“Great location and that's where it ends”
Review of Hotel Moyka 5

Hotel Moyka 5
Ranked #117 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Bend, Oregon
“Great location and that's where it ends”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Before I start my review, I will say this hotel is being renovated so improvements might be coming, but my stay here was far from good.
Check-in was quick and easy, but then I was told their elevator was "Temporarily Out of Order" so after 22-hours of flights and layovers I had to haul 60 lbs of luggage up 4-stories of stairs to get to my room. The sad part is I was booked at this hotel for 12-days and not once did their elevator work, so after long days of walking around and/or longs nights of partying I still had to walk up 4-flights of stairs to get to my room.
When I got to my room I found it to be small and poorly ventilated. The only window faced some large concrete structure that was being demolished by heavy equipment (starting at 7:30 am everyday), so to keep the window open during the day allowed for all the noise, dirt and dust to enter and because the window's screen was torn with gaps around its edges, it allowed for the mosquitoes to enter. This was horrible since the weather was quite warm several of the days I was there and the room became very stuffy.
The shower is very small. In fact, my friend and I made a joke that its like showering in a coffin. While obviously not that bad, it is small and if someone in the adjacent room flushes the toilet or goes to use their shower, the water temperature would drastically change. Also, for some reason their linen doesn't fit the mattress's which exposes 3" of mattress at the top and while sleeping, the linen would pull down further. More then once I woke up with some part of my upper body lying on bare mattress. Very gross!
The only time I went to eat their complimentary breakfast, I had walked downstairs and asked the lady at the front desk about breakfast, she said: I could have it upstairs or eat in their "kitchen", but when I walked into their "kitchen" the lady who was serving the food said: Upstairs please. I said I just wanted a quick bite to eat before I left, but she said the same thing. I guess she wanted me to walk back up 4-flights of stairs and wait in my room for my breakfast as the maid cleaned it, so I just took a piece of dried bread and left in disgust.
I will say this hotel is in an excellent location, along the Moyka canal and on the same street as a couple of consulates, so it feels pretty safe and the entrance to the hotel is gated. The hotel is across from the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood and right down the street is Palace Square, Winter Palace and the Hermitage. Also, several other sights are within walking distance of this hotel; there are also a couple of good restaurants and a small store near by. However, my time at this hotel left me sour and I will definitely never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ScumdogLuvsTraveling
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your time spent to write the review.
We apologize deeply for the inconveniences you had to endure. The elevator has been seriously damaged and remained out of order till the end of June when it was finally fixed and it works properly now. Reconstruction of an old boiler house located in the courtyard was initiated by the local authorities in the middle of May and is going to last till the end of August. We hope it will eventually lead to the renovation of the courtyard, and that will be to the advantage of our guests and all of us.
As for the smallness of our rooms and other facilities, this is something we cannot deny and never hide from our clients. Ours is a small hotel with small rooms and other guest areas. Breakfast area is located next to reception, just a few steps up, that is why kitchen lady has asked you to go upstairs. Breakfst area is also small, but offers everything necessary for a nice breakfast.
we are sorry that you had such an unfortunate stay with us and apologize deeply.
Nevsky Hotels Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Slovak first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We hardly could fine a better location: hotel was within walking distance from everything.
Very friendly staff, comfortable rooms, good security. Our friend recommended this hotel and we were very grateful for his advise.

Room Tip: Get a room with air conditioner
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing. We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
If you come to St.Petersburg again, we shall be delighted to welcome you in one of our hotels.
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hotel’s position is great, the wi-fi connection is free of charge, and the rooms are clean. Unfortunately these are barely the only positive things we can say about Moyka 5.
We stayed there for 5 days, and the elevator was out of order all the time. The day we left, it had not yet been fixed. Since our room was at the 6th floor we were quite concerned about it, above all after having spent the whole day walking around the city.
About the room: since we were just under the roof it was hot (but still not as hot as a Russian banja). There was just a small window we could open, that was not enough to get some fresh air (there is no air-con in the rooms). We could not manage to get fresh air but - since there was a huge building side just beside the hotel - we had all the noise and dust we could desire instead.
The last night some people walked on the roofs of the empty buildings beside our room. Yet, since they were not actually walking on the hotel’s property, the receptionist told us that nothing could be done. Of course, the only thing we could do was to close our window.
The bed linen was too small for the mattress and the paper wall in the room felt apart.
The breakfast was below the average; moreover food and plates were not replaced.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Viaggiatrice7576
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review. Your comments are very important to us.
We are deeply sorry that your stay with us was spoilt by the elevator being broken, construction works outside and heat, which can be quite unbearable in St.Petersburg.
The elevator has been repaired since then and is in perfect order now. As regards construction works, we expect them to have been finished before the end of August. Otherwise there is hardly anything we can do about it, as it is unfortunately beyond our control. At the same time we hope that once construction works have been completed, the courtyard will acquire completely new look and that will be to the advantage of all our guests.
Paris, France
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The hotel is in the center of St. Pertersburg, and my room even had the window directly on The Saviour Church.
Service was good, ladies at the reception were nice and speak good english.
Breakfast is OK.
On the other side the elevator was KO (room at the 6th floor!)

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
We are sorry that the elevator was out of order during your stay with us and apologize for the inconvenience caused. The elevator has been fixed since then and works perfectly now.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2011

This is a small hotel set in a courtyard off a quiet street, adjacent to the historic centre of St Petersburg. The first impressions were not ideal as some of the nearby buildings are being renovated and in the courtyard opposite the hotel is an industrial unit which is totally out of context with the surrounding buildings. (It would be fair to add at this point that Moyka street is the home to many consulates so is certainly not an area to avoid, quite the contrary). The entrance of the hotel is controlled by the reception and on entering it is clear the hotel is maintained to a high level with excellent classical decoration. The reception staff all spoke excellent English, were friendly and very helpful. My allocated room had a double bed but was quite small. It contained a TV (BBC World), writing desk, wardrobe, refrigerator and small bathroom. There was also free wi-fi. Breakfast was a buffet but was quite simple which probably reflected the number of guess being catered for. It was sufficient, but I would have preferred more choice. In summary the first impressions in relation to the industrial unit, were not the best and created negative first views on this hotel, although to be fair it did not affect my stay. In relation to the accommodation/location it must be balanced that this is a city centre hotel. On the positive, the hotel is a nice environment (decor etc) and more important all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, from the room maid, kitchen lady to reception staff. I felt comfortable and safe there and would recommend this hotel as a good base to visit the beautiful and historic city of St Petersburg.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Dun123
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your impressions as well as for kind words about our staff and the atmosphere created in the hotel. We were delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and will be looking forward to welcoming you again some day.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Great location and the staff is very friendly. A nice place to stay in an expensive city center. The only complaint is room #11 - your head will be a wall apart from the elevator, so refuse it by all means. It is the only non-standard room remodeled off a staircase hall. Also, shampoo and shower gel are served in tiny plastic bags (those that look like McDonalds's ketchup bags) - impossible to open with wet hands (I had to use my teeth :)) - so get your own shampoo. Otherwise, good place to stay - clean and safe.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay at the Nevsky Moyka 5 Hotel. We are pleased to learn that you were satisfied with our service and found our hotel safe and clean. At the same time we deeply regret that your room was too noisy. Please accept our apologies. We shall look into this and see what we can do to improve the quality of the room.
Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in one of our hotels some day soon.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

All were quite good but my room was near the elevator so I always heard it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Hotel Moyka 5, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. We were glad to learn that your overall impression of our property was positive and are sorry that your room turned out to be too noisy for you. It is a pity that you did not report it to the front office manager at the reception. We would have offered you an alternative room at once. We hope that you will choose our hotel again when you plan to go to St.Petersburg next time. We shall see to it that your next experience with us will be totally positive.