it here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends