“Grand hotel for enjoying St Petersburg's treasures”
Review of Nevsky Hotel Grand

Nevsky Hotel Grand
Ranked #73 of 355 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Grand hotel for enjoying St Petersburg's treasures”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is located on a busy, increasingly elegant street, close to the historic centre of St Petersburg. Metro Nevsky Prospect is a 5 minute stroll away; the Hermitage, Admiralty and River Neva are all to hand. Although rooms are compact, they're well laid out, as are the bathrooms. Buffet breakfast is generous: pancakes, hot and cold savoury dishes, a variety of cakes and cereals, plus a range of hot and cold drinks. As this place grows increasingly popular, the restaurant can be very busy, so it's wise to get down there early if you want a leisurely breakfast. I've now stayed there on 3 occasions and will use it again. Staff are helpful, wifi is good, chilled and hot filtered water are available, and there's a fridge on one corridor in case you like to keep a few beers ready chilled. In common with most hotels in St Petersburg, you'll get the best rates from September through to April, and will have to pay much more for the Summer season.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are noisier, but I think the bathrooms are better on that side, as they have...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnneMoyes
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevsky Hotel Grand, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Your comments are very important to us and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at the Nevsky Grand. We wish you all the best and shall be looking forward to seeing you among our guests again.
Nevsky Hotels Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

It is known that hotels in good locations are often made from some old houses. This is no exception. While I do not know the specific history of the building, it appears kinda old. However it was renovated from inside, and you can get all what you expect from typical 3-star hotel.

The main downside is that room is rather small for two people and besides a double bed you have very little space left. We needed a hotel stay for the purpose of a sleep-over and were not about to spend daytime in the room, so it was ok for us. Aside the bed, you get 50-80 cm left on its sides of free space. There is also one chair, one large wardrobe, and a small but reasonable bathroom.

The water in tap was somewhat funny. Because when I tried hot water, it was too hot, and very steamy. So just be careful not to get burns. But if you do not switch to hot water right away, then it's just fine.

The water from the tap in Russia is not drinkable, and hotel provides drinking water dispensers on each floor, that can dispense hot and cold water. I really appreciate this touch. Wifi is free for guests and quite fast (10 Mbit measured by speedtest.net). On 6th floor, wifi internet was malfunctioning, giving me next-to-nothing, lousy connection, but as wifi from different floors were reaching out, I simply connected to another hotspot (they named after hotel floors), so if you got issues with your connection, just try other spots and it will be fine.

Another minor issue is 1 (one) power socket per room. Other one is in bathroom. If staying here again, I'd recommend to have a power extender cord with several sockets.

Room is equipped with window-type conditioner, that we did not used, as it was still very cold outside. Heater in the room is uncontrolled, and runs quite hot. Get ready to use open window to balance it out. In a long run room can be overheated with closed window. You do not have to worry about it when it's warm outside. Giving the size of the room, air con should manage ok. There is no central ventilation installed, so window is the only source of fresh air.

From what I saw on booking sities, the price for that room was a bit on bigger side to me, but I do not know the expenses of running such a hotel in Russia, so might not be a big deal, that price.

The restaurant on the main floor is pricey. To pay 8 euro for cup of tea is too much just about anywhere, including not so cheap Northen European countries, so I assume it's damn overpriced. Just stroll Nevsky Prospekt and find Chaynaja Lozhka (http://www.teaspoon.ru/) network. For 8 euro you can eat up full. There are many of other options without a 8 euro/teacup ripoff.

Location is indeed very very good, this is guaranteed. Staff is just purely nice, no error here, too. On request, they provided us with iron and ironing board. And room was clean.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review. We are happy that your overall impression of staying at the Nevsky Grand was positive. We are a little confused with your comment regarding the cost of a cup of tea. A cup of tea at the Cafe Grand costs 100 RBL, that is approximately 2,5 Euro. You can have a teapotful of tea for 200 RBL, that is approx. 5 Euro. There must have been something else to go with a cup of tea for the total price of 8 Euro. Anyway, you were right to mention the fact that there were lots of cafes and restaurants for various budgets in the surrounding area. So, our guests are always welcome to choose between a tasty and convenient meal at the Cafe Grand and a meal at any of the surrounding restaurants. Thanking you once again for such a detailed feedback we wish you all the best and shall be looking forward to seeing you among our guests again.
Uithoorn, the Netherlands
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A four night stay in this hotel was perfect for us in April. Although you have to be a contortionist to have a good shower if you are over 5"7, the room was clean, the bed was fine and the open window cooled the heater that was on full power ánd our beer/wodka.
Excellent location to see all sights, breakfast was value for money, the only draw back, but that is Russia for you, is that smoking is still allowed in the hotel (except for the rooms). Free water in the hallway so you don't have to try the tap water. rooms are a bit noisy, but who cares when you sleep after a full day of St. Petersburg.

Room Tip: Our room on the street side could be considered noisy with the window open, but we are used to it an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevsky Hotel Grand, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review. We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay at the Nevsky Grand. We wish you all the best and shall be looking forward to seeing you among our guests again.
Schenectady
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I would recommend this hotel if you are physically fit. I would recommend this hotel if you don't mind an old, two-star hotel that hasn't been refurbished since, probably, ever. It was very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful giving directions (although they don't arrange tours). The location is perfect if you're a tourist. Ten-minute walk to the Hermitage. Ten-minute walk to the Church of the Spilled Blood. Ten-minute wallk to the ballet. 200 yards from a 24-hour grocery store. 200 yards from Nevsky Street. A bank right up the street. But for anyone with any mobility issues it could be a problem. Just to get in the front door there are two 12-inch-high steps that could be a problem because, not only are they high, but there is no railing to hold on to. Good thing I had my cane. Then once inside there is a whole flight of stairs that you and your suitcase have to climb just to get to the elevator. (The reception desk is one flight up from where the elevator starts.) But the biggest hurdle was getting from the elevator to the hallway where the rooms are located. There's another 12-inch-high step to the hall, but there is a wedge at this step which, I'm guessing, was put there to get luggage up and down. The angle of the wedge is about 75 degrees so you have to step up and over it to get to the hall, and out and down to get to the elevator. You can't step ON it because it's too steep. Physically fit people can just bound over the wedge. If you're not physically fit...well...you wouldn't want to do it in a skirt.
I had a single room facing the street (my request). I don't like rooms that face a courtyard. They're boring. I like to be able to look out the window and see people and cars and action. The room was quite small and outdated by U.S. standards, but clean and adequate. The bathroom (this time a four-inch step up) appeared to have been updated. The shower was a walk-in (no tub) but the lip was only about an inch high, so if the shower curtain moved even a little, water would get all over the bathroom floor. By the second day I learned to put a towel along the edge where the shower met the floor. Problem solved. What I wasn't expecting was how thin the wall was from one room to the next. I could hear every syllable of every word the people in the next room were saying as clearly as if they were in the same room with me. I couldn't eavesdrop because they were talking Russian, but still.... There were 22 channels on the TV, the only one in English was that Euro-news channel that runs the same stories over and over again for days. I could open the window. Always nice to get some fresh air in the room. There's a computer for guests to use on the 7th floor, but the internet connection was sporadic. I never had to wait to use the computer.
The price of the room included breakfast at the cafe on the first floor (not the ground floor). Breakfast was an actual feast and available until 11 a.m. If you ate late enough you wouldn't have to eat again until dinner. I ate dinner in the cafe a coujple of nights and the food was good and somewhat reasonably priced.
If I were going back to St. Petersburg, yes, I would stay here again. It's a two-star hotel, but for the location, the price, the cleanliness, the breakfast and the staff, I'm giving it three stars. I would recommend this hotel, just don't expect brand, spanking new and be aware of the room-to-room "communication."

Room Tip: On the 7th floor there is no step between the elevator landing and the hall leading down to the roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Barbara K
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevsky Hotel Grand, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing. Your comments are very important to us and we appreciate your effort and time spent to write such a detailed review. We apologize for the inconveniences you had to experience within the walls of our property and hope they did not prevent you from enjoying your trip to St.Petersburg. Your comment regarding arrangement of tours seemed confusing to us, as we do arrange guided tours, transfers, theatre visits, etc. We shall certainly look into this issue and see to it that you were the first and the last guest of ours who got that kind of impression.
We thank you for having been our guest, wish you all the best and shall be looking forward to welcoming you again. We hope we shall be able to offer you more comfortable stay during your next visit.
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in the hotel. It is in a great location near main sight seeings and restaurants and the metro. The breakfast was very good with a good variety of (Russian...) things to choose from. I usually very picky with my coffee so I leave this out of the comment. The room was a bit 'too' well heated for my taste and the only downside was the shower which was working but one had to wait a few minutes before it got really hot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevsky Hotel Grand, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing. We are happy that you were satisfied with our service. Your comments regarding shower have been forwarded to our maintenance team so that they could identify and fix the problem. We wish you all the best and shall be looking forward to seeing you among our guests again.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My review is based on my 3 nights stay in March 2013.
Location: absolutely perfect, clearly unbeatable. Major sights are basically walking distance. Metro is 5 minutes walk. Airport is 20 minutes with metro + 10 minutes with shuttle bus, overall cost 1.5euro per person.
Rooms: 1st room was tiny with a cca.150cm wide double bed and one duvet. I was with a friend so we have asked for a different room with at least single beds or bigger bed with 2 sheets. Second room was smokey, even that it was non-smoking but spacious. Old wallpaper was dirty, could see the signs of the years on it. Generally was clean but don't look at the doors and other elements in detail. Also the bedcover had funny marks on it, really don't want to know what it was. Was absolutely freezing, we have asked for extra sheets, seemed that the small heating could not cope with the big room and it had a balcony with glass doors therefore was difficult to heat it up with a tiny heater. Spent a night in this room and next day when we walked in, we could smell it even more smokier and colder, so asked for another room. 3rd room was very nice, spacious, clean and better heated with an extra electric heater and it seemed that the room was newly renovated, new wallpaper. We were much happier in the next 2 nights.
Free wifi is great and fast. Tiny TV only has Russian channels or one with English news...
Bathroom: First 2 rooms only had a shower. Our 2nd room had such a tiny shower that if you were washing your body with shower gel you were keep hitting the wall with the elbow. If you were moving towards the other side then you were pushing the shower curtain away therefore flooding the bathroom with water. Also my friend washed her hair and the water was running down so slowly that the shower got filled up with water, overflood and flooded the full bathroom. 3rd room even had a bath, though very small one, you can only sit with the knees bend but after all the struggle and cold it was worth it for a few minutes. If you stay in the water longer either your back is cold not being in the water or your knees gets cold being out from water...so still recommend the shower.
Breakfast: was so weird and simple that after first day we decided that we are not even having our already paid breakfast. No fruits, only canned fruit salad. No vegetables. You can find meat with meat. Really not much for vegetarians. Even the scrambled eggs had ham in, and pizza with ham, sausages etc. My friend is vegetarian, she ended up eating a plain cold pancake. No nutella, maybe you can eat it with jam. She put a slice of cheese on it. No bread or rolls etc, only toast bread. Weirdest hotel breakfast experience ever.
Hotel in general: Can use computer and internet for free on the 7th floor. That is were I realized that there is gallons of water in the hallway provided for free (this was the last night when I discovered and we were keep buying bottled water every day, kind of pointless)
Breakfast is on floor 1 and reception is on floor 2. In between on the stairs you can smoke, not really pleasant to pass by smokers and smoke every time, so ended up running up the stairs all the time, keeping my breath in. Same applies when entering the hotel, you still have to come upstairs, though you can take the lift, which is normally pointless as only few steps to next floor.
Shuttle service: you can order a shuttle car/driver from the hotel to pick you up at the airport. Cost 15euro per person but we arrived at 10pm, so thought it was easier. The driver was generous, kind, informative, recommend this service if you arrive late. Also the lady organizing it, sent a reminder text message the day before to my phone about the pick-up. Impressive service, with nice car.
Mobile phone: I have a vodafone All-in-1-travel service, cost 2 euro a day with 20mins calls, 20sms and internet usage. Great service, but apparently it doesn't work in Russia.In 3 days, I have got charged 492 euro for internet usage, so would recommend to check your provider before travelling as the wifi in the hotel is pretty fast, so nonsense to pay extra for your mobile provider.
Staff: extremely friendly, kind and helpful. This was the best part of the stay. Even with all the room changes etc, they smiled, helped in everything. If it was in a different way, probably I would have unliked the whole experience, but our 3rd room and the great stuff made it worth it at the end.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank henider
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevsky Hotel Grand, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing. Your comments are really important to us and we appreciate your time and effort spent to write such a detailed review.
We apologize for any inconveniences caused by the small size of our rooms. This is the price we have to pay for being central and for occupying a historic building in the very heart of St.Petersburg. It is true that it can be rather cold in St.Petesburg in winter. For those of our guests, who do not feel warm enough in their rooms, we gladly provide additional electric heaters and extra blankets. You have rightfully noted that we provide free wi fi and cold & hot drinking warter. As for breakfast, we pride ourself for offering quite a variety of foods. For the vagetarians we offer hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese casserole, muffins, oatmeal, strudel, fruit salad, carrots, beetroots and cabbage salad.
We thank you for your kind words about our personnel. I will certainly share your comments with the team and I am sure they will appreciate your words and find them rewarding.
We wish you all the best and hope you will choose our hotel again for your next trip to St.Petersburg.
Belgrade
Reviewed March 16, 2013

After staying twice in Nevsky Moyka 5 hotel, I decided to try this property. Again, I want to confirm that Nevsky is really good. This is the biggest hotel from Nevsky chain. Small clean rooms, kind service...5 minutes walking from metro station, in the heart of the city. And always contact the property directly... I got the bes price directly from them. Thanks Karina!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevsky Hotel Grand, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Guests,
We thank you for your comments. We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay at the Nevsky Grand and appreciate your patronage. We hope you will give us more opportunities to welcome you at our hotels and we shall be looking forward to it.