“Should be better”

Ranked #114 of 355 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Should be better”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I gave this hotel a postive review after my stay in March, and based on that experience booked and stayed again over the last week. However there were a number of issues during my recent stay. First the courtyard has improved with the centre building being rebuilt. On checking in, I again found the staff friendly with excellent English, however the first problem occurred. I had booked, and paid for a double through an agency in the UK, but hotel stated the booking was only for a twin. At this time I do not know who's error this was. I then found the lift was not working which was not a major problem as we were on the flowest level of rooms (2nd floor). I did speak to the staff who advised it would be fixed Mid November. The room was small but clean and adequate. The next problem was that I was unable to connect to the internet. I could connect to the hotel wi fi system but not the internet through two browsers I use. I continually spoke to staff and was advised intially because it was a weekend it could not be fixed and then it was fixed and no explanation could be given for it not connecting (internet) with my laptop. They did mention some other customers had problems. On my previous stay I had no problems connecting, and on arriving home found my laptop to be working OK. One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was because of wi fi, and although they do offer a PC to use, I do not feel it is acceptable for it to remain out of use for 6 days. In relation to the rest of my stay, the breakfast is sufficient, the hotel's location is very good, and throughout the staff were helpful. In summary I really think the hotel should attempt to resolve the problems detailed in a more efficient manner, I accept the hotel is good value but any of things detailed could ruin what should be a pleasant stay, as for me I am visiting SPb in the near future and will consider other options. One final tip, try the Georgian Restaurant next door, it is excellent!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dun123
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed feedback. Your comments are very important to us. We are sorry about the wi fi problems you encountered and apologize. During the week you have mentioned our IT team had been changing the router and the process was not going smoothly, that is why it has taken so long. It is our fault that our front office staff has not been properly briefed on what was going on and could not explain what was happening. Now that the problem has long been fixed and wi fi works flawlessly as always, we hope you will reconsider and choose our hotel for your next trip to St.Petersburg again.
Nevsky Hotels Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Slovak first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We visited Russia for the first time, and were very happy to have found this little hotel which offered good value for money. The location is great - it is within walking distance to all main sights, and in addition it is located in an area that feels very safe. The staff was very helpful both in relation to the hotel and by helping out with taxis etc, and were fluent in English. The hotel is quite small but the breakfast was more than adequate considering the hotel's size and. Free wifi was offered in the hotel and worked flawlessly. Only downsides of our stay were the construction work going on outside the hotel (won't last forever though), and the carpets in the hotel rooms which felt a bit old. On the upside, the bathroom seemed to have been renovated quite recently. We'd be happy to come back here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for sharing. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your first visit to St.Petersburg and that our small hotel has contributed to your overall positive impressions. Now that construction works outside the hotel have been completed, surrounding territory looks new and tidy. Some public areas inside the hotel have been recently renovated too and we are planning to do more improvements during winter so that our hotel looks refreshed when spring comes. We hope some time will pass and you will start planning your second visit to our beautiful city and thus we shall have a chance to welcome you again.
Forli, Italy
Reviewed October 14, 2011

A very friendly, clean and warm place. The staff is fantastic and very kind.The entrance is not beautiful but the rest of the hotel is nice. Breakfast is good, but not excellent. The position is perfect to visit Hermitage museum and the center of the town. Is a little bit difficult to find the entrance to the hotel. Rooms are quite small, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom is nice and clean (bigger than rooms). Unfortunately in the courtyard before entrance there are many dangerous sassulka.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 230071Paolo
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are glad to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
If you come to St.Petersburg again, we shall be happy to welcome you in one of our hotels.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 1, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our short stay with Moyka 5 in early October - central lpcation, a nice, clean, renovated building, spacious room, very friendly and helpful staff - our special thanks to Elena. Would stay woth Nevsky Moyka again when in St Pete next time

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank MarinaPetukhova
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your comments. We are happy you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words about our staff. We shall be looking forward to your next visit.
Nevsky hotels Group
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Before I start my review, I will say this hotel is being renovated so improvements might be coming, but my stay here was far from good.
Check-in was quick and easy, but then I was told their elevator was "Temporarily Out of Order" so after 22-hours of flights and layovers I had to haul 60 lbs of luggage up 4-stories of stairs to get to my room. The sad part is I was booked at this hotel for 12-days and not once did their elevator work, so after long days of walking around and/or longs nights of partying I still had to walk up 4-flights of stairs to get to my room.
When I got to my room I found it to be small and poorly ventilated. The only window faced some large concrete structure that was being demolished by heavy equipment (starting at 7:30 am everyday), so to keep the window open during the day allowed for all the noise, dirt and dust to enter and because the window's screen was torn with gaps around its edges, it allowed for the mosquitoes to enter. This was horrible since the weather was quite warm several of the days I was there and the room became very stuffy.
The shower is very small. In fact, my friend and I made a joke that its like showering in a coffin. While obviously not that bad, it is small and if someone in the adjacent room flushes the toilet or goes to use their shower, the water temperature would drastically change. Also, for some reason their linen doesn't fit the mattress's which exposes 3" of mattress at the top and while sleeping, the linen would pull down further. More then once I woke up with some part of my upper body lying on bare mattress. Very gross!
The only time I went to eat their complimentary breakfast, I had walked downstairs and asked the lady at the front desk about breakfast, she said: I could have it upstairs or eat in their "kitchen", but when I walked into their "kitchen" the lady who was serving the food said: Upstairs please. I said I just wanted a quick bite to eat before I left, but she said the same thing. I guess she wanted me to walk back up 4-flights of stairs and wait in my room for my breakfast as the maid cleaned it, so I just took a piece of dried bread and left in disgust.
I will say this hotel is in an excellent location, along the Moyka canal and on the same street as a couple of consulates, so it feels pretty safe and the entrance to the hotel is gated. The hotel is across from the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood and right down the street is Palace Square, Winter Palace and the Hermitage. Also, several other sights are within walking distance of this hotel; there are also a couple of good restaurants and a small store near by. However, my time at this hotel left me sour and I will definitely never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ScumdogLuvsTraveling
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your time spent to write the review.
We apologize deeply for the inconveniences you had to endure. The elevator has been seriously damaged and remained out of order till the end of June when it was finally fixed and it works properly now. Reconstruction of an old boiler house located in the courtyard was initiated by the local authorities in the middle of May and is going to last till the end of August. We hope it will eventually lead to the renovation of the courtyard, and that will be to the advantage of our guests and all of us.
As for the smallness of our rooms and other facilities, this is something we cannot deny and never hide from our clients. Ours is a small hotel with small rooms and other guest areas. Breakfast area is located next to reception, just a few steps up, that is why kitchen lady has asked you to go upstairs. Breakfst area is also small, but offers everything necessary for a nice breakfast.
we are sorry that you had such an unfortunate stay with us and apologize deeply.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We hardly could fine a better location: hotel was within walking distance from everything.
Very friendly staff, comfortable rooms, good security. Our friend recommended this hotel and we were very grateful for his advise.

Room Tip: Get a room with air conditioner
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing. We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
If you come to St.Petersburg again, we shall be delighted to welcome you in one of our hotels.
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hotel’s position is great, the wi-fi connection is free of charge, and the rooms are clean. Unfortunately these are barely the only positive things we can say about Moyka 5.
We stayed there for 5 days, and the elevator was out of order all the time. The day we left, it had not yet been fixed. Since our room was at the 6th floor we were quite concerned about it, above all after having spent the whole day walking around the city.
About the room: since we were just under the roof it was hot (but still not as hot as a Russian banja). There was just a small window we could open, that was not enough to get some fresh air (there is no air-con in the rooms). We could not manage to get fresh air but - since there was a huge building side just beside the hotel - we had all the noise and dust we could desire instead.
The last night some people walked on the roofs of the empty buildings beside our room. Yet, since they were not actually walking on the hotel’s property, the receptionist told us that nothing could be done. Of course, the only thing we could do was to close our window.
The bed linen was too small for the mattress and the paper wall in the room felt apart.
The breakfast was below the average; moreover food and plates were not replaced.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Viaggiatrice7576
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review. Your comments are very important to us.
We are deeply sorry that your stay with us was spoilt by the elevator being broken, construction works outside and heat, which can be quite unbearable in St.Petersburg.
The elevator has been repaired since then and is in perfect order now. As regards construction works, we expect them to have been finished before the end of August. Otherwise there is hardly anything we can do about it, as it is unfortunately beyond our control. At the same time we hope that once construction works have been completed, the courtyard will acquire completely new look and that will be to the advantage of all our guests.