The State Museum of the Political History of Russia
Ranked #61 of 1,837 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This museum was partly closed for renovation when we visited, so we didn't manage to see it all. However, what we did see gave us a fascinating history of politics in Russia which we really enjoyed. The guides in each room were very helpful and gave us a printed booklet to help us to find out way around. Another guide spoke to us for about 10 minutes about Russia and England which was very nice.

The museum brought to life the events of the 80's and 90's in a very interesting way. Well worth the visit.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is one of my favorite museums in Saint Petersburg. They are the few ones which are telling the truth about our history.

1  Thank Catalina1001
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We loved this museum, it is not huge but it is well laid out. We loved seeing where Lenin worked and particularly the famous balcony. There were English binders in each room - be sure to look for them - that explain the contents of the room, which was hugely helpful. It is well worth a visit if you enjoy your Russian History.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Visited this museum as part of a "Revolutionary St. Petersburg" tour while in town on a cruise. Because we were a small group, and it's a small museum, we had the place almost to ourselves.

If you are at all interested in Russian/USSR history, and esp. the Bolshevik Revolution, you must visit this museum. It's located in the former home of a ballerina, who skipped town early in 1917 when the city was changing. Lenin set up his headquarters in the house when he returned to St. P., and you can see his work area, and the balcony from which he spoke to the crowds.

The USSR created a museum to Lenin in the space, then in the early 1990s, it because the State Museum of Political History.

The museum staff are informative and helpful, and nearly all of the exhibits have English explanations also.

After the crush of the Hermitage, this was a welcome change.

2  Thank KDUB7
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was in St. Petersburg with my wife. On a very rainy day, she wanted to stay back in the apartment and I was given free reign to roam the town. This was one of the places I hit, and I was glad I did! My wife is glad she didn't go, as she's not a history junkie like I am. That's my first caution: my five stars are for history junkies. If you're a person that isn't into that stuff, then you're going to wonder why you're looking at a bunch of photographs and posters.

If you're into it, though, you will love the trove of primary source documents to wade through. It's not here to present a balanced vision of the past, but to present the history of what used to be the official version of the past. There are folders with English explanations for each exhibit room, but you'll flesh out your experience with a passing knowledge of Russian.

The section on the Russian Civil War is particularly interesting for its display of anti-communist propaganda. It's stuff you certainly don't see just anywhere.

It's a fascinating place that I had a great time scouring. If you're not into history, then it's not for you. If you are, it's an awesome awesome awesome place.

1  Thank zzzptm