“They treated me more like family than a guest, at a great price!”
Review of Aurora Hotel

Aurora Hotel
Ranked #19 of 95 Novosibirsk B&B and Inns
Virginia
“They treated me more like family than a guest, at a great price!”
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I've never stayed in a hotel with such great, friendly service. I was amazed.

First, let me say I was a little concerned about booking this hotel, because they do not really cater to international tourists, and you cannot book them through the internet, or a travel agent. But, my friend in Novosibirsk had recommended this hotel, and said it was new (as of April 2009). After no one could book it for me, I ended up just emailing the hotel administrator from their website (www.avrora-hotel.ru). (The website is in russian, but you can translate it if you do a google search for the website, and then use google to translate.) One of the administrators speaks some english, and she informed me I could have a room. They do not give confirmation numbers, just an email confirmation. Payment was due in Rubles upon arrival. I was a little hesitant about this, but agreed...and I have no regrets at all.

Why I wanted to stay here: I paid 1800 rubles (about $60) per night for a suite room that has very ample space, comfortable beds, and modern furnishings. All of the other hotels wanted around $150 per night or more for a basic room. I ended up saving about $1000 for my trip by staying in this hotel, and had a better room. The room came with breakfast, which was very good. Lunch and dinner was available at a small cost...about 250 rubles each. I got a complimentary 1 liter bottle of water each day with my room...which I didn't expect. And I really enjoyed the staff, even though only one person spoke english (I don't speak any Russian). The staff went out of their way to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.

The down side to this hotel is the location. It is outside of the main part of the city. Do not expect scenic views. However, the trolley stop was a short walk away, and from there I could reach anywhere in the city I wanted using the public transportation. I would recommend taking a taxi back to the hotel if you return at night, as the streets have little to no lighting.

This hotel is set up mainly to receive Russian speaking people, not American tourists. But, they will do their best to accomodate you. Staying in this hotel allowed me to get a better feel for Novosibirsk and its people than I could get in a tourist hotel. It met my needs plus some, and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo