“Excellent”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2013

A real Tatar cousine, charming atmosphere, magnificent architecture inside, service is extra-ordinary.

You will be surprised with the variety of food. You will not want to leave the restaurant.

Very speacial place for special moments.

1  Thank Cemall

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Considering that my experience with service and food in DTK was mixed, I can't rate it higher than average, even though few things here were exceprtionally good.

As I walked along Baumana Street, I didn’t notice a single person entering Dom Tatarskoj Kulinarii (DTK). Its posh large building looked like a governmental office – too solemn and pretentious to be welcoming, at least from the outside.

DTK is large, which makes it good for banquets. But it was fine and comfortable for me as a solo eater, too.

It has two halls on the first floor – light and airy smoking hall, overlooking Baumana Street, and dim non-smoking room, with one window to the courtyard. The hall on the second floor has a balcony overlooking Baumana Street.

Compared to Dom Chaya (cheap Tatar canteen opposite DTK) the contrast was substantial. Nice interior, comfortable sofas, rich extensive menu – everything in DTK was suitable for long relaxed dinner. I loved the atmosphere very much.

After the nice receptionist showed me my table, no one approached me for a long time. If I weren’t exhausted, I would have left! But ever since I made an order, the waitress became very attentive. Even though the servings didn’t arrive fast, she filled in the gaps with letting know how long it would take.

I started with Tatar noodles soup (ca US$ 11), which was delicious, but seemed somewhat overpriced. Sadly, they didn’t have a rabbit leg I was willing to try, so I opted for a lamb fillet with white mushrooms risotto (ca US$ 38). Risotto was good, while lamb rather okay, not the most tender I’ve ever tried. Chak-chak (dough noodles in honey) (US$8) that I had for the dessert was the best I tried in Kazan – in four restaurants and Bahetle Tatar home-food supermarket.

Selection of drinks was okay but not too extensive. Wines available by glass didn’t inspire me, so I opted for Mojito (US$12), and was surprised to discover it contained… Martini instead of rum. Freshly squeezed orange juice (US$6) and espresso coffee (US$3) were delicious and with no surprises.

I found DTK a polar extreme to Dom Chaya (please, see my separate review). A wonderful place for a special occasion, if you know what to order, have plenty of time for its awfully slow service and are ready to pay more than elsewhere in Kazan.

3  Thank Cora_v
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The food is delicious, though pretty expensive for Kazan (2300 rub - about 75 USD - for a dinner for two persons, including two beers). The service is a little basic, not of the high level - you will have to wait. From the other side, to be fair, it was told that we should wait for 50 minutes for our food, and we got it in 49 minutes:)

2  Thank Leronich
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The worst service i have ever had, every one eating separately. Food was correct, but completely disconnected from prices. I live in moscow, have an experience of often poor service in Russia, but that one was really bad.

1  Thank ThomMoscow
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Although place called ‘house of Tatar kitchen’ strangely enough you see European selection of food. To our surprise we discovered that they have completely different menu, only in Tatar language. We manage to order but what the point?
Interiors are good, but food is hmm… normal, not perfect. Menu price seemed to be above average.

1  Thank Mark S