“Great location, Great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tsentralnaya Hotel
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Novosibirsk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location, Great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in July, it was really easy to find and the number 1122 bus runs from the airport to the main train station from really early in the morning, it is really cheap too. The hotel is about 15 mins walk along one single street from the train station. The location is really central and next to Lenin square where the theatre is. The staff were excellent and had enough English to help us with everything we needed. We booked the room through Select - a - room who also arranged our visa support, they were really efficient and helpful. I must admit I did not expect much from the hotel particularly for the price we paid but this hotel was perfectly adequate. We really laughed at the room! It was completely mis matched and old fashioned and the bathroom was like somehting out of the 60's but everything was clean and tidy and the beds were comfortable. Try to think of this hotel as a basic, clean and friendly hostel with private rooms and bathroom. If you are expecting 5 star accomodation then you might be better to stay elsewhere but if you want somewhere comfortable, clean, friendly and central and don't mind basic and mis matched decor then you will be just fine here. The only negative thing I can say is that the breakfast should be avoided, we made our way to the canteen one morning and saw the not so pleasant food lined up in the cabinet and left! There are a couple of supermarkets nearby that sell really nice pastries. We loved Siberia and staying in this amusing hotel just added to the experience of being out in the wilds.
The local studies museum was excellent as was the zoo, st nicholas chapel and the state opera and ballet theatre. I wish we had an extra couple of days there so that we could arranged a trip out to the mountains - maybe next time...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank ElsieFEdinburgh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
Santa Maria, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

I booked a room at the Tsentralnaya for 10 nights (late April-early May) through a travel agency in the U.S. that specializes in travel to and from Russia. I booked the room about 4 months in advance, and it ran me about $150/night. Yes, you read that correctly. And this was the least expensive option I had for my 10 nights in Novosibirsk...
First of all, the positives. The location of this hotel is excellent and probably the best for all around ease of access to most of Novosibirsk. It is one block to the Ballet/Opera house, and about the same distance to a central Metro stop. There are pharmacies and grocery stores within two short blocks, and restaurants all around. All this was good...
The negatives...well, there were many. First of all, throw out any preconceived western notions of customer service. Had I not had a native Russkie with me I may not have ever gotten a room. Of the four women sitting at the reception desk, none spoke english (I speak very little Russian). My friend gave one of the clerks my pre-paid reservation information, and the clerk could find no record of my reservation. There is no computer, it was apparently a manual, paper system. I was advised to take a seat, this might be awhile.
After about 15 minutes of sitting and waiting, a room materialized and we proceeded to the fourth floor, facing Lenin Street. It was basically a two room set-up, with a small living area with sofa, chair, phone and t.v., then a separate bedroom with a bed, a dresser, and two night stands. I wish I had taken photos, but suffice it to say the room decor was cobbled together in the best Russian style from what appeared to be garage sale artifacts from the 1960's. The floor was old linoleum, a few throw rugs thrown over it. The furniture came from different garage sales. The bathroom was unlike anything I have ever seen, and with any luck won't see one like it again. There is a bathtub that shares a water faucet with the adjacent sink. An attached hand held shower head can be used by turning a valve on the faucet. There is no shower curtain, though, so when you take a shower you pretty much spray anything else that is in the immediate area of the bathroom.
The toilet plugged on my first attempt, and so the plunger (already sitting by the toilet) came in handy over the 10 days I stayed here.
I wouldn't say the room was filthy, but I am not very picky. For me it was clean enough, but it certainly wasn't up to Motel 6 standards.
The heating system was an old radiator by the window, but I never had the occasion to use it because it never got cold enough while I was in Novosibirsk. In fact, on a couple of occasions the weather was warm enough to open a window, which took a little doing because it is a very old building with warped wood frame windows. Finally got the windows open enough to air out the room.
I probably wouldn't have noticed (or wouldn't have cared) about any of this if I had only been in town for a day or two, but over 10 days I really began to question my decision to stay at this hotel. I think back to when I booked the room, and thought that by saving $25/night over the next most economical choice (the Sibir) I wouldn't really notice the lesser quality room. I was wrong.
The worst part of the stay, though, was the noise. Not from inside the hotel, but from Lenin Street. It is a major thoroughfare, and road noise/traffic was evident all night, every night. Even with the ancient windows closed it sounded like people were gunning their cars in the next room.
The housekeeping arrangement was interesting. Apparently, there is a maid that is in residence on each floor. She also takes in laundry, if you need anything cleaned, and she charges western rates, I don't remember the individual rates, but it cost me about $20 for a few pair of pants and a couple of shirts. Laundered and folded.
I needed a wake up call on my departure date and so I had my friend inquire at the desk, and they referred me back up to the resident maid. They suggested that I knock on her door, and ask her to set her alarm to wake me up in the morning. I didn't really want to risk missing my flight so I relied on my travel alarm clock and my watch alarm, and fortunately that worked out alright.
The strange practice of turning in the key and my registration papers each time I left the building took a little bit of getting used to, but that wasn't so bad. I guess that is how they keep an eye on who is coming and going.
Again, this was the cheapest option for me on this trip according to the travel agent that I used, and I did a little looking around on my own and didn't really see anything better for less. But if I had it to do over again, I would pony up the extra $25 a night and try something else.
The location of this hotel is primo....but....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sloopiek

Travelers are raving about these Novosibirsk hotels