“Honeymoon in Russia” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Vera

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Vera
Ranked #36 of 332 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Honeymoon in Russia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Me and my wife spend one week of our Russian honeymoon in St Petersburg at Hotel Vera. We indeed very much appreciated the experience. The welcoming service was most welcomed, due to the challenge of the big flight from the EU to Russia (the custom check at Pulkovo airport were so slow). The room was nice and with a relaxing sauna available. The food at the cafe was fine, the cocktails too. The hotel is in a central location but not close to a metro stop. This is a general issue in Russia since the distances in the country are huge (when compared to EU ones). In any cases we always managed to travel to and back from the city center proper walking and enjoy the view and the shopping road in the mean time. Very friendly young stuff, most of which can speck English. Just a bit slow in delivering room service pizza for late dinner (but we all know that pizza is not the national dish). Overall: we indeed recommend it, especially if booked in advance.

Room Tip: Room 505 - Deluxe: very nice and quite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank FiGiMa
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us for your honeymoon and appreciate your feedback,

Vera Fisher, Reservation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked 9 nights at the Hotel Vera, this was my second stay. On my previous visit in 2012, I had some issues with regard to the service in the restaurant and the front desk; however, I must say that I was very pleased (and impressed) to experience an enormous improvement during my recent visit.

I was warmly greeted upon my arrival (the hotel will even arrange airport transfers and visa support), check in was quick and efficient. I had the same room that I had last year! I was on the 6th floor and like it because it is quiet. There is also a small seating area with large comfy armchairs and a selection of books to read. I made use of this spot almost daily for quiet reading or work.

My room was clean and comfortable, ideal for one person. It included a desk and chair which was of great use while I was working. It was quite hot during my stay in St. Petersburg so I truly appreciated the air conditioning in my room. There are water coolers found on each floor where one can get a ready supply of both cold and hot drinking water 24/7 – a nice touch I might add!

Breakfast is served in the breakfast room which is located in the basement. It is clean, bright and well maintained. The first meal of the day is hearty and filling: cold meats, cheeses, breads, fruit, eggs, sausages, kasha, etc. with good strong coffee or an assortment of teas and juices. The staff work hard to keep the food coming and the tables cleared and cleaned for the next wave of guests. The lady in charge greeted me every morning with a charming smile and "доброе утро". The hotel seems to be popular with groups and when the breakfast room is full one is welcome to use the tables upstairs in the bar area which allow a large window view.

I really enjoy the Café Vera and dined here almost daily for lunch or dinner. I also invited Russian friends to dine with me in the restaurant and they were very impressed with the quality of the food. The menu offers a wonderful selection of hot and cold dishes, delicious entrées (including vegetarian). The food is beautifully presented by the hotel’s excellent chef, tasty and affordable. The ice cream is a must!

I really do have to compliment the hotel staff: front desk, restaurant, housekeepers, even the security in the lobby are very friendly and helpful. Most of them speak very good English, and those who can’t certainly make a good effort. I would like to remind visitors who travel to Russia that learning a few simple words and phrases in Russian will reap you benefits and open doors.

The location of the hotel was no longer an issue with me during this stay as I made a point of using the buses and nearby Metro to get me about the city. After you do it once it becomes old hat. It also allows one to see St. Petersburg from a local’s perspective. Nevsky Prospekt is only a 10-minute walk from the hotel, and I even walked to the Hermitage one day in about 45 minutes.

I must say that I am very disappointed, and somewhat shocked by some of the negative comments made by others about this hotel. Many of them are unfair, others are ridiculous! I truly believe that the owners and management are doing their utmost to train their staff and improve service on an ongoing basis.

I have been to St. Petersburg more than 20 times and have stayed at a variety of hotels including the 5-star Astoria and the Angleterre. I prefer the smaller boutique style hotels, such as the Hotel Vera. I will return next year and once again make this charming hotel my “home” in St. Petersburg.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank your choosing to stay with us once again and we really appreciate your feedback! As you can see, we take all of our guests' comments seriously, and try our hardest so that they have the best possible experience.

