Astoria Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$299
  • Restaurant
Pushka Inn Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$181
$154
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $186/night.

Helvetia Deluxe Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$155
  • Restaurant
Petro Palace Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$182
$129
  • Pool
Domina St. Petersburg(St. Petersburg)
$165
  • Pool
$252
$487
1,258 results
All reviewswinter palacerooftop restaurantpalace squarestandard suitetop floorsteam roomroom serviceperfect locationturn down serviceseparate showerconcierge desknevsky prospectspilled bloodhotel is beautifulbreakfast staffcaviarwonderful city
Reviewed May 13, 2008

I stayed with my husband at this hotel for two nights. We arrived at an auspicious and complicated time -- just before the May Day parade (8:30 AM) when the roads were all blocked off to the hotel in anticipation of the tanks passing through. Fortunately, our female driver managed to talk her way through the blockade. However, the street was lined with soldiers and when we pulled up to the hotel, we had to speedily unload our luggage. Two men looking like valets stood there without offering to help us while my husband and I unloaded our 5 pieces of luggage quickly and carried it to the front desk. Seems they're just ornaments for the hotel and serve no other purposed

The girl that checked us in was very sweet. We were ushered to our room by another young woman, and our luggage was then brought to us. Had the porters taken the time to actually put it on the luggage rack attached to the wall, they would have noticed that it wasn't functioning.

The room was small with a lousy view and a landing outside our window -- never a safe feature for guests. Considering how exquisite the city is from so many vantage points, we were very disappointed that this is all we could see from our room.

We left the hotel immediately because we had a guide waiting for us (something I strongly suggest for anyone visiting Russia).

The room cost Euro 319 without breakfast. Unfortunately, the only thing available was a buffet breakfast at Euro 39. Since I wanted only coffee and toast, this was a huge amount of money to spend. We asked the concierge to recommend a cafe nearby, where we went, only to find it closed. I should think that the concierge at a 5-star property should know which cafes are open at 9 AM and which are not. On our own a day later, we found several in the opposite direction that she never suggested on a more interesting street.

The soap stand in the shower repeatedly fell off the wall whenever one put anything on it, the bulb in the lamp on the night table was burnt out, which we removed and left on the table for the chambermaid to change -- where it remained when she cleaned the room the next day. Worse, she left the 4-foot window wide open -- the one overlooking the landing! -- when she cleaned the room and while we were out, making it possible for anyone to simply walk into our room and take what we had left there. Hardly the level of service and competence one would expect from this level hotel

We enjoyed the Relaxation Room that has a whirlpool and exercise equipment, tea, juice and cookies -- but no decent light to read if one really wants to relax there.

We had purchased something, and asked the concierge if he had any cord that we could use to wrap it up. Surely, something one would expect to find in a hotel of this kind. He wasn't sure, he said, so we told him that we would return in a few hours and he could let us know then. When we asked him later, he said that the hotel did not have any cord -- and in all the time that we were gone, he did nothing to secure any for us. Again, not what I would expect from a 5-star hotel.

When we checked out, we were hit with a 50% surcharge for having checked in at 8:30 AM. The front desk agent told us that the person checking us in should have told us this. I told her that if she had, I would have refused to pay it. Or, I would have had them leave my luggage in a secure area while we went out. We never used the room until the late afternoon. We did several rounds on this matter, but I simply refused to pay. And she finally removed the charge.

The hotel is well located and has an understated elegance. But I would consider other options if I were to stay again in St Petersburg (or Peter, as the locals call) .

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Shirley Z
Reviewed February 24, 2008

After having a so-so experience at the Kempinski in Moscow, this was a welcome change. The staff here was very helpful and the location of the hotel was perfect. You'll be a 5 minute walk from Nevsky Prospect, the Hermitage and Church of Spilled Blood.

The Breakfast buffet was very nice and the staff was very helpful. Rooms were very comfortable - at one point we weren't feeling great and this was an easy room to relax and regain your steam. If you request a room towards the top floors you'll have a chance at some great views.

The spa upstairs was ok. The whirlpool was lukewarm and the massage service was not the most relaxing.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank kridot
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We chose the Kempinski for our girls weekend to St P. our holiday base being in Moscow. We took the overnight train(excellent service) and after a day's sightseeing our guide dropped us at the hotel at 3 p.m. Overall it was an excellent stay and the rooms were clean, a good size with very good facilities.

The breakfast was exceptional with plenty of dried and fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, breads and cold meat, cheese and fish and the usual cooked fare. We were surprised at the great selection after reading some of the reviews here.

There was a sports awards ceremony at the hotel whilst we were there with the likes of Federer and Warne staying, so whether that had anything to do with it...we don't know.

The down side...our rooms were not ready and we were promised complimentary tea and sandwiches whilst we were waiting, but they took nearly an hour to arrive. So we ordered drinks at the bar and were stung for nearly £50 for three glasses of white wine! I would stay there again for the location and rooms.

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank ScoutHampshire
Reviewed January 31, 2008

Having stayed at The Angletterre exactly two years to the week prior to this trip, I had very high expectations. St Petersburg is a magical city and our last trip had been possibly the best holiday of my life - why not just stay at the Angletterre again? Well this was a birthday present from my lovely lady and she had gone for luxury in every sense.

So, we were picked up at the airport by the hotel taxi (in my opinion a must for any trip to Russia). The hotel is beautifully situated on the banks of The Moika river and just a few strides from the Winter Palace. A stunning facade leads you to an impressive foyer area. The staff are generally superb, helpful, informed and very smart. We had a 'junior suite' which was a decent size with a high quality bathroom etc. The bed was good and the place was spotlessly clean and kept so throughout our stay.

Breakfast was very good with a huge selection on offer (including Russian champagne which is a great way to start the day). The large restaurant on the top floor is stunning with fantastic views. Unfortunately, at least in our experience the food didn't match the view! The place was almost empty and in truth the food was very poor and fairly expensive. The booze is prohibatively so!!! In fact both the restaurant and the bar were excessively expensive and whilst I genuinely have no problem spending money, I did feel a little pained by this to the extent that we ended up frequenting the far better and far cheaper bar/restaurant at The Angletterre!

Another strange point is that at no stage in our stay did anyone restock the mini-bar. I know we could have queried this but I'd just expect that sort of basics from this class of hotel - not a big issue really.

This hotel is beautiful, it looks, feels and is expensive. For me it has the feel of a business hotel as oppose to the type of place you would take a holiday break. There is nothing about the place that I would criticise other than the restaurant and the price of drink, but it just lacks that warmth / charm that you get with a smaller independent establishment.

To stay at a reasonable level of hotel in St Petersburg is fairly expensive, in my opinion your money would be better spent at The Angletterre. There is nothing significantly wrong with the Kempinski - but equally there is nothing that makes it significantly stand out.

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank Petrushka3
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We had a most enjoyable stay in the Kempinski which was spotlessly clean and the staff were always polite and helpful.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel but the food was excellent with an abundance of choice.

The location is ideal, literally a couple of hundred yards from the Hermitage.

Would stay again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple