“amazing place!”

Ranked #346 of 11,086 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The wrong place where you can meet funny characters, and always something goes wrong. And here is a family obsession that can cause dependency and addiction. It is not recommended to visit snobs, pedants, lovers of brands fans trend and other people with fine mental organization.
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Really cute and cosy restaurant with great food for a perfect price! they make you feel at home there, music is nice too. the shef Anibal is a really cool mexican cook! drinks are huge!!!
enjoy!

Reviewed September 14, 2010

I have seen this restaurant for a while, on walks but never bothered to go in. Usually there were a few tables used but in a city of thousands of cafes and restaurants it seems pretty ordinary from the peeks inside the below ground level location. Recently the crowds had become larger so something must have changed. I found out the only real change apparently was the Trip Advisor ranking of #5.
After reading so many recent rave reviews, ranking this cafe as #5 in the city beating out such world class restaurants as the Old Customs House, I figured I would drop in with a date, who had never had Mexican cuisine before.
It is small, and due to the Trip Advisor rating, filled all 12 tables(if you count the narrow two place tables that are normally pushed together to form 4 or 6 place tables) and pleasant enough of modest decor. The attention was somewhat overbearing, as we scanned the menu and I was explaining the dishes to my friend, even after telling her twice that we would notify her when we were ready to order, the waitress stood staring at us, not offering help or leaving, just staring. My friend asked if we were not dressed appropriately as to warrant such stares. The only question I asked, since Margaritas were featured, whether they were Russian Margarita or real ones. If you have not tried them you will find that no bar, restaurant or cafe makes a drinkable Margarita in St Petersburg. They all have bartender's guides yet make them with lemon juice, and sugar(recently we found that the lobby pub in Sokos Hotel actually made a good blended Margarita, after 10 years of searching). The bar tender came over to assure us that they made the best. I ordered one before the meal and both the waitress and bartender come over to get my approval that he was right. It was terrible, it did have lime, and salt, bitter tequila and that is all, no orange liqueur, sour mash etc. There seemed to be disappointment when I indicated I would not order another, and did not finish the first.
The menu is extensive, with names indicating the kitchen knew a little about Mexican food traditions. I ordered a warm beef salad, and going by the description, the burrito.
The salad was decent, noting unusual, just rather bland, but nicely plated. The burrito cam as 3 Enchiladas. A burrito is a common dish from the far north of Mexico originating in the state of Chihuahua. It is hard to mess it up since it is a staple of Northern cooking. These were not burritos. OK, but were they good Enchilada's? Well, whatever they were they were very bland, with none of the spices that would have suggested the national cuisine. There were 3 thin slices of Jalapeño pepper laid on top, My friend asked me if this was it, the full flavored rich tradition of Mexican food. She did not care for hot or spicy food but to her, what was presented was plain boring. Maybe the chef had decided that Russians do not like spices or hot food, a common belief from 10-15 years ago but it has become a passion for many, and many restaurants now have Tabasco Sauce as a table condiment.
On the plus side, the basic ingredients were fresh tasting. The service was reasonably friendly, only one girl apparently spoken English so when she left the tourists who filled the place were left to fend for themselves. Overall, it is a decent little cafe, not a top ranked restaurant.
Conchita Bonita is not a bad place, it just came with high expectations based on the Trip Advisor ranking and it most certainly did not live up to top 50 place let alone #5.
The city has a culinary tradition that visitors seldom see, they seek out "real Russian food". There are not many Russian cuisine restaurants, the city was built with a European bias and the first restaurants were French and Italian. There are 550 Japanese restaurants in the city center. There are several hundred English style pubs with good food, the better restaurants do not cater to tourists, don't advertise in tourist guidebooks or post fake reviews on forums but without a doubt there is fine dining, high quality food, service and creativity. The number of member establishments in the very active Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Bailliage is a good indicator of the importance of quality food in this city.
My rating is based on comparison to other small cafes, not better restaurants, a group in which Conchita Bonita does not belong so should not suffer from that competition.

2  Thank stanj
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Great mexican food selections as well as drinks - large tequila selection! and wonderful friendly staff. Across from the Nord hostel's quiter branch it seesm to get - and much enjoy- a very international clientel!

Reviewed July 10, 2010

I visited this restaurant recently with a friend. We are both in our 50s while the staff are much younger and reviews suggest that this is a place for younger diners - not so! We were made extremely welcome and all aspects of the menu were explained. We even had a guided tour of the Tequilas stocked by the restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious with very delicate shrimp quesadillas to start followed by delicious fajitas. The beef for the fajitas was succulent, the peppers succulent, and the side dishes fantastic. They also had the best guacamole for their 'chips and dips' that I have every tasted. This restaurant is unprepossessing from the outside and tricky to find, but worth it. I must also mention Ivan, who is one of the friendliest serving staff I have ever met!

Reviewed April 10, 2010

Thanks to Trip Advisor, we sought out this little Mexican restaurant. Our teenagers loved it and we all loved the food. It's a very small restaurant, but is all smoking (which can be a bit overpowering). We went there twice and on each occasion there were different staff on. Olga (on our 1st night) and Helena (on our 2nd) both came over with the Mexican/Russian menu and offered to help us choose by explaining the menu, as they didn't have an English menu. Food was scrumptious. My son ordered cider and we were informed that it only came in big bottles (we presumed a pint) but a bottle of apple 'bubbly' was brought out and poured with some aplomb by the bar man! €12.50 a bottle! Food is very reasonably priced.

2  Thank KarenRua