“Dont believe the hype”

Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Was ther October 2013. Only thing I can say is its a nice setting. Other than that stay away. I chose Idiot for its review on Trip Ad. But it did not live up to reputation. Food was poor and quite bland. There are far better restaurants Teplo over the bridge and right around the corner towards St Isaacs was probably the best meal and setting in St Petersburg. But you will have to book a table cause its very popular. That tells you were you should go for a great meal when its so busy.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We thought this restaurant was cosy, friendly and good value. The food was great and the atmosphere just lovely. It is flagged as a vegetarian restaurant but in fact serves some meat dishes and lots of fish dishes. If you are in St Petersburg don't miss it; it good for just drinks as there are some comfy sofas too. Only downside is that, like many Russian restaurants, is that there is a tucked away smoking dining area. I haven't been asked 'smoking or non smoking for many years!

1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We very much enjoyed our meal at this restaurant. I ordered the "cheese envelope" which melted in my mouth. All three of us agreed that was the best choice but each of us enjoyed what we ordered. We thought it was not expensive at all. Now that I am home I am sorry I didn't buy the t-shirt.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stumbled on it. On the way to the ballet. Just wanted something tasty, not too heavy and a good atmosphere. The Idiot delivered! Had a delicious salad with crab and herring. Service was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This cafe has a great cosy atmosphere. From its comfy lounges and well stocked bookshelves with historical objects it makes you feel that Gorky may have disussed politics here. The food is wsrm and filling. The herring sushi is a nice suprise.

1  Thank LaverdaRobert