“Under renovation so expect great new product by mid 2014”

AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg
Ranked #73 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This former Sovietsy hotel with over 1000 rooms had now 7 floors of the new Azimut 'smart rooms' that offer a mid scale style room at an affordable price. The hotel is under extensive renovation so until May 2014 access is somewhat restricted. Expect it to have excellent group and meeting facilities by this summer. Their new Sky Bar is now open on 18th floor offering great city views

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank djenk_moscow
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am writing to inform you that this summer the hotel completed its renovations and it’s a vastly different product waiting for you to return and experience. The new design is modern, fresh and stylish, the whole ground floor is completely new and very welcoming and comfortable for all guests. We opened the Level 2 Conference Center in July and this is another great addition to the services we can provide to our guests.

I am not sure if you have been back to the hotel but I do hope in the not too distant future we can welcome you back to our hotel.

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Awful. My friend & travelling companion who is Russian, tried to make light of how terrible it was by saying our trip wouldn’t have been complete without such an authentic communist era experience.

Some background - we were in Moscow, but decided to do a last minute trip to St Petersburg for the “white nights” phenomena (pretty magical). Almost all other hotels & apartment rentals in our price range were fully booked. So we stayed here.

This hotel is stiflingly hot. I have never before complained about being hot - I can sleep in a tropical environment without AC. This building locks in the heat & has no air flow. There is an AC, but it blows hot air. Windows partially open. I was advised that buildings there are designed to lock in the heat since the winters can get so cold. All hotel guests were miserable. I was waking up at 5 am for cold showers every 30 min just to cool down. Literally. Other than that, the rooms were ok for a budget hotel. They were pretty clean, though the hallways were not - even the water cooler was coated in dirt (as in dropped in mud & never cleaned off).

Check-in is a cruel joke & takes hours (approx. 2 hours AFTER the check-in time) & hotel management doesn’t care. There was only 1 person qualified to check people in, 1 trainee & 1 whose sole job it was to refill the fridge with water bottles, but not hand them out. If you expect any sort of service, do not stay here. Checkout wasn't as painful, but not smooth.

Location is pretty far from the center of things, about a 30 min walk. I would advise against the location.

If you like being treated as prisoner with guards instead of staff, this is your place. The only positives are that this place is cheap, room is decent & includes buffet breakfast (but think powder eggs). You get what you pay for. If you have other options, choose them.

I will admit this place may not be so terrible if it was a different time of the year (cooler, less crowded), but I personally wouldn’t risk it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank roberta_nyc
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Adviser about your stay last June during the very hot summer. I started (as General Manager) at the hotel in June and I certainly understood your comments and you were correct the rooms would have been very hot, air conditioning did not exist then. However, I am pleased to inform you that we have just completed the installation of air conditioning in our 322 newly renovated SMART rooms (which I believe you stayed in) here in the hotel and this problem will not exist in in 2014. Also we are installing new air conditioning and ventilation systems in all the public areas of the hotel (Level 1 and 2) and this will make a huge difference plus the newly designed Front Desk/ Reception will be revolutionary - all ready on 1st May 2014.

Your experience at check-in was unacceptable (and for any guest always makes a poor expression on anyone's stay) but I am pleased to write that we have been very focused on improving our service at the Front Desk. I am very pleased the changes as I have been working hard with my management team and staff to create a very positive experience for our guests where guests know we do care. On a positive note I am glad to read that you enjoyed breakfast and we have been working on constantly developing our breakfast concept as this is so important for all guests. There is many other changes in regards to reconstruction, modernization and service.

I can only apologize and assure that the hotel is changing and we are well on the way to ensuring that the hotel is positioned as an international mid market hotel supported by a strong management team under my direction. Naturally, I would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us if indeed you were returning to St Petersburg again. I can always be contacted via email. cotter@azimuthotels.com

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We arrived almost around midnight and was so ready to crash, luckily the check-in went by very quickly (and so did the check-out). Our room was teeny tiny, but stylish and very clean nonetheless! We had a twin room and the beds and pillows were very comfy and seems rather new (especially compared to our hotel in Moscow). The bathroom only has a shower (no tub), both hot and cold water ran well. If possible, I'd avoid the breakfast as the food was just so-so and on our last day there (a Saturday) we had to wait for almost an hour just to get a table.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Adviser and I was pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable, you stayed in one of our 322 newly renovated SMART rooms. Your comment about breakfast was indeed correct and was well noted. Since your stay in October, we have greatly improved the selection of items on the breakfast buffet, I knew this was a problem and we have been working on it.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

