“Nice room.”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #43 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My room was very comfortable. Unfortunately, some of the passengers in our group were under the dance club and were disturbed late into the night. A nice perk is the nearby convenience store two doors to the left as you leave the hotel - affordable water and snacks. There is a post office not too far from the hotel, but its difficult to spot because of its vague signage. There is a metro stop nearby.

Room Tip: Avoid a room under the bar/dance club.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JEMAltitude

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My room at this hotel was not as large as others on my tour, but it was large enough. It was clean, comfortable and nicely furnished. The lighting was good, but I am not sure the A/C was turned on as I tried adjusting the temperature and didn't see any change. There were two shops just off the lobby, one containing wonderful Russian made items and the other jewelry.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The hotel has average rooms but clean. The facilities are very good. Location is great. In walking distance to all the sights. Fresh food markets around the corner and plenty of food shops around the hotel. The downfall is that the restaurant on the 9th floor turns into a dance club at night. We are on the 7th floor and we have to put up with the head banging beat until 11 each night. We asked to be moved to a lower floor but the staff dont really care. Typical Russians. Dont expect any service.

Room Tip: Lower floors as music in 9th floor restaurant is loud until 11pm
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AdventureousAussie
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is my second stay at the Ambassador hotel; I had to spend a few days here for business purposes and upon the urging of my spouse extended the stay and took her with me. Russian hotels are rather on the expensive side, and my rating takes this fact into account. I deliberately chose to return to the ambassador, although our russian hosts had negotiated a deal with another hotel, which turned out to be only slightly cheaper for a less attractive location, a noisy breakfast room and a lacking pool. The ambassador has all this: A reasonably good location, a really nice breakfast room, and a pool with albeit limited opening hours.
It is true that not everybody of the staff speaks english, but the key functions are occupied with people in good command of the english language, and if you do not manage to cope in the hotel, good luck out on the streets!
Compared to other hotels in the same price category in other european cities, it is true that the rooms are a bit dull and smallish, but within its category in St. Petersburg, the hotel is an overall good choice. I should mention the very efficient room service, the possibility to open the windows (important for me), the transportation service to the airport, and the concierge who helped us to complete a form in russian.
As far as I am concerned, my search for a hotel in St. Petersburg is over, and I will always return to the ambassador.

Room Tip: The basic rooms have a view to the inner courtyard. For a reasonable fee, a better room with a city...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was staying in this hotel for 4 nights and my opinion is that the hotel meet all my expectations.
The room are clean and comfortable. Temperaturues in room was pleasant. Breakfast is hearty and delicious. My suggestion is to try patty with cabbage. Тhey are delicious.
The location is pretty good at walking distance from main attractions.Also nearby has a metrostation - named "Sadovaya".

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel for 8 nights as part of a music tour, and I was not disappointed.

Location: off Sadovaya street, opposite the Yusupof Gardens, within walking distance of St Isaac's cathedral, Nevsky Prospekt and two metro stations. (Warning: it can be tricky navigating the metro with a suitcase as there are often steps leading in and out of the station; once inside, use the escalators). The breakfast buffet/restaurant on the 9th floor have a fantastic panorama of the city, including the golden dome of St Isaac's. There is a 24-hr store nearby (great for snacks and water), and the Georgian restaurant a few doors down serves some great traditional food.

Reception: the lobby is impressive with marble stairs and a chandelier. The reception staff were friendly, although I did have some difficulty explaining a problem about an extra night's accommodation that I had booked but not yet paid for - a quick email to the reservations department (who speak better English) quickly rectified this problem. There is a lobby bar and spa/massage/beauty salon on the mezzanine level. Another big bonus was the free city maps and the ATM in the reception - it has a currency exchange function so that you can simply put your US dollars into the machine and get Russian roubles in exchange without having to worry about your ATM card getting swallowed up.

Room: reasonably spacious for a twin room. Large wardrobe, excellent in-room heating/AC (although the room did get quite stuffy), spacious bathroom with lovely amenities and huge fluffy towels. The shower was over the bath so it's a bit of a step in. Plenty of hot water. I didn't use the minibar or fridge. There was an in-room safe, as well as an area for storing and polishing shoes, keeping long jackets. Plenty of lighting and power sockets for charging devices, and there was a desk and a small writing table. I never brush my teeth in local water if the tap water is not suitable for drinking (and tap water in St Petersburg is not advised for drinking due to Giardia) so I can't comment about the taste like other reviewers.

Facilities: I did not use the swimming pool or fitness centre, but I did enjoy a 1-hour massage in the salon which was very relaxing and reasonably priced (compared with other overseas prices). You could book tours or taxis with the concierge but I also didn't require this facility. There is a souvenir and jewellery shop also on site.

Breakfast buffet was included in the room rate - HUGE RANGE of hot and cold options, traditional Russian items as well as standard items - an excellent way to start a long day of sightseeing. And I mean long day, because we visited in the middle of the White Nights so that it was daylight for most of the day and night.

It's meant to be a non-smoking hotel but I swear I could smell smoke each morning in the corridor - not sure if other guests were indulging against regulations.

The free wifi was fantastic - never any problems with access.

This was a great place to relax and unwind after a long day, and it was in a convenient location with easy access to currency exchange and public transport options - I would definitely stay again if I am fortunate enough to visit again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank TashfromMelb
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Beautifully designed relatively small hotel walking distance from the center of the city - Nevskiy prospect (will take about 20 minutes to walk along Sadovaya street or Griboedov's canal). My room was not too big, but nicely done. Other rooms, they showed me were bigger, but did not want to move in the middle of my 1 week stay. Staff is great, facility very clean, WiFi worked great. Reception area is beautifully setup with huge crystal chandelier and the royal stairs leading to an event place. I did not have time to see the gym and the pool, but someone told me - they were pretty nice. But the best part was a restaurant on the top floor - incredible view of the city!
I had a WONDRFUL time staying there. Breakfast was a little pricy and if you do not want to pay $25 for it, there are plenty of small coffee houses around. But lunch was 5 stars for the price of 3 stars! We paid for 2 people less than $50.
I went to St. Petersburg for a "White nights Tango festival" and daily visited another (very big) hotel where all tango activities were taking place "Azimuth" - day and night!
I do not agree with George966 - in my experience stuff was great, of course I speak both English and Russian languages.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces back - windows looking to the back of the building if you want the view. M...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo