Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Best, Rewarding, Customized experience!

Embarked on a trip from 28/2 to 3/3 with Baikal Explorer, would greatly commend them on their value... read more

Reviewed March 7, 2020
daniel3448
Singapore
One of the most awesome experiences of my life

Initially i wanted to see the lake baikal and then go back to irkutsk. Then i came across this... read more

Reviewed February 9, 2020
traveler052018
Celle, Germany

Recommended experiences in and around Irkutsk
from $96.42
from $100.56
from $135.39
More Info
All reviews lake baikal olkhon island visiting russia dog sledding budget tour army jeep soup private tour accommodation company driver khuzhir communication highlights parts alexander
Selected filters
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

We wanted to see the lake in the winter, and weren’t disappointed. The drive and walk on the frozen Baikal, in the northern area of the Olkhon island was one of the most wonderful experiences we have had in our lives. Leonid, the manager, was very helpful when we organized the trip. Accommodation and food were fine, in the circumstances (Khuzhir is not Paris, you know), transportation worked reasonably well on the difficult roads inside the island, and our guide, Alëna, did a fair job, though a bit scarce sometimes. I will recommend this organization to my friends for visiting Baikal.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank 84ignaciog
Reviewed March 8, 2018

There seems to be an unlimited choice of tours and options when it comes to visiting Lake Baikal and Olkhon Island.

Leonid was exceptionally helpful and informative before my visit and Alona was a wonderful and very patient guide-apart from pointing out good photo opportunities, she indulged my fellow traveller and me in stopping when and wherever we asked.

Very good accommodation in Olkhon [Khuzhir] itsel and a great-and better than any of the alternatives as far as I could see]-tour of the island and the lake.

We had sunset on Day 1, a whole day on Day 2, sunrise and wrap up on Day 3.

And a great trip under the care of the unflappable Aleksandr who took us to the parts the other tours cannot reach and who also cooked a superb fish soup for lunch.

Not only that, but they found my missing phone charger and delivered it to my hotel.

Nobody does it better!!

2  Thank feckerdoc
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

We contacted Leonid in late December 2017 as we were planning to travel to the Baikal in mid Feb 2018. He was extremely helpful and answered all our queries very patiently.

We had requested Leonid to arrange for our tickets on the Trans Siberian Train and he remembered our request of vegetarian food while making the booking. We greatly appreciated that he remembered small details like this and took care of them.

Our trip to the frozen Baikal was the highlight of our trip to Russia and Baikal Explorer made it possible. The accommodation, food and experience was phenomenal. Our guide Maxim was at the station earlier than the agreed time (which translated to a shorter waiting time for us).

He was full of interesting anecdotes and ensured our trip was truly memorable. He also took us to the local market and gave us the list of “must-buy” items (cedar nuts, herbs for tea, delish local cookies) all of which were really good.

The trip to Listvyanka was also great. Alena was another lovely guide who accompanied us when we went shopping and ensured we had a fabulous time.

Baikal Explorer are very professional. We started everyday’s programme in time without any delays. I hope to come back to the lake in Summer and will definitely contact Baikal Explorer.

2  Thank renuka_g54
Reviewed February 12, 2018

Back in July 2017, my husband and I, we decided to have a private tour to Lake Baikal in winter and through Tripadvisor, we found Baikal Explorer. We started to correspond with Leonid and on 3rd of February 2018, we finally started our trip which was "legendary"!!!

Leonid was very helpful with all the planning. We wanted something different than the standard program and he managed to include all our requests. It all went flawlessly. We did not have to worry about anything. Our trip started at Irkutsk, then we stayed 2 nights at Litsvyanka and then 2 nights at Olkhon Island and then got back to Irkutsk again. Both our guides (Anya and Alena) were lovely people, very punctual about timing, very knowledgeable, with very good English. I'm a photo enthousiast and they were eager to stop anytime on the road so that I could take pictures.

Without Baikal Explorer organization, we could not have had such a flawless, wonderful trip, we are really very grateful. In case you ever plan to come to this part of the wolrd, I wholeheartedly recommend Leonid and his team.

3  Thank TubaKoseogluOkcu
Reviewed January 26, 2018 via mobile

I can not recommend this enough!
It has been a bucket list item for me for years,and as with all bucket list items you get worried that they won’t live up to expectations....well this exceeded them!
I did the whole day sledding trip with lunch,and highly recommended it to anybody.
It entailed a couple of hours sledding initially,and then lunch with a wonderfully warm and hospitable family(inside which gave the toes a chance to thaw out),and then about 3 more hours sledding up into the forest.
After about the first hour you get to be the musher(thou thankfully the real pro stays with you,as I just think I would have confused the dogs with my basic Russian!)
As much as the trip itself was beautiful thou the real stars are the dogs!...it seriously isn’t work to them,but fun!
If this even slightly tempts you the DO it...you will not be disappointed.
Oh and the whole team you deal with speak great English

Date of experience: January 2018