it is situated very far to nevsky prospect. room is bad. with this money you can choose better hotels close to center. breakfast is good. there is no metro to the hotel area. closest station is 20-30 minutes walk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank mehmet ali t
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I didn't expect much after having read several of the reviews on TripAdvisor, but Azimut Hotel surprised me in a positive way.
Yes, I have been to more luxurious hotels in my life, but they were situated in other parts of the world, where conditions are different.
For a russian hotel Azimut ain't all that bad.
My room (on the 5th floor) was spacious (I admit that my travelmates had smaller rooms) and very clean. However, like in all russian hotels, I have been to; it was very warm, and the only way to regulate the heat is by opening the window (much traffic outside) or leave the aircon on - which didn't work all that well, but well enough to cause me a cold.
Bed and pillow was very good. Nice bathroom, not big, but modern.
Staff was friendly, check-in was fairly fast. So was check-out.
Bad Things:
1. The pièce de résistance, the rooftop bar, was closed due to renovation. I had been looking forward to that view!
2. The breakfast buffet is a regular nightmare in the weekend! Not that the food is that bad (just mediocre), but there are SO many weekendguest, and unless you turn up the minute the buffet opens (07.30), you'll be in line for 30-45 minutes just to get in. The you'll stand in line for the cold buffet, then the hot buffet, then the coffee, then juice......my God!)
3. Azimut is far from the center,. We walked home one day, and I'll only recommend that to good Walkers. I guess there is about 4 kilometers or even more. There is a metrostation about 1 kilometer away from the hotel (metro is easy to use) and there are busses, which I never really tried.

Room Tip: My room was facing traffic and big buildnings, where as the rooms on the other side had a great view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mettegrith
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

I know you wrote on Trip Advisor and reviewed our hotel last year but I thought it prudent to write and introduce myself as Charles Otter – General Manager and started over a year ago her at the hotel. It was great to read that we exceeded your expectations for your the first time you stayed at the hotel. I would like to let you know that the hotel has considerably evolved since your list visit complete renovation of all public areas. The room you stayed in one was one our new SMART rooms and now they are complete with a new ventilation and air conditioning system bring a greater level of comfort that was not there last year for all our guests.

We opened our Sky Bar (Level 18), in December and with its floor to ceiling widows , offers some of the best views of St Petersburg. The eclectic menu and range of cocktails keeps our guests happy. Breakfast has become much more streamlined with a complete new restaurant design and more capacity which has helped us reduce the congestion.

Should you travels venture you back to St Petersburg, I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel, feel free to contact me directly on cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards Charles Otter – General Manager

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The rooms are clean, the hotel is far only 4 metro stations from the historical center, and the breakfast is delicious. Some problems with water pipes, which they promised to be solved soon. I would go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Although, it’s been a while since you wrote on trip advisor and stayed with us last year, I wanted to write and let you personally know that over the last year many changes have happened here at the AZIMUT Hotel St Petersburg, including a complete refurbishment of the public areas with a completely new reception, lobby and restaurants plus our new Sky Bar (Level 18) with amazing floor to ceiling panoramic views of St Petersburg was opened in December.

I wanted to let you know as you commented about the water pipes that we have completed this project which was a large part of the extensive renovation that has been going plus we have put new ventilation and air conditioning in all the public areas and the new SMART rooms.
I was glad to read that you would come back and stay again with us and we hope that your travels bring you back soon to our hotel.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The hotel is very big, so it takes often 300 meters and five floors to walk to my room from the reception. The hotel is poorly managed. First we received a room which was stinking, no air condition, no closet, no desk, and filthy. Because the alternate room I was offered was poor, after a day, I upgraded myself to a "suit", which was a regular room, with cracked sink and a desk lamp with a torn cord. The air-conditioning was ineffective. The management system is run like in a clumsy and complex soviet administration. Hotel taxis are expensive as much as three times than the cost for a regular Russian. Drivers are often impolite and know only Russian.
Breakfast is varied, medium quality. The hotel is not so clean.
In short, it was a disaster.
Perhaps in the renovated part it is better.

Room Tip: Do not go there !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank alantl
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Guest reviews are very important and I clearly understand that last August your stay was less than satisfactory. I wanted to write even though time has passed and let you know that over the last 12 months the hotel has undergone major changes, starting with my arrival 12 months ago and with a huge renovation project whereby you certainly would not recognize the hotel that stayed almost a year ago. I do agree that the hotel is large and clearly you do not stay in one of our newly renovated SMART Rooms and Suites. These new SMART rooms are fully air conditioned, modern and stylish and combined with our increased standards of cleanliness, and service we are now becoming a mid market international hotel. Also, we have fully renovated all public areas. I would be delighted to welcome you back and I am writing to you personally and I hope you will take up my office one day in the future to come back.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager