“Surprisingly good amenities”

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Novosibirsk
Wichita, Kansas
“Surprisingly good amenities”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We visited Novosibirsk in June and accommodations were made for us by friends. The hotel is in an excellent location on the bank of the River Ob. Our room overlooked the river, but there is another building going up adjacent to the hotel which blocks the view if you are on a lower floor. There is an excellent ironing room offering three stations and is manned by one of the staff; there is also a weight room on another floor. The dinner menu was not really anything to crow about and meals are very expensive. The breakfast, on the other hand, was included in the price and offered a wide selection of items from a smorgasbord to cooked foods. The beds are basic . Our last morning there the water in the bathrooms stopped working. I never did find out the problem as we had an early flight out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisandun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

On driving up towards the entrance sweeping drive and door man what a surprise. Efficient and quick check in and a very good room overlooking the river. Mini bar unlocked within 5 mins of arriving in the hotel.
Food standards are excellent

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Ray F
Bangalore
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The Hotel is in a very nice location.It's just on the banks of a river.When i had been there the whole river was frozen.I was pleasantly shocked to see such a large river frozen fully.The lighting in the snow and preperations for X'Mas was in progress during my stay.Had a nice appearance.The breakfast which was complimentary was good.I had choice variety,different menu's everyday.But the room was quite small and the bed was just big enough for me to sleep.Don't expect a large bed.It wasn't worth the money in terms of room space and comfort.The first day i was sweating inside the room when the outside temperature was nearly -25 to -30 degree centigrade.Then the room heating system was adjusted to my comfort.To be frank i did not experience a pleasnt temperature inside the room throughout my stay.But otherwise it is a good place to be.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Srideve
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Novosibirsk is a long way from Moscow. I was there for 4 nights, 3 of them at the River Park Hotel.

The rooms are basic but the heavy, dark wood trim makes them feel solid. I think the windows were the first I had encountered in 10 trips to Russia that had screens. And you need them, there is a nasty biting fly that inhabits the shore of the Ob river.

The exterior of the hotel and some surrounding buildings have the look of Soviet ruins. The adjacent building was actually abandoned. But the interior is ok. On I think it was the 7th floor they had a business center with internet access for a fee. It was over staffed with ladies who reminded me of the nosy floor watching key masters of the Brezhnev era. And the 5th floor at night seemed to be hooker central.

The real value of the place, however is the il Faro restaurant on the ground floor. In my experience hotel restaurants generally suck. The food generally does not justify the prices, the hours are wrong, and the service is indifferent. There are exceptions but mostly at the high end with prices and attitude to match.

The il Faro had great hours with the full menu available until the kitchen closed at 11 p.m. The decor was interesting with paintings rotating on flat screens. The menu was good with a mix of Russian and continental dishes.

When they shut down the kitchen at 11 then start rolling out the beginnings of the fabulous breakfast buffet that features Russian style fish as well as standard western breakfast items. And the quality is well above the dried out eggs featured at many hotel buffets.

I checked around and didn't find anything that came close to the River Park in terms of overall quality.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
6 Thank lawnshadow
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Beautiful reception, but rooms are not very good - the one's we stay at... Awesome breakfasts, yummy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 6, 2008

My son and I travelled to Novosibirsk to view the 1 August 2008 total solar eclipse. I've travelled a lot in Russia, but never to Novosibirsk. I've stayed in enough Russian hotels to know that while many can be very, very good if you have the bad luck to get booked into a bad hotel it can be truly awful (see my review of the Domodedovo airport hotel).

The reviews for this hotel, which apparently is also known as the Ob hotel, seemed truly dreadful on the various travel sites but it was the only hotel we could get given the influx of visitors for the eclipse. I gritted my teeth and asked colleagues in Russia to book it for me, as I could find no convenient way I trusted to book it from the West. My colleagues prepaid our stay for three days and two nights through a Russian travel organization.

On the way to Novosibirsk we made stops in London, Paris, Istanbul and Moscow and planned to continue onward through Qatar, Bangkok and Toyko, staying in three and four star hotels. The entire trip up to Novosibirsk I cautioned my son that we were booked into what was said to be the world's worst hotel for stay in Novosibirsk, but that we should just "man up" and take it for the adventure it might be. We talked about buying kitchen knives for personal defense and blocking doors with chairs overnight should it appear to be an unsafe place on arrival.

Imagine our surprise when on arrival after a red-eye flight from Moscow, truly in need of comfort and fearing misery, we pulled up to a newly-renovated hotel with a bright, elegant modern marble, glass and stainless steel lobby. We checked in effortlessly and were shown to our rooms, which were newly-renovated to a three star Russian standard, perfectly OK and comfortable with great views.

What was more surprising was that the breakfast buffet (we had arrived early enough to sample it even on the first day) was the best of our trip so far, with an omlette chef and outstanding array of elite food choices. As my son and I were helping ourselves to custom omlettes and fresh smoked salmon, we were kidding each other about the dread we had worked up for the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and cordial. However, in all fairness I speak perfect Russian and so I tend to get very friendly treatment by staff who are used to foreign visitors who do not speak their language. As she did for all the guests, the cleaning lady brought by special dark plastic glasses for viewing the eclipse that the hotel had procured. The staff cleaned diligently and tended to any needs with fresh towels and linens.

The only negative thing about the room was that the air conditioner (of awesome strength) leaked condensate water onto the rug in part of the room. The cleaning lady wanted to get this fixed for me, but I told her I was so tired I did not want anyone coming to repair it and that they should deal with it after I left. It was no big deal to me but I was very tired and wanted no visitors.

The location of the hotel is down by the river Ob near the pedestrian walkway along the riverbank through the usual Russian mix of industrial debris, small kiosks, outdoor food and beer vendors and other summer attractions that often line river banks in major cities in Russia. After a few hundred meters it becomes more pleasant and green as one walks closer to the city center.

One downside in the summer to this hotel is that one of the outdoor cafes is about 100 meters from the hotel and it features loud music late into the night. Bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper, as I am. Heavier sleepers might not notice with the air conditioning on if the room is on a higher floor.

For transport, we used drivers booked by the hotel, which they arranged with total reliability. We also took the metro on occasion and once walked from the nearest metro stop back to the hotel, which took about ten minutes. I felt perfectly safe during the day but would not recommend long walks at night through the industrial zone adjacent to the hotel.

I don't know if the River Park Ob was making a special effort for the many eclipse visitors in matters such as the breakfast buffet. I suppose they were, but no matter what I was grateful that what I expected to be the worst hotel in the world turned out to have been a perfectly good hotel with the best breakfast buffet of our trip to that point. I also appreciated the accuracy of the staff, the reliability of car bookings.

The eclipse, by the way, was perfect. Truly astonishing. We were worried there would be rain and clouds but these parted in time for a clear blue sky for the eclipse.

Novosibirsk is a surprisingly charming city with a wonderful zoo. My son and I visited the zoo expecting some Soviet-era concentration camp for emaciated animals. Instead we found that it is located in a beautiful park with animals lovingly tended by a zoo staff that had evident affection for them, constantly sweeping around the enclosures, building a new polar bear center, feeding and tending the animals. They have rare white tigers and also the very large Siberian tigers.

We saw a zoo attendent sweeping up just outside the bars of the lion cage when the lion came up to the attendent and leaned his side against the cage in what was obviously a routine gesture, and the zoo attendent reached in through the bars to scratch the lion on his back for a while, finally saying "OK, that's enough for now," and pushing the lion off. A great place.

• Liked — Clean, safe, comfortable, good WiFi internet
  • Disliked — dripping air conditioner, expensive for what you get
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DimitriDonskoi