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is a bit off the center district, but the bus stops are closed by with bus that can arrive almost every attractions that you can think of. The bus is also very cheap with 25 one way.
The hotel staff is very helpful with good English speaking skill and there is even a happy hour down at the lobby cafe which me and my friend really enjoy.
The room itself is very nice, we got the top floor with two nice attic windows and the room is quite spacious.
Overall, a very good experience and I will definitely recommend friends to stay there if they visit St. Petersburg.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was not easy to find a hotel to spend a week in St.Petersburg without spending a fortune. Eventually, we tried our luck with Hotel Vera. It turned out to be a fully reasonable choice. The service staff is kind and helpful, our room at 6th floor was confortable as one can expect from the hotel class, clean and well managed. Good speed wireless Internet access is avaiable averywhere on the hotel premises. Breakfast offers an choice of ~10 different salty and sweet options (overall good), as well as a large palette of fine teas. A large number of trolleys and buses run in front of the hotel door, making the location convenient to reach the centre. The surrounding area is quiet, even if a bit dull. However, it hosts a good number of simple Russian restaurants, that are also worth experiencing with.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We chose the Hotel Vera based on advice from Trip Advisor reviewers and we were not disappointed. Before we arrived, Leon helped us arrange our Russian visas - which for first time travelers to Russia can be a very daunting experience. We were sorry he wasn't here to thank in person when we arrived. Our six-day stay was uneventful and smooth. The hotel is very clean and well-maintained. The bathroom (hot water, etc) and in-room free wifi functioned perfectly. The beds are comfortable. The desk staff is friendly with sufficient English for basic hotel work. The breakfast buffet has enough variety that you don't have to eat the same thing every day, but nothing spectacular. The hotel cafe has a decent menu if you want to eat a meal or a snack in. The neighborhood is quiet and has shops for things you might need like shampoo or an occasional yogurt. You need to take a bus to get to the main tourist areas (Nevsky Prospekt, the Hermitage, the Mariinsky Theater), but the number 5 that stopped a half block away and ran quite frequently served us well throughout our stay - dropping us right near everywhere we wanted to go. (The bus costs 25 rubles per person and you pay the conductor on the bus. She will make change for you.) The Hotel Vera is a good deal for a moderately priced, reliable hotel.

Room Tip: The sound-proofing and light-blocking curtains are good enough that you can sleep well even on the s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susangz
Dear Guest,

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your feedback.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

After entering the Hotel is takes a 10 Minute Travel to REACH the Room. I Thing we changed seversin buildings strange fire exit Doors to reach 518. Also 6th Floor Rooms ara worse because Of Roof. The shower was veri bad and awful smell Comes out Of the Toilette.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elfthief
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We are very sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay at Hotel Vera and we do appreciate your feedback. To be totally accurate, the distance from the elevator to room # 518 on the 5th floor, indeed the longest in the Hotel, is 73 meters (under 250 feet), which generally takes less than a minute to walk. There are two stairwells along the way, every 21 meters, with fire doors as mandated by regulations. We are sorry that these doors were not to your liking. We are also sorry that you had not complained to the staff about the shower and smell. After you checked out, we did discover that a drain trap in the plumbing system needed to be replaced. When we replaced it, which took a matter of minutes, the smell disappeared immediately. We do apologize that there was a problem with it during your stay.

Vera Fisher
Belmont, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We were referred to Leon, owner of the Hotel Vera, St. Petersburg, Russia, by a friend . We were promised a room with a garden view. We were quite surprised to learn that this meant an alley/roof tile view! Additionally, the "pure" water on each floor tasted awful! It was as though the plastic containers. were themselves unsanitary or that chemicals were leaching from them! (The tap water is unsafe to drink because of Giardia..) The water did vary from floor to floor in its level of unpleasantness.
On the bright side, however, although the hotel is not "centrally" located, it is within a half block of the #5, 7, 11, and 46 bus lines. These quickly and easily can transport one to the major sights!
The breakfast was good, and the Vera Cafe serves good traditional cuisine.
If we were to return to St. Petersburg, we would not stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was surprised and frankly a bit shocked to read your comments. You were never asked to choose a room with a “garden view”, but were indeed given several room options. Quoting from the first of numerous letters sent to you, you were offered a choice of "one room facing the backyard, it is quiet and with a fireplace, on the 4th floor, and there is also one on the 5th floor, facing the street, with a jaccuzzi tub and a kitchenette." To which you responded, "It's the garden-facing view on the 4th floor that we'd prefer" and we took it to be the backyard facing room rather than the street facing one. In general, garden facing rooms in City hotels in St. Petersburg are very rare and are available only in some very expensive properties, and even then we talk of roofed “winter gardens”. In subsequent letters to you, we again used “facing backyard” in describing this room.

Regarding your complaint about the water, we offer drinking water to our guests in 5-gallon containers that are placed on each guest room floor and replaced every 1-2 days. These are standard drinking water containers and coolers that are found everywhere in the world, including the United States. Your complaint about the water is the first we have received in almost 8 years of operation.

Vera Fisher