“An Affordable Hotel Ideal for Visiting St. Petersburg”
Review of Hotel Vera

Hotel Vera
Ranked #29 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed 6 nights in June 2014.

While the hotel is within a 12-15 minute walk to the nearest Metro station, the trolley buses are extremely convenient, cheap and easy to use. Trolley buses 5, 7 and 11 stop next to the hotel, cost RUB 25 (less than $1) with tickets purchased from a conductor on the bus (change given). The trolley buses pass the Metro, the Moskovskiy train station and travel along Nevsky Prospect to the Hermitage, St. Isaac's Cathedral and the Neva River. Really, too easy!!

The hotel is located in a converted building dating from1903. As such, rooms and hallways are odd shaped which adds to the boutique nature of the hotel.

Our room was on the fifth floor facing the back of the building making it extremely quiet. Air con on the fifth floor is controlled by the front desk. When we arrived we found our room a bit warm. Our request for a slightly cooler temperature resulted in an immediate adjustment that left our room at an ideal temperature for us. There are also window screens to keep out the mosquitos if you want to open the windows.

Our room was clean, a reasonable size with a flat screen TV, free WiFi and in-room safe. The safe is key operated and will only hold passports and other small items (not large enough for a laptop or iPad). The bathroom was a good size with bath/shower.

Check-in/out was quick and easy. The staff are very friendly and helpful. All reception staff speak good English, along with most restaurant and bar staff.

Cafe Vera offers a good selection of reasonably priced Western and Russian cuisine. There is also a nice area in the lobby to enjoy a relaxing drink and/or meal after a day of sightseeing.

Breakfast, included in the room rate, is a typical continental style buffet breakfast.

The hotel also offers a laundry service (wash, dry, fold) for RUB 400 per laundry load which is excellent value compared with usual hotel prices.

The hotel can arrange for you to be met at the airport or train station for a reasonable price as well as return taxis. Certainly worth it and recommended for first time visitors to Russia.

I booked directly with the hotel and Leon responded immediately to all of my emails and provided helpful additional information and recommendations.

Would most definitely stay here again. Highly recommended based upon location, value for money and friendly helpful staff who clearly want you to enjoy your stay and visit to St. Petersburg.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank pyctravellingman

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to St. Petersburg.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We were very satisfied at the hotel Vera. We stayed there for seven nights. We had a family suite on the 6th floor. Room was clean, linen and towels changed regularly. Breakfasts are simple but good. Dining at the hotel restaurant great and very tasty. Girls at the reception have very good English. Trolley bus stop few metres from the hotel. Trolley buses go directly to the Neva River and the Winter Palace. Trolley buses are good for strollers. Metro station is a 10-minute walk through a nice neighbourhood. Prior to our arrival, communication with Leon was excellent - visa support, transportation from the airport, tourist information. In my opinion we could not have chosen better hotel.

Room Tip: Room on 6th floor have a/c and no nets in the windows. Other rooms have no a/c but nets in the windo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Martina D

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We try to provide the best possible value for our guests and we're glad that you were able to recognize that

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Trip of a lifetime. Weather was fantastic, warm and sunny.
Hotel Vera had been very helpful prior to our visit, with information and documents required to get our Russian visas.
Hotel was very good, lovely big bedroom and great bathroom. Comfortable beds and ample storage space. Breakfast buffet had plenty of choice , hot and cold, and on Easter Sunday there was a Russian Easter Cake!
It is situated within walking distance of the main Nevsy Prospekt and access to buses, metro and canal trips. Local corner shops, for bottled water etc. just minutes away. Most of the main attractions are within walking distance and the only time we used public transport was because I wanted to see the stations and platforms on the metro. Chandeliers and marble statues, and the deepest escalators I have ever been on.
Hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are very glad that you chose to stay with us over the Easter holiday. We try to provide the best possible value for our guests, and we're glad that you were able to recognize that.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at the hotel vera, the staff is very friendly, the rooms are extremely clean and the overall experience was a great value for the money. We especially like that the ladies at the front desk spoke pretty good English and the bar area is very nice. The breakfast is good and the location you just can't beat.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I spent 8 nights (May 29th - June 6th) at the Hotel Vera, this was my third stay at this wonderful little boutique hotel. Prior to my arrival, the hotel assisted me with my Russia visa support and transfer from the airport.

Once again, I can say only good things. I was greeted at the front desk upon my arrival, check in was smooth and efficient. I arrived prior to check-in, however, the receptionist called upstairs to see if my room was ready, it was, and I was allowed to take my room a couple of hours early. After a 15-hour flight I was happy to unpack, refresh and get some rest. Thank you to the hotel staff for this courtesy, it was much appreciated.

The room was clean, comfortable and all that I required during my stay. A small fridge allowed me to fill it with beverages, fruit and other snacks while I was working at the desk in my room. A skylight in the ceiling was a really nice touch. The blinds could be easily adjusted to keep the intense afternoon sun out. The air conditioning was also a benefit as the temperature hit 29 and 30 C on a couple of days.

I was on the 6th floor and made use of a charming seating area, complete with big comfy chairs and a library. I was able to access the hotel's free WI-FI which allowed me to check emails and chat with my family back home. Wonderful personal touches indeed!

The breakfast room is open from 8 am to 11 am daily. The selection is fresh and plentiful: kasha (my favourite), hot (sausages and eggs) and cold (assorted cold meats, cheeses, vegetables), plus cereals, breads, fruit and yogurt. Tea, coffee, juices and milk are plentiful. The staff are extremely efficient in keeping the tables clear of dirty dishes and replenishing the food for guests.

The Cafe Vera offers fixed price lunches and dinners. The menu offers something for every one. Delicious soups, salads, pizzas, appetizers, and numerous main courses. The quality of the food is superb, the presentation is beautiful. The prices are extremely reasonable, the service friendly and efficient.

Each room contains a binder filled with helpful information on the hotel, its rules and the many amenities which it offers its guests. Included are helpful tips on using the Metro and bus system. The Metro is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel, while the bus stops outside the hotel. The fare for the latter is 25 rubles, you pay the conductor on the bus. The No. 7 and No. 11 buses will take you along the Nevsky Prospekt to the State Hermitage Museum. This information is extremely helpful, simple to use and will save travellers a lot of money that they would have to pay for drivers and guides.

Prior to my departure, the hotel arranged my transfer to Pulkovo Airport. I had a very early departure (my flight was at 6 am) and upon check out I was presented with a small boxed breakfast, which consisted of a sandwich, an apple and yoghurt. This was a nice touch.

Once again, I must commend the entire staff at Hotel Vera, from the front desk staff, to the housekeepers, for making my stay in St. Petersburg so enjoyable. They were all extremely friendly and helpful. I believe that the management have made great efforts to train their staff to conform with Western levels of customer service. I was most impressed and will certainly return again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Paul G
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again! We appreciate your patronage and are glad that you enjoyed your stay., and would be happy to welcome you back again on your next visit St. Petersburg

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Good hotel for a weekend break with friends. The staff were extremely helpful and really made our stay special. The location unfortunately meant we spent over £40 a day on taxis to and from the main attractions and this should be taken into consideration when booking. Our room on the 4th was large but sadly the beds were not very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Taxis in St. Petersburg are truly expensive, but 40 pounds a day is excessive. If you had ordered a taxi at the front desk of the hotel, the fare would have been fixed in advance and would be considerably less than you end up paying when you go by the taxi’s meter. This is described inside the guest folder located in all rooms and would have been explained to you had you inquired at the front desk. The maximum cost of a taxi when ordered by phone (from the front desk) to anywhere In central St. Petersburg is 300 rubles (~5 pounds). Hotel Vera is actually located very close (less than 100 meters) to public transportation, and trolleys are usually the best and most inexpensive way to access tourist attractions from the hotel. There are hotels that are more centrally located, right next to some of the major attractions, which are significantly more expensive. We believe that its location makes Hotel Vera one of the better hotel values in St. Petersburg.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We enjoyed our time at the Vera, and liked the value for money.
The staff is very pleasant and very helpful. We were there for Victory Day, and they did their best to ensure that we knew the lay of the land.
Our room was peculiar - it was on the 6th floor, which is the top floor, so the ceiling was slanted and was too low to pass by in a good portion of the room. The room is spacious enough, with a desk and a lot of floor space, just not very tall.
The room was also very warm because of the central heating but we were just told to run the AC unit- no problem in the end but strange.
Location is good - it's only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the Moscovskiy train station and the Ploschad Vosstania metro station. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is quiet.
Breakfast in the café was pretty good, and there was a pretty good selection as well.

Room Tip: 6th floor ceilings are low
